Its time to finally admit something to myself.... I'm never going to be fat again!

weightloss
health

(Allan L) #1

Quick bit of history, 45 year old male, yo yo’d on diets all my life from the age of 17, always a porky guy. Tried every diet under the sun and yes, you’ve guessed it, I lost weight but then put it all back on again AND more. I’ve spent my entire existence on this planet hating my body, wishing I could be a normal weight. My weight has dominated every part of my life.

I started Keto at the beginning of June this year weighing in at 114kg (251 lbs), not my heaviest as I had managed to lose some weight with low fat/low cal but it kept coming back, and have so far lost around 30kg (66 lbs) on Keto. I say “around” because I have stopped weighing myself. I have gone from a XXL shirt to a medium, from 44" trousers to 34" and I’m back at gym after a 15 year break.

I’ve stopped all but 1 of my chronic medications. No longer take thyroxine for my under active thyroid, After 10 years I’ve stopped taking lansoprazole for acid reflux, and finally my asthma has totally gone away. My dry / itchy skin has cleared up, hair softer than its ever been, glow in my skin and a bounce in my step. Life is good.

So sitting here at work I’ve finally realised that after 28 years of searching I’ve found the golden egg, the key to that elusive secret of how to remain at a healthy weight and live life, not just survive and I’m never going to be fat again. I’m never going to be fat again. WOW, it feels amazing to say that! Keto is so easy once you settle in and so beneficial to my overall health that I can’t possibly see myself ever stopping this way of life.

We’re all so lucky to have the knowledge we now have and be open minded enough to go against the flow of society and fight current social pressures.

Just had to share!

(Mary) #2

This is huge, Allan (in a “getting smaller every day” kind of way).
Thank you!!! :heart_eyes:

(Lesley) #3

Know how you feel Allan. Not with weight loss (although had my fair share of that too over the years when younger), but with inflammation and pain. I don’t plan to ever stop eating this way. :smile:

EDIT: Started around same time as you too. Well done!!

Freakin’ awesome!!!

(Carolus Holman) #5

Awesome post Allan, I suppose my ailment match your 90% (Thyroid, Skin, Asthma). I have noticed one other thing, my attitude has switched from fight or flight to just calm. Nothing get under my skin anymore, I am dealing with things very rationally. Big changes! Thanks for your insights!

(Sophie) #6

I try to explain this to my friends and nobody wants to believe it. They want to think that it’s difficult or too strict because that’s easier than making the choice to take control of their health, besides that way they can still have all the sweets, pasta, bread, crap, etc. etc. That is until their doctors tell them they have T2D, change or die. Frustrating to watch. :roll_eyes:

(CharleyD) #7

Sorry, you’re just too skinny now. We’re going to have to ask you to stop inappropriately getting too slim.

:rofl::tada::christmas_tree:

Your new health is the best kindness you can do to yourself!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

The lesson I learned as a recovering alcoholic is not to say, “I’ll never drink again,” because that would stir up the personality quirk in me that would perversely get me drunk. Instead, I say, “I’m not drinking today.” That way, the option is always open and that perverse streak doesn’t get triggered. It’s for the same reason that most sober alcoholics refer to themselves as recover-ing, not recover-ed, alcoholics.

Likewise, I’m just not eating sugar/carbs today, and am by no means swearing off for ever. If I were to tell myself the latter, I would quickly find myself at Dunkin Donuts ordering a couple (or three or four) dozen of their best. :grin: :bacon:

(joievawter) #9

Well done. I feel so blessed to have learned about this woe too.

(donnawmum) #10

Congratulations Allan…fabulous

(Bella Tricks) #11

Yeh it IS easy after a while. And it works. Adding the IF has been awesome for me.
And yes… It is very radical. Go us!

Fantastic Allan. Well done on the remarkable change on your health. Truly.inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

(Colleen) #13

Congratulations Alan. I relate in so many ways - the only difference is I haven’t quite yet “crossed the bridge” to committing 100% of the time. Am really happy for you; no more “will start my diet (again) on Monday” for you!

You have discovered the truth: it’s a way of life, not a diet. It’s about letting go of the things that kept us sick, tired, and subsequently fat. As my friend says, “The link is broken.” Congratulations on your work.

(Ben) #15

I’m a year ahead of you Allan. I started keto/banting in March last year at 229/16st 5lbs and reached my Phinney weight 182/13st October 2016. I’ve been the same weight since and it’s fabulous.
I know I’ll never put the weight back on either.

(Keto in Katy) #16

Well done sir! Happy for you and your success.

(Vicky Jane Ockwell) #17

That is super awesome!!!
You must feel like a million dollars

(Linda) #18

Congratulations to you! Doesn’t it make you want to bring everyone around you on board? It’s so easy once you settle in.

(Laydee Gee) #19

I love these stories!

Keeps the rest of us motivated on those down days too!

(Alan Carr) #20

What helped me stop smoking for good was reading up on how addictions work, how ANY trace of nicotine in my brain would bond with receptors and trigger the cravings again within 2 hours.

Once you really understand the mechanics of it then suddenly it was just common sense to quit cold turkey, to never, EVER have another puff again. So for me it was the total opposite of any “I’m quitting just for today”, it only worked because I made that decision.

I will never, ