I've fallen out of keto for 1 month now and I feel horrible!

(Yousef ) #1

I used to love keto so much, but out of no where i just started to cheat for no reason then i went back to my old eating habits ( binging on sugar carbs ). Everyday i say ill start keto today/tomorrow but that day never comes. My brain tricks me to eat sugar again and again. A new bad habit has risen up which is i workout then go out to the nearest McDonald’s and ate like an animal there with the carbs too. I were 162 kgs in september of 2018. Then i reached my lowest which is 122 kgs, that made me so happy. But then that stall/plateaue came and made me think why am i even trying. I gave up and started to binge like an animal would. I hate what I’ve been doing to myself. Please help, Im only 17 years old and this is happening to me out of my control. I need to control myself or my weight will start to come back on. I hope i don’t get roasted because i already hate myself. My current weight is 130 kgs. I’ve gained 8 kgs since i started to binge. Please help me, I’m stressed out.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #2

Hi @Yousef_D

First and foremost:

I literally saw this as “binging on sugar cubes”, but it clearly says carbs.

Now that’s out of the way, I totally feel you. I, myself, have been feeling out of control as of late. I’ve only been doing Keto since Feb 4th, 2019, so I’m by no means a veteran.

This will be easier said than done, but the sooner you just STOP the cycle, the easier it will be to get back to where you were. When I’d have an extended cycle going, first thing I’d do is get accepting the idea that this has to stop, I’m going to get really angry at the beginning for feeling like I’m depriving myself of things I want to eat. I accept the fact that I may have to go to bed at 7pm if I’m feeling pissed off that I can’t have McDonalds. I accept that I’m going to feel like I have nothing to look forward to from binges.

Then, I start looking at before and after body transformations online, either in Google images, or YouTube, Pinterest, whatever… and I start to build a purpose back up in my brain. Sometimes I physically have to write out the reasons I need this binge cycle to end. The longer it goes on, the more weight you put on and the more miserable you’re going to feel. I make a pros and cons list. The pro-binge section is really friggin short TBH.

No binge will taste as good as being successful at accomplishing something as important as good health will feel. Cliche, but true!

Only if you’re broccoli. I love roasted broccoli.

EDIT: To get back on Keto track, allow yourself to eat a good amount of naughty but 100% keto foods, just to ease your pain a bit if it gets unbearable in your mind. I find this helps. Once I do this, I find it easier to clean up the dirty Keto and get a little more clean eating in there.

(Yousef ) #3

Thank you for this. I will create a list and write down my reasons. Never thought of this, but i hope this helps me because I’m exhausted and just depressed from my eating habits. Again, thank you for helping :slight_smile:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

Look, all is not lost. You haven’t gained it all back and you clearly see that continuing to eat carbs is going to put you back there.

Your reward center is really revving up the desire to get carbs. I suggest you make keto sweets and anything else you need to STOP immediately, if you feel that out of control and you don’t think you can do it cold turkey. If you’re not able to stop the thing from going into your mouth, make it something less harmful than straight sugar and starch. Make it keto friendly. Then go from there.

It’s not easy. Caring for a human body often isn’t. But if you want to enjoy it and feel good about it and keep it healthy, take care of it. You did it once, you can certainly do it again. Keep trying.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

Welcome to the community, Yousef.

This is trite. But it is true. so, forgive me.

Start with one day of clean keto eating. Just carbs down to 20g net. don’t worry about hitting the fat macro or the protein macro. Just eat real foods that limit carbs to 20g net a day.

Get through that, and you focus on adding one more day of clean keto eating. Repeat for a week, and see how you feel.

That’s it. One day at a time until it’s easy again.

(Yousef ) #6

I think one of the reasons i started to binge is not eating enough food on keto. I stopped eating vegies and stayed below 900 kcal daily. That hurt me and maybe that’s why my brain can’t stand keto. I remember the first 3 months of keto as the best. I had energy to move, energy to think clearly, and energy that doesn’t fade away easily. Then school started with them hard tests and projects and i saw myself binging for no apparent reason then that continued for a month. If i want to get back on keto, i want to look up easy recipes that will fill me up, because honestly i want to quit this binge cycle, i want to get back on keto. But i should get back the right way, not staying under 1000-1500 calories a day with no veggies. Please help me with some recipes that are easy for a teenager to prepare. My favorite veggies are bell peppers especially green and red. Yellow is just full of carbs so ill avoid that. Thank you again for helping me :slight_smile:

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #7

Yes calorie restriction will not help your results and is probably why you plateaued. I would suggest going a day at a time, with no eating restrictions on Keto food for the first two weeks, focusing on a day at a time. I know it is hard but I am confident you will feel way better at the end.

