I've eaten liver this weekend

(Bev Anne Moynham) #21

Nobody mentioned kidneys – they are my favourite organ meat. My butcher shop has them already chopped up so all I have to do is fry them.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #22

@Digital_Dave
I loooove gizzards!!! And most of organ meats actually…
Liver is OK, just watch not to overcook it :slight_smile:

Though I do eat Beef or Calf liver from time to time, I still prefer Chicken Liver. And throw in some Gizzards and I’m happy. :slight_smile:

Chicken liver fresh on butcher day is so good.

When hunting our treat at camp was the moose liver so tender you do not need a knife.

It is very surprising how full one can feel on a small amount, the body just knows you are getting lots of nutrients so it send the full signals early.

(Bob M) #25

I love beef liver, fry it in duck fat, undercook it (just brown on the outside and rawer inside). I can eata pound of ground beef, but it’s hard to eat more than 8 ounces of liver, even though it’s low in fat. I like chicken livers too. Next up is kidney.

(Lisa) #26

I love liver and onions with bacon! My mom used to make this when I was a kid and I always loved it. I have not had it in years, as it’s actually not that easy to find in the supermarkets in California. I did find a butcher that I can buy it from and I will get some today, thanks to your post.

(Bob M) #27

Well, I was going to recommend a liver/onions/bacon recipe, but I can no longer find the one I tried. The hardest part about liver is cutting it. I’ve been freezing if for a small amount of time, and using a serrated knife.

Hmm…The recipe might have been this one, without bacon though (the lemon adds a nice touch):

Now, I just eat liver by itself, but if I try to get the family to eat it, I’d use a recipe like this one.

(Diana ) #28

And sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce before broiling.

(Casey Crisler) #30

Is there anything taste wise you can compare it to?

(Marta Loftfield) #31

I soak liver in buttermilk for at least an hour, preferably overnight. (Grandma’s recipe) makes a world of difference in flavor and texture.

(Doug) #32

I always liked liver as a kid, and cannot remember the last time I had it as an adult. Should get some. It seemed relatively chewy to me, and very fine-grained, almost ‘pasty.’

(KCKO, KCFO) #33

Whoever cooked it for you, over cooked it. It is much better cooked properly. Posts above have lots of good info on doing it right.

(Doug) #34

:slightly_smiling_face: Would like to try @MountainGirl’s buttermilk-soak method. That said, I don’t mind chewing meat, even to the point of some real jaw exercise. It’s always been part of a good experience, sometimes, for me.

On the far side of the spectrum, a couple weeks ago I got some ‘round steak’ almost for free in my local grocery store; it had been marked down once and then “Manager’s Specialed” down to a couple bucks a pound. I guess it had a beyond-healthy dose of collagen and connective tissue in it, and I just fried it in butter in an electric skillet. :smile: You talk about tough…

(Bev Anne Moynham) #35

Not exactly but I find them milder than liver and they have a similar flavour in all animals (beef, pork, lamb). Maybe a bit nutty but taste is so subjective and hard to describe.

(Bob M) #36

When I was a kid, I hated liver. If overcooked, liver turns into leather. If cooked correctly, I like ita lot.

Some people also use vinegar for their liver or kidney. I just eat liver as it is.

Fry up some Gizzards for this exercise. :slight_smile: They can be quite chewy… but in a good way. :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #38

Around here, finding a kidney in a shop would be a miracle. When I go to Europe, I enjoy all the sweetbreads, kidney and steak pies,pates, etc. Wish we could get all those goodies eateries around here.

(Bev Anne Moynham) #40

Here on Vancouver Island off the west coast of Canada we have a small grocery chain locally owned by a Chinese family and they carry every part of the animal imaginable and some I couldn’t imagine eating. I am sure you could find similar foods in any city’s Chinatown. Most grocery stores carry liver (beef, pork and chicken) and some carry kidneys as well. Our butcher shop would probably be able to find any part of the animals requested since the meat is locally sourced as well as ethically raised – I didn’t see any liver this week so I may have to ask for it when I want more. I grew up eating liver and kidneys but not some of the other animal parts.

(Kristin) #41

I cooked liver - calf liver - for the first time, for my dad and husband. My dad is undergoing chemo, and I want to help him with the anemia.

I did NOT overcook it, and I think that is key. I cooked it on low-medium heat in butter for 2 or 3 minutes on each side, and that’s it. A little salt and pepper and sauteed onions added. Very simple. I may do a gravy next time, as my dad and husband aren’t keto, though I wish they would go that route. They DO eat whatever keto meals I make without complaint and usually like them quite a lot.

I don’t recall ever seeing as well? Though I can’t say I’ve ever looked, but think I would have remembered?