January 2020 IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Justin Jordan) #21

Successful fast. That’s five weeks of (more or less) ADF, and three days each week.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #22

I was planning an doing another fast, but then got hungry last night. It has something to do with still being awake like 7 hours after eating. I had a good keep snack that didn’t affect my glucose much (according to my CGM). I may still fast, though. Although, I guess it won’t technically be 48 hours… More like 41 :slightly_smiling_face:

(Mame) #23

Its Saturday! and I am still fasting. 43 hours in curently.

This morning at approx 39 hours my blood measurements were: bg=76, bk=2.9, gki =1.45
I plan to measure again late this afternoon

I will fast at least 48 hours and may keep going overnight til Sunday…it all depends.

I am particularly proud of this fast as I am doing it while not working. I have always found it easier to fast when I am in the office and working.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #24

Mame your GKI ratio is so good. You seem to be a strong BHB producer.

(Mame) #25

Yes I think I am. I seem to get low bg and high bk more easily than others. Also I was never diagnosed diabetic or even prediabetic. Just 20+ years of hyperinsulinemia. LOL

To tell you the truth sometimes the numbers are the only thing that keep me in the fasted state. That and trying to lose the last 40+ pounds. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

at 44hours: bg=68, bk=4.8, gki=0.79 just about to have a little salty broth

I am cleaning out a closet for distraction! We are getting a kitten this month!!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #26

If that was my case I would have given up a long time ago. I fast because I just feel better the rest of the week.

(Mame) #27

Today and tomorrow are feeding days then fasting Tues, Wed, Thurs at least 72 hours.

Best wishes to all whether you are eating or not.

(Susan) #28

I fasted Wednesday and Friday (with the IDM) and was meant to Feast yesterday and today but I have a flu bug so I didn’t get the feasting in, but tomorrow is another Fasting day anyway =).

(Justin Jordan) #29

Fasted again today. This begins week 6 of more or less ADF.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #30

Started a fast last night after dinner. Hope to go 36 hours to 48 hours.

I’ve been off work for 2+ weeks and want to put the holiday eating behind me.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #31

At about 24 hours and had a great day without food. Going to sleep / fast and then break fast in the early AM. I have some IT testing to do from home and that gives me time to adjust slowly to avoid disaster pants.

I’m going to do some blood flow restriction exercises early before the testing and I am anticipating hunger. Otherwise I would got to ~48 hours. If the morning refeed goes well I may do another 36 hour fast later in the week.

(Patricia) #32

Hello,
I’m nearly 24 hours in to what I plan to be a five day fast, which I’m doing to alleviate symptoms of an auto-immune disorder I’ve been diagnosed with. I did my first planned 5 day fast a month ago (made it 4.5 days), and with the advice of an integrative/functional medicine doctor, I plan to repeat the 5 day fast once a month for three months. In the first fast, on day 2, my symptoms were lessened and though they somewhat came back in the past 3 weeks, they have not been nearly as severe as before the fast. So, I am heartened by this.

I also told my rheumatologist about the fasting, and while he said he didn’t know if that was what helped, he didn’t press the usual prednisone treatment on me but said to just keep doing what I’m doing. He basically said he didn’t know anything about alternative treatments like this, but wasn’t oppositional. So that was a relief that I didn’t either have to lie or defend my approach.

So, soon to bed and then on to Day 2! KCFO, friends!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #33

Patricia,

Here is hoping fasting works for you. It is good to have doctors that are least are not opposed to fasting.

Please update us as your fast completes and as you gauge the success of this approach.

(KCKO, KCFO) #34

Nice doc to tell you to keep doing what works. And admitting he knows nothing about alternative treatments.

All the best in the rest of the fasts. Glad they are helping with your pain.

(Jane) #35

Starting a 42-hr fast this evening. Will be having lunch with my boss on Wednesday so will have to break then

(Mame) #36

All right done eating for the day and kicked off my 3 day fast, days 7, 8 and 9 of the clark protocol. So 72+ hours. I will probably be round here a lot the next little bit, lol.

Hmm it’s been quite a while since I did a 72+ hour fast… wow since June!

This morning on a feeding day I had these numbers at 1130 pre-meal.
bg=84, bk=4.4, gki=1.06 :heart_eyes:

Wishing everyone peace, strength and luck! Oh and I see my PCP tomorrow, first time since I dropped my most recent 55#

(Windmill Tilter) #37

I’ve been doing extended fasting on and off for a couple years now, and although it gets easier, one thing that has never changed for me is evening hunger when I’m cooking dinner for my kids.

I’m never hungry the next morning, so I know it’s just gherlin peaking for the day, but it’s annoying. For the most part I just accept it and ignore it.

I’m curious to know what strategies folks have for managing this “phantom” evening hunger apart from just ignoring it. I’ve been hearing a lot about cocoa butter as an appetite suppressant and it’s a pure fat that won’t really interrupt autophagy. Anyone ever tried that?

(Mame) #38

Nick, don’ forget to blur your food mentions! :laughing:
Yes, I have noticed that hunger in the evening that is mysteriously gone come morning… sigh. Currently I need will power and lots of distraction, usually.

Also I use any crutch if I need it broth with butter, pickle juice, hwc in coffee, suck on an olive…anything really. I don’t fuss with autophagy, it’s a higher priority for me to keep fasting and keep my numbers low and hopefully drop pounds.

But I do not cook while fasting. I am amazed at those of you who can do so! You all are rock stars!! :star2: I avoid it as much as I can. I have been known to sniff peppermint essential oil if some one at work is eating a yummy smelly thing…

(Windmill Tilter) #39

Oops! I haven’t been on this thread for a while and it shows… :blush:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #40

Hello fellow fasters:

Going to break my fast at 34.5 hrs with bone broth + collagen. This is odd because I usually break in the afternoon. But my day is weird today and logistics are setting my schedule. Slept well but only 6 hours which is typical when fasting.

at 24 hrs last evening BG 78 mg/dL
at about 33 hrs early am within 5 mins of waking BG 95 mg/dL.

The dawn effect is alive and well in me but better than 18 months ago when my BG would be 110 to 130 mg/dL in the waking hours. IR reversal progress one damn day at a time.