Joe Rogan and Dr. Rhonda Patrick talk about IF and restricted time eating

(Kyle Arcand) #1

(Derek I. Batting) #2

Here is the Kevin Roseā€™s app, Zero, mentioned in the video:

Introducing ā€œZero,ā€ a new app to help you fast

Iā€™ll also post this on itā€™s own so people can use and comment on it.
Thanks for posting this video, @kyle_arcand!

(Tim Quinn) #3

This was a really interesting podcast.

In a nutshell (for those that donā€™t want to watch it): if you constrain your eating to a maximum of a 12 hour window (9-10 hour being even better) you will be in a far better position for weight loss and muscle gain, even without exercise. Digestive enzymes, once activated by consuming food, effectively have a 12 hour timer on them, and eating past that limit causes poor insulin responses and other metabolic issues.

The only thing youā€™re allowed to consume outside of the feeding window is water. Even black coffee/herbal tea is not allowed, as it apparently still requires digestive enzymes for your body to process.

Relevant study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4255155/

(Mike Atwork) #4

In real world use, the real benefits of IF (Intermittent Fasting) start after the 16 hour mark. Jason Fung wrote a great book on fasting.

For me 19-20hrs has been the perfect time, for preserving muscle, weight loss etc

BTW keto + IF is the killer.

(Bunny) #5

Her explanations are so straight forward and in a nutshell especially when it comes to circaidian hooks!

Very clear and precise!

Awesome!

(M White) #6

Whatā€™s driving me NUTS is finding out exactly what can be consumed during a fast. Very frustrating because for eg: Dr Rhonda basically states that anything, certainly green tea and coffee, WILL BREAK A FAST! Yet Dr. Fung, Thomas De Lauer say that it does not --with Thomas giving what seems to be very credible information to back up why one SHOULD drink green tea --as well as a tablespoon or two of Apple Cider Vinegar (to help with the uptake or keeping of minerals) --as well as pink Himalayan salt and cream of tar tar. And even lime juice (which just canā€™t be true). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-uKeFbzpCs

So who do we believe!?

(Lonnie Hedley) #7

Another confounding issue is the definition of a fast which is just abstaining from all or SOME kinds of foods. This means there are water, liquid (water, coffee, tea, ACV), fat, egg, eggs and bacon, etc fasts.

By this definition, Keto or more specifically ZC/carnivore, could be considered a carbohydrate fast.

(M White) #8

So I found this valuable piece. Copying and pasting SOME of the relevant parts. For me itā€™s sumed up by the last comment. And thus my fasting with be strictly with water. See how that goes. Iā€™m day 3 into a 16:8 lifestyle change and already Iā€™ve felt an increased energy level, better sleep and ability to concentrate https://www.reddit.com/r/fasting/comments/5p30yj/dr_rhonda_patrick_said_drinking_coffee_yes_black/?st=JDZIP5XF&sh=190a80da PS the Dr. Longo Interview is very good. Long and boring in some parts but gives some insight as to how we developed with fasting as being the ā€œnormal stateā€ and consuming food as the stressor state!

------- pasted --------

While I like where you are going with this, Iā€™m actually thinking her offhand comment was a result of her interview with Dr. Satchin Panda here. His approach involves synchronizing the circadian rhythm of the sleep cycle of the body with the digestion cycle. His research indicates that consuming any non-water substance will ā€˜wake upā€™ the digestive system for the day, and that the digestive system wonā€™t ā€˜go to sleepā€™ until a few hours after you stop feeding it any non-water nutrients.

The reason I am going with that as the reason for her comment instead of autophagy is that she has also done an interview with Dr. Valter Longo here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PyyatqJSE where they discuss autophagy. He doesnā€™t mention non-caloric beverages, but actually mentions that autophagy is primarily inhibited by protein metabolism (leads to increased IGF-1) and carb metabolism (leads to increased (acronym I canā€™t remember)). Coffee and tea have almost zero carbs and/or protein, so they will not inhibit autophagy. And there are even some indications that caffeine accelerates autophagy.

Anyway, I hope that clears it up. :wink:
jasoncarr
6 points Ā·
1 year ago

I agree, it really seems like she is referring to the effect that black coffee would have on your circadian rhythm in the case of time-restricted feeding. In her interview with Satchin Panda the concern was ā€˜startingā€™ the circadian clock that starts with any non-water beverage or food.

Pandaā€™s concern was regarding the metabolic consequences of eating late in the day on health and your sleep cycle.
Mabepossibly
6 points Ā·
1 year ago

Both what Dr Patrick and Dr Panda are referring to is a study in mice that when they limited the eating window to 9 hours in these mice they saw a dramatic increase in lean muscle mass and fat loss. The stat Dr Panda offered was a 28% reduction in body mass with JUST feeding time as a variable. Now granted these are mice and not human trials.

The theory he put forward was that once your ā€œgut clockā€ starts, you have a limited amount of time to eat while all the enzymes and other processes in your gut are at optimum function. So his point to someone doing IF by drinking coffee at or taking pills at 7 am but not eating lunch until 12:30 and dinner at 6:30 is that by having coffee early in the day, your gut isnā€™t at its optimal state to process your dinner because it has already started shutting down for the night.**