I've eaten liver this weekend

(Cathrine Helle) #1

I don’t know why I feel the need to announce this publicly, but to me it’s breaking a mental barrier towards organ meats and feel kinda like a big deal :smiley:

I first tried a little raw. Was NOT my thing! I made thin-ish slices and fried like I would steak. Then into the oven at low(er) heat for 10 minutes. It was actually very tasty! I didn’t eat a lot, as it’s very filling, but I had some the next day as well.

From what I remember from childhood, liver was tough, dry and strong tasting. This tasted more like liver pate, was pink-ish inside and very soft. I’m definitely having this again :smiley:

Fried Onions and even a little gravy goes well with liver. :slight_smile: Congrats! - Gizzards are also good, and I like the chewiness that some don’t. But you can also cook them in a slow cooker on low for hours and they soften nicely. My wife was letting them cook overnight on low, and bumped to High for a few hours until ready. :slight_smile:

Good for you, last two trips to my meat store they have not had any liver so I have to mix up my schedule and see if i can get some.

(Running from stupidity) #4

You can also mince it up and hide it in beef mince.

(Cathrine Helle) #5

Thank you @Digital_Dave :smiley: I’ve never heard of Gizzards before (i had to look it up), I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in any of the stores nearby. Perhaps I’ll have to ask specifically for it?

@Alley Mine only had frozen beef or pork liver. I bought one of each, and are planning on trying the pork next :slight_smile:

@juice Won’t it be overcooked an taste foul then? I think the reason I didn’t like it when I was younger was due to the fact that it was more ‘livery-tasting’ the more cooked it is?

(Running from stupidity) #6

Just chuck it in at the end with the sauce if you’re using some, or by itself if not. Seems to work OK here. If you don’t use much it’s completely unnoticeable.

(Cathrine Helle) #7

Thank’s, I’ll give it a go :smiley:

(Ken) #8

Chicken liver pate is easy to make. It’s liver, butter, a little onion and seasonings. Makes a great snack and is a great way to eat liver. If you find it too strong just add a little chicken meat into it until you get the flavor you want.

Gizzards are great. Once cooked soft, they are awesome deep fried with your favorite batter.

Love liver.
Often make pate, and last week I did a batch of chicken liver stir fried with garlic and rosemary.

My attempts to reduce seasonings while carnivore is always a crashing failure. :grin:
I get to the last 5 mins of cooking, taste it, and just start reaching for a little something. Remember the chef in the Muppets? :rofl:

I seem to really need the organ meats. The days I eat them, my body just feels better. So I eat them often.

(Casey Crisler) #10

Congratulations. You are a much stronger person than me. I mixed some beef liver with ground beef and made burgers. It was disgusting. I don’t know how I’m going to eat the rest of these liver slices. I do like chicken liver though.

(Cathrine Helle) #11

I looooove onion and garlic! And thyme, tarragon, basil, chives - you name it! But with IBS, onions and the like are off limits :confused: Luckily, I’ve not missed them on ZC. These days I only use some fresh thyme occasionally, other than that it’s just salt and pepper. I’ve discovered that steak can taste very differently, same goes for pork and lamb. For the time being I’m sticking to my limited spices, perhaps I’ll reintroduce some if I get bored down the line :slight_smile:

(Cathrine Helle) #12

That’s a bummer :confused: Have you tried my approach? Cooking it like you would steak, but much thinner slices? I found this to be very nice :slight_smile: I haven’t tried chicken or pork liver yet, pork is next on my list though :slight_smile:

They don’t always have Gizzards where I’m at either, but I picked them up when they do. You can fry them and they are by nature, chewy, which again I don’t mind at all. But when slow cooked they do get very moist and also go very well with gravy. … As for Chicken liver, it has a totally different taste than Beef or Calf liver. I’m more for Chicken liver myself, but will eat both. - Hope you experiment with them. And they are not expensive at all, so it’s easy to try them multiple ways. (You can always ask about the Gizzards where you shop, and maybe they can get them. I know here they will try to get them once asked or mentioned they haven’t been.)

(Elizabeth ) #14

I cut chicken livers in half, wrap with a half slice of bacon, secure with toothpick, place on parchment in oven at 400 for about 40 minutes - meat candy :grin:

Sounds delicious!

(Casey Crisler) #16

“That’s a bummer :confused: Have you tried my approach? Cooking it like you would steak, but much thinner slices”

I was thinking of trying it. I HAVE to learn to like liver and other organ meats. I will force myself to. I did it with grapefruits, mangos, and papayas in my pre-keto days. Of course,
we’re talking a totally different kind of pallete experience.

(Running from stupidity) #17

Hi, are you me?

(KCKO, KCFO) #18

Glad you gave liver a try, it is over looked by so many. Very nutritious and when cooked right very tasty.
I love it lightly sauteed with onions, or made into a country style pate or liver mousse. Pork, beef, and chicken are all great. Here is an excellent pate recipe from one of my favorite chefs:

As for gizzards, they make a wonderful broth for fasting. Gizzards are loaded with collagen if you are looking to add that to your nutrition. Sometimes you can find them packaged with the hearts, they are usually very inexpensive. I hate that when you buy whole chickens now you don’t automatically get the extra goodies like in the old days.

One of the things I remember so much about growing up. So yep, buy my own when I see them. And it’s funny I seem to like all the stuff that’s pretty cheap when compared to other stuff. :smile:

(Carl Keller) #20

The first time an ex-girlfriend cooked a turkey, she didn’t know those goodies were in there… so she stuffed the turkey with those paper wrapped organs still in there, and cooked it.