Jamaican beef patty, keto-style

(Rachel Taylor) #1

I got this craving today for Jamaican beef patties. These are a common staple in Jamaica/the Caribbean and in Certain parts of the US/UK. It is like a curry-flavored meat pie.

For the curried dough, I used Carlshead pizza dough with a couple modifications.

2 T. cream cheese (28 grams)
6 oz(s), Part-Skim Mozarella
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Jamaican Curry Powder
0.75 cup Almond Flour

Put the mozzarella and cream cheese in a bowl and microwave for 15 second increments, stirring between each, until it is just melted and sticks together. Mix the almond flour, garlic powder and curry powder together and then mix that with the mozz/cream cheese mixture. Knead it briefly so it is smooth. Divide the dough into 6 parts, flatten each with a rolling pin into a circle approx the size of the palm of your hand. Fill with approx one heaping tablespoon (about 20 grams) of the filling (see below) and seal either with a fork to crimp the edges or use a pie press. Bake at 425 for 5 minutes, flip over and bake for another 5 minutes.

Pie press with dough:

After the dough is sealed:

Filling:
1 lb (450 grams) 80% Lean Ground Beef
1 Tbsp, Butter (14 grams)
one medium sized onion chopped (165 grams)
1/4 cup (25 grams) Almond Flour
salt and pepper to taste
one pinch Cayenne Pepper
5 cloves Minced Garlic
3 tsp, Jamaican Curry Powder
2 tsp, Thyme
1/2 cup (50 grams) Green Onion (scallions)
3 T. low Sodium Soy Sauce

Saute the beef, onions, and butter together until browned. Add the almond flour, salt and pepper, cayenne (you can add a little or a lot more if you want–these are normally pretty spicy), garlic, curry powder, thyme, green onion, and soy sauce and simmer briefly. If it gets dry, add a little water so that the ingredients are slightly moist. Let the mixture cool down and use as filling for the dough described above. NOTE: the filling makes about 22 pies (approx) and the dough recipe makes 6 pies so you can either cut down the filling or make more dough.

Nutrition: 1/6 of the dough has 183 calories, 4 grams total carbs, 2 grams fiber for a grand total of 2 net carbs and 14 grams of fat. 1 big tablespoon of the filling has 69 calories, 1 gram of total carbs, no fiber, and 5 grams of fat. So one patty has 3 carbs, 19 grams of fat.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Moving to recipes, Recipes, RECIPES category…

(Andy C) #3

These look great! Curious, are those grill marks on top?

(Rachel Taylor) #4

I grabbed this baking sheet that had lines on the top of it so my beef patties came out of the oven with stripes. :slight_smile:

(Donna Jones Gardner) #5

Yesssssss!

(AnnaLeeThal) #6

These really look tremendous

(Hungry Julie) #7

Made them tonight for dinner. Love it! Be generous with that cayenne, it’s so good

(Rachel Taylor) #8

Awesome!!! They look great!