Journey Update: (no I have not reached my goals, I have about 40 pounds to go.)

(Stephen Paczek) #1

Today marks the fourteenth month anniversary of my journey.

History:
In 2014, my wife was killed in a car accident leaving me the widowed father of two teenage daughters. I was depressed and stressed and eating made me “feel better”. Consciously I knew I was morbidly obese, subconsciously, well it didn’t happen so we won’t go there. Last year, I decided to take back my life and begin to be happy. The first step in obtaining that goal was to get healthy again.

I started Keto lifestyle on July 5, 2017. I lost a tremendous amount of weight from July through December. In January, I hit a long stall, read The Obesity Code and changed to HEALTHY fat while maintaining my low carb/KETO diet. In Feb/Mar I introduced intermittent fasting and in April I began some extended fasting.
When I began over a year ago, I weighed more than 500 pounds, this morning I weighed in at 260 pounds. I’ve gone from a size 60 waist to a size 40. I’ve gone from a size 6XL shirt down to a L/XL shirt. Yes, even the width of my shoes have decreased.

My A1C is 4.5 and my three month daily average ketones is 2.8. My blood pressure is 110/72.
I constantly monitor everything I do related to macros and fasting to find what works best for me. I highly encourage you to do the same. I don’t “cheat”, I have been under 20 grams of carbohydrates EVERY day since I began. I was never a big drinker, well since college, so I have only consumed two alcoholic drinks in the last year. I do ZERO artificial sweeteners since this spring. I eat NO processed foods, my diet is VERY basic but I like that.

Anything is possible!!! Stay the course!!! With your help, I will reach my ultimate goal somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I will celebrate with another ribeye. Carl, Richard, Dr. Ken Berry and Dr. Jason Fung, thank you for saving my life.

Side benefit. I started dating again last October and she has adopted this way of eating. She is T2 and when she tested her blood sugar on Sunday, it was 91 and her A1C is down to 5.6. The lowest she ever had since being diagnosed.

(ANNE ) #2

Sorry for the loss of your wife in such horrible circumstances.
You have made an Impressive turnaround in your wellbeing and health since you made the decision to turn towards a healthier way of living and eating. Both from a very bereaved soul and a physically hurting body. Super well done on making yourself well again and to get back on the dating scene too.

(Michelle) #3

You look so much happier, younger, and so much more handsome. You have my deepest sympathy for the loss of your wife. I have two teenage daughters and the thought of my husband raising them alone - well that seems impossible.

(Michelle) #4

Also, what a great thing you’ve done sharing your wealth of knowledge with your friend. You have probably added years and quality to her life, and following keto as a couple is so much easier than doing it on your own. You’re an inspiration.

(Brian) #5

Wow, Stephen, you’ve made tremendous progress! I know you must feel a whole lot better having been so much heavier. (I remember what it felt like carrying around 100 extra pounds trying to get out of a chair. You had it even harder.)

I am so sorry you had to go through losing your wife, and under such circumstances. That kind of thing hurts so deep there just aren’t words. Blessings to you as you continue onward. May you have health, happiness and success!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

I’m sorry for your loss, but this is truly an inspiring story.
Thank you for sharing.

(MyLove MyLife) #7

Sorry for your loss, You set your life on right track caring of your health you did an Incredible work which inspires us, thank you for sharing.