Jillian Michaels talks about Keto

(Bryan Jager) #1

My wife sent me this article. She has not fully adopted the keto lifestyle. Jillian tries to lay out the pros and cons. She uses technical sounding jargon…sounds good.

One thing she does not understand is how I feel when I eat sugar and processed foods. I don’t want to go back to that. I know that I have to supplement magnesium, but I don’t think I can get that from a cookie. :grinning:

I am curious to see what the community thinks about this article.

Thanks.

https://www.jillianmichaels.com/blog/health-and-fitness/truth-about-keto

(matt ) #2

She’s a hack.

(matt ) #3

LOL

Ketosis is a considered a state of medical emergency. Can the body survive without carbohydrates or very limited amounts of carbohydrates? Sure, for a time, but even still can the body truly thrive? While you may have managed to contain or even eliminate any insulin related diseases you are potentially incurring a host of other issues.

(Karl) #4

Is this the same Jillian Michaels that Gary Taubes had to explain the first law of thermodynamics to on the Larry King show?

(matt ) #5

Utter bullshit here:

The keto diet does not address what types of proteins and fats are ideal, and this is essential.

(matt ) #6

Oh good lord:

Eat balanced meals every 4 hours that have healthy fats, proteins, and carbs to help stabilize and manage insulin levels.

(Allie) #7

This has been doing the rounds on Instagram for a few weeks and has resulted in numerous more accurate memes.

What do I think? Not much. But then again - full disclosure - I was never impressed with her to begin with. She sounds like she can’t make up her mind because as she writes, then benefits are obvious. But she is in the weight loss business and as such - conflicted just as any other that subscribes to COCI (got to keep the customers coming back). Plus much of her information is incorrect but I can’t be bothered going line by line.

(Jay Patten) #9

Wait, didn’t all of her Biggest Loosers all FAIL and get fat again?!?

(Allie) #10

All except one I believe, and as for the metabolic damage caused…

(Farhan Ali) #11

Its about her business model. She is promoting people to exercise and focus more on that part of the equation. Certainly keto is against her very livelihood.

Id love some citations to accredited studies on her claims about telomere loss due to a high fat diet.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #13

Of hers, that one guy I think had gastric bypass… hardly a win.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #14

It’s silly, because your exercise capacity can actually go up on carb restriction. Endurance exercise, certainly, but recovery from “going hard” is better without inflammatory omega-6s and all that insulin and sugar bumping around.

(TJ Borden) #15

SHOW ME THE SCIENCE!!!

Alas, she has none.

(Randy) #16

We need a new category:

Show Me The Pseudoscience

:joy:

She actually used the phrase “Healthy Grains”… :anguished:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

I got as far as “Ketosis is a considered a state of medical emergency,” and quit. Not worth the time, if she’s so ignorant that she doesn’t know the difference between nutritional ketosis and diabetic ketoacidosis. She obviously hasn’t made any real effort to educate herself about nutritional ketosis.

(Joe) #18

Unfortunately this information is easy to find for people with questions. Many people do not know where to look for qualifying evidence and then they are this. I am very skeptical about ANYONE who is selling anything. E specially fitness systems.

(Andrew Ord) #19

Calorie Restriction and eating every 4 hours + exercise, does not manage insulin nor does it reverse type 2 diabetes. I don’t think she knows what she is talking about.

(Brian) #20

Since I have very limited TV, I haven’t seen or heard of her in quite a long time. I put her pretty much in the same category as the rest of the “reality TV” types… it’s all entertainment. Anything said may or may not bear resemblance to anything truthful or factual.