Oh and welcome😀

Edit new to no

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #8

That’s not keto.

That’s kimkin carnivore.

don’t do that.

Do not sweat calories. Not at all.

Maintain carbs <20g Net/day. Eat real food, with proteinaceous foods (like beef, pork, poultry, fish) being the priority, and not worrying about how much fat you are eating.

Your yellow bell pepper is 5g net of carbs per 100g. I wouldn’t sweat it. Green is better, carb wise, but I don’t like green pepper at all. They are low sugar fruit, and you can eat them within your counts.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #9

Easy foods might be hard boiled eggs, tuna salad, lunch meat, cheese, if you like salads use full fat dressing (not lite or fat free), canned meat, beef jerky, pork rinds, bacon, pickles. I like eggs with green peppers and sausage baked in a casserole dish and cut into squares. You can keep them in the fridge and eat cold and they are tasty.

You can visit this thread for more food ideas:

(Ashley) #10

One thing I tell myself is not today, maybe tomorrow on carbs and crap! Usually helps my temptations. Another thing is, always have Keto foods available. Take boiled eggs, or pepperoni or salami, lunch meats, or bacon with you! You can get one of them little portable mesh coolers to take with you. Look online for cheap ones that can fit ice packs and then pack some stuff to take with you to the gym. Or even do McDonald’s but just no bun, no ketchup. Add pickles or bacon, mustard! Once you can do a few days then tell yourself okay in one week I’ll reward myself, and usually by then the scale has moved and you’ll be happy and maybe easier to control it!

(Carl Keller) #11

Breathe Yusef! You’ve a long life ahead of you. It took me 49 years to learn how to control my hunger and what I eat. You can still figure this out. There is no need to panic and self-hate.

Go back to square one and every time you have a craving, have a cup of coffee or tea with cinnamon or if you must, have a boiled egg, a few almonds or a cheese stick. Just please stop going to McDonalds. McDonald’s doesn’t help your hunger. It makes it worse.

('Jackie P') #12

Yousef please revisit how to start keto - you are in danger of developing an eating disorder rather than teaching yourself a healthy way of eating. You are calorie resticting and in danger of damaging your metabolism.
Up the fat and protein. For example, cook up a pile of bacon slices and then after the gym go home and eat the lot dipped in mayo - maybe add a boiled egg in there. You could even take it with you.
You will remember that taking the carbs out will naturally reduce your appetite.
Take care if yourself :slightly_smiling_face:

(Renu ) #13

Its easier said then done…stay focused and its DONE !
Few days back i read somewhere when u lose weight ur brain feels happy but abnormal, its like swimming u like it but can’t go forever…
u brain wants u to get back to normal get back been fat i.e normal for it…
It takes time to adapt and accept the new normal and healthy…
Start training ur brain every time u feel like going back to carb or sweet just stop and ask why, what is missing,
Im sure ans in nothing - u r happy with weight loss and healthy lifestyle u have energy ur active so why do u need that sugar - ans is u don’t need it.
Do it everytime and ur brain will get trained soon to think like that… u don’t need carb and sugar ! KCKO
All d best !!

(Karim Wassef) #14

My guess is that you needed a lot more fat and overall carbs. You were doing a low calorie diet without carbs and it broke your will.

Don’t be afraid of fat… embrace it… if you’re hungry, eat more fat… until your body doesn’t feel threatened by imminent starvation any more.

Start by identifying the fats you enjoy and only go to those foods when you feel the need. You were starving and then binging. That’s not Keto.

Learn to love the fats and go to them

(Marianne) #15

I would start at the beginning, which for me was three meals a day of foods that were higher in fat. I know it may be hard to believe, but I was so satisfied after eating them that I didn’t eat in between meals (a miracle for me), and I didn’t crave sweets and carbs (another unbelievable miracle). My breakfast was usually two eggs cooked in butter with a slice of cheese on top and some bacon or sausage.

Then eat lunch - again something keto that you enjoy. Maybe a salad with bleu cheese dressing, hard boiled egg, cheese, pepperoni (throw on whatever keto food you like and put enough dressing on that you enjoy it).

Dinner, keto food but fat to satiate - italian sausage, pork chop, steak, cheeseburger, broccoli with butter, etc. Make it something you find delicious and eat until your hunger is gone (not until you are stuffed). Don’t count the calories. A couple days/weeks of this and you’ll probably find that you don’t want to eat so much food. Then you can start cutting back while still being satisfied and not feeling deprived.

I wish you all the best. You are young and youth can be very difficult. I wish I loved and accepted myself at 17 as much as I do now. Whatever state I am in, I am enough. You are wonderful just the way you are. Your body, mind and spirit is completely your own; there is no one like you. It is a miracle and such a gift.