JANUARY 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #61

a lot of it is water as well, especially if you overdid a bit on the carbcount the day before. (like me this sat)
i lost 7 pounds in 30h, and was still having [spoiler]hwc[/spoiler] on my fast.

(Jane) #62

Funny some people can extend their fast with bone broth and some it makes them hungrier.

I am wanting autophagy also but have a hard time with black coffee.

I switched from HWC to butter or ghee in my coffee because of the lower protein in hopes of not stopping autophagy. I just put a fraction in of my normal non-fasting amount to cut the bitterness (plus a pinch of salt) and hope I am not slowing my autophagy too much.

I only had bone broth once while fasting and it was after a brisk 2-mile walk in Ft Worthā€™s 100+ degree heat under a full sun and no breeze. I had to have something when I got back to my office - I felt weak and shaky. Bone broth fixed me right up and I kept on fasting.

(Bob M) #63

This is probably my tenth or so 4.5-5.5 day fast. To me, they donā€™t really get easier. I know Dr. Fung says they do, but I find each one pretty difficult. They do get easier by day often (the 4th day is typically easier than the second), but to me, they are always difficult. I always think to myself, ā€œMaybe I should do a 4.5 day fast to start every month!ā€, and then I do one and say to myself, ā€œWhat about every 6 weeks or maybe two months?ā€ :hushed:

(Doug) #64

Entering Day 3, cruising on East Street.

Bob, how much fat do you have to lose?

(KCKO, KCFO) #65

When I was losing weight, I could use bone broth to get me into the 100+hrs. range. But now over a year of maintenance, it isnā€™t helping. I plan to just use it as base for soups/stews now.

I donā€™t think the amount of hwc I am using contributes to the hunger. So I will continue to use that until it looks like it is confounding my efforts.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #66

broke my fast at 54h. in the middle of the night. with some [spoiler]Phsillium husk in water[/spoiler] to calm down my ramping gut.

Also I slept very poorly and was awake for about 1.5 h in the middle of the night.

Had zero carb breakfast and zero carb lunch. adding some dinner and trying to go for another 36 - 48h.

(Bob M) #67

Iā€™m not sure how to answer that question. I currently weigh 204.0 according to my scale this morning. To not be ā€œobeseā€, I need to be somewhere around 198 or so by BMI. What would I like to weigh? Well, when I was in my early 20s (and on a super low fat diet), I weighed about 165, which much, much more muscle mass than I have now (former pseudo-body builder). I have no plans to get near that weight, but I wouldnā€™t mind being 180, maybe go down to a 34 inch pants size from my current 36 inch pants size (and where I hit at least 43 inches at my highest weight).

Unfortunately, I may have hit my ā€œPhinney weightā€, as Iā€™ve been at this level for 2+ years. I have, however, gained muscle and lost fat in that time (according to DEXA scans), but my scale weight has changed little.

It seems if I go below this level, I bounce back up. I hit below 195, but that was fasting multiple days and also before shoulder surgery, when I could not lift weights or really do any exercise, so my muscle mass was very low. After shoulder surgery, my scale weight kept going up, and I could not determine why, so I started getting DEXA scans, which showed increased muscle mass and decreased fat mass, but a near zero overall loss.

I may have (1) caused my metabolic rate to decrease because of a ton of fasting; and/or (2) an issue with iodine. Iā€™m trying to reverse both.

I am certainly more muscular, more fit, and better looking (body-wise) now than I was before, but the scale is insidious.

Does that help answer this question?

(Bob M) #68

By the way, both my wife and I had to bail out after 48 hours. We were both unusually hungry. Someone at work [spoiler]made something that smelled great[/spoiler], and it was all I could do to not go take it from them.

(Doug) #69

Yes, Bob, good reply - and it makes sense that fasting is harder, per se, the leaner we are.

:slightly_smiling_face: - 180 lbs wearing size 34 pants - exactly what I used to be. Somedayā€¦

(Bob M) #70

That makes sense. When I started fasting, I was heavier and could fast 4.5-5.5 days while exercising a few times that week. Now, I donā€™t even attempt that, limiting my exercise to after these long fasts.

I was fasting 36 hours twice a week, and working out while fasted 34-36 hours. I will likely go back to that next week, and may try one of those this week.

Iā€™ve been taking iodine, and it does seem to help with no longer being as cold during fasting as I once was. But I also ate more, so Iā€™m not sure which is helping. The problem with iodine is that itā€™s supposed to be taken as part of a protocol, with other vitamins, to help with the removal of bromines and fluorides. If I fast, I donā€™t take these (or iodine), as I can barely take them on a full stomach, let alone with only water. So, do I increase my iodine uptake and eat, which might help with getting cold while fasting, or do I fast and not worry about iodine? Itā€™s a quandary with no good solution.

(Doug) #71

Last night I felt really warm after going to bed, from the shoulders to the top of my head. ~53 hours into a fast, and Iā€™d recently brushed my teeth, despite having had only black coffee that day.

Iā€™ve been ā€˜hotā€™ before, at times, while fasting or eating low-calorie keto, like 400-600 cals. per day, but those tended toward a normal, sweaty feeling. Last night was different - it was very comfortable, to the point of being pleasurable, like a real ā€œglowā€ was in effect. ā€œWhoa, something is going onā€¦ā€

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #72

Iā€™ve started doing 22hr (or so) consecutive fasts. Basically OMAD. Last nightā€™s numbers (before supper): BG 54, BK 3.4, GKI 0.88!

Iā€™m thinking this pattern is going to work for me!

(Allie) #73

I wish I knew that warm feelingwhike fasting, I just get cold :slightly_frowning_face:

Youā€™re doing great @OldDoug

Allie, I get cold too.

I dislike that, but not enough to stop fasting!! :slightly_smiling_face:

(Doug) #75

I think thatā€™s a good practice - itā€™s listening to our body and being patient, and very often hunger will go away - itā€™s mostly always rising or falling anyway.

Past the 3 day point, and somehow that makes me feel like a fast is an unqualified success, no matter what. Had nothing but a cup of black coffee and water the first 2 days, so poured some salt into a bottle of water and shook it up and drank it this morning. Made no difference but wasnā€™t feeling bad anyway. Onwardā€¦

Well, didnā€™t know after posting this, I would end up Fasting over the next week, having surgery, etc. :slight_smile: ā€¦ But as it turns out, I ended up going into the Hospital Fasting, and it was around 135 hrs. before eating anything solid.

Though I did not plan any of this, I do believe Fasting throughout this entire process really helped overall. Laid up in the Hospital for nearly a week, not hungry in the least, helped things go quite smoothly. Not to mention I spoke with just about everyone there about living a Keto/LCHF WOL/WOE, as well as Fasting. To which most were really interested and had many questions, so we had some good conversations. :slight_smile: ā€¦ But, I think with the stomach issues now on the mend and needing time to heal, it may be a little time before I get in any Fasting in. Think I will do OMAD, with some second meals thrown in here and there and see how things progress. :slight_smile:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #77

I hope you recuperate quickly and well!

(Kate) #78

Iā€™m struggling this evening. I did a 40 hour fast on Monday/Tuesday, and Iā€™m at 22 hours for my second planned fast of the week. Monday was a breeze, tonight Iā€™m itching to break my fast. Iā€™m trying to ride it out but this is the hardest yet.

(Bob M) #79

My problem with getting cold was that my hands got so cold I could not touch myself or anyone else. Even today, Iā€™m trying a 36 hour fast until tomorrow, and Iā€™m cold. I used to not get cold until several days into a fast, and now I canā€™t make it a day.

I do think iodine seems to have helped, but not cured this.

Itā€™s difficult to know whether to follow oneā€™s body or power through. Iā€™m not good at that. If I break mentally, though, I break.

(Allie) #80

The cold feeling always makes me break too. Extra layers and regular hot liquids helps a lot, but Iā€™m still reluctant to go more than 24 hours until the summer is back.