Juicy John Dory June...what did you keto today thread

food

Gave Carly nearly a full burger.
So I treated myself to some fresh raspberries and blueberries with some cool soured cream with a topping of chia seeds…my go to comfort dessert. (I only had a jar of pickled cockles for brunch.)

Random Carly pic time.
Carly is pretty wrecked after all the sunshine and burger…she just wants a dimmed room and a cool floor to chill on. No farting Carly, you are supposed to be a lady.

Planning ahead for tomorrow, 4 streaky bacon wrapped chicken breasts with peppercorn sauce.
I’ll share with workmates.
Tonight, marinated king prawns with mushroom in the air frier. TBC.

Marinated King prawns, with f all else :-).

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #48

From my local Shropshire butcher. Rump and bacon. Mushroom for scale and accompaniment

That mushroom stole the show mate!

I’m doing slow cooked beef today.

It’s been on the slow cooker all night…the aroma is driving me nuts.
I’ll post a few pics later.

Bump.

My goodness, I forgot to take pics of my stewed steak!
Hours and hours in the slow cooker.

You are just going to have to believe me; i guess.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #52

ahahha I did that recently so just posted the empty plate lol :man_shrugging:

Bit boring recently, and simple. (I’ve had no time.)

Beef rolls and cheddar slices…they looked better when the cheddar slices melted a bit tbh :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #54

For hearts, if you sous vide them for a while, say overnight or a day, at lower temps, 132F or so, the fat becomes edible. If you don’t cook them for a fairly long time, the fat is quite hard.

Edit: Had to look up “pickled cockles”:

So now…Back to Basics.
Chicken chasseur, tonight. But a whole chicken, with British extras.

So, this is the (small, 1.3 kilo) bird, taken out after a half hr roasted on a
bed of Soy sauce, and covered with the secret chausseur mix (bought in Tecos).
I just added chopped mushrooms, onion, and a couple of different coloured peppers.
Then I noticed it wasn’t going to cut the mustard, so to speak, with the added veg.
So I added another 450ml (I already had with the above mix), and another 40 mins in the oven, with the foil loose.
Very nice, Carly says.
image:

Yep, the best pickled cockles in the world. And Mussels.

Very expensive on Amazon, compared to me buying locally. But sure, what can one do? I get produce from everywhere, and usually from Amazon.

Bob, I haven’t even felt the need to sous vide…and I’m not really sure what it is?

Slow cook in a bag?

Any good?

Just to qualify…I don’t think I’ll be eating hearts again (unless slow cooked), and I won’t buy them again, unless for my pup.

Not for me.

(Mike W.) #58

When you can’t decide between ribs, and ribeye, you have both!

Nice!

I have a chicken too (about the size of yours. once I got a 900g hen, that was so tiny but great for a soup, it’s specifically sold for that purpose), I wanted to roast it but I don’t care. It’s a WHOLE chicken and I am afraid I would just eat it up except the breasts and my protein intake will be a personal record and I will be shocked for years when thinking about it… I am on a mission of protein minimalization and chicken is the enemy there.

But I will do something with it one day and it’s nice to see options. Mom just fried it or made it a stew or a soup, I got traumatized by chicken every Sunday and went vegetarian, then carnivore came where I just roast things with salt (chicken gets spice too) as it’s perfect… And I am absolutely clueless about juicier, more wet dishes despite I used to liked those (without meat but still).
Soy sauce sounds good, it IS great when I do various things, never tried it with chicken for some reason… I will :slight_smile: Maybe I should use the seitan approach on chicken. Both are pretty tasteless (cheap supermarket chicken…) alone but my seitan gets super delicious when I use my personal spice mix and soy sauce. I still prefer meat, sure and don’t ever feel desire towards seitan but it is an option sometimes especially for my SO who refuses to eat meat every day (but manages to eat some almost every day. I always had some influence on him when it came to food. me being the main cook definitely helps but that has its limits, he never could try low-carb again, for example, he needs his carbs).

Maybe I will think about this when I happen to find a ton of mushrooms again… I don’t like store-bought ones, forest mushrooms are often way tastier. I don’t even want those nowadays but my SO loves them and I am not against a little taste either.

I have no photos lately, I just eat my pork chuck roast, fried fresh ham and the like :slight_smile: I never ever get bored of them - as long as I have other items and the occasional one day breaks. Today I make meatballs as my fresh ham is really lean, not good even for frying let alone roasting. I add bacon (tiny cubes as it’s half the price and it has its uses) as I bought it ages ago and I should start using it already… I will put most of it into the freezer, no one can expect me to use up 200g(?) bacon in 1-2 months… I prefer smoked pork belly slabs. They are close relatives but the pork belly isn’t called “bacon” here, it has its own traditional Hungarian name :wink: Bacon is just called bacon (and it means a special kind of bacon in this country), it’s a weird word as it managed to avoid the usual changes. My language hates having pronounciation not obvious from the spelling (with few tiny exceptions) and bacon goes against it. But it looks so stupid written as pronounced… Some people do it.
We have this problem with many words, we have a ton of new IT words and some are Hungarian, some are English but written as pronounced and I can’t bring myself to write them that way… But as people spend a lot of time online, they often use English words anyway, even in Hungarian sentences… Sometimes there isn’t a good Hungarian word for something.

If your chicken is too, what?, dry and proteiny (I know that’s not a word! Until now…), just buy chicken thighs. They’re good value, versatile, tasty and have the proportion of fat and reddish meat you’re probaly looking for.
I use them all the time, and not just in soups. As long as the seasoning or sauce is right, you’ll like it.
Even if just spice, salt etc.

Near posted in WRONG thread there!

I won’t really post what I’m eating this evening, as it is just half that chicken i cooked last night with cauliflower rice. Earlier on i had pickled mussels…which are considerably less expensive than pickled cockles. Less effort to harvest I guess.

Anyways, I’m fed up paying extortionate prices for cooked food at filling stations when I’m out driving to sites, so, I’m going back to the fridge nibs / night before prep (a lot cheaper).
Tonight’s pep…Northern Irish ‘veg’ rolls (they’re actually beef, but I degress) and a few thick pork sausages. They’ll be ready to eat from the fridge in a sealed container with some ready hard boiled eggs.
I usually end up sharing with Carly or workmates; so may be a false economy :upside_down_face:

Phew! :sweat_smile:

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #63

Cor yeah. Remove skin (cook separately) then marinate thighs in lemon, yogurt and paprika (can be found in Hungary lol) and roast with salt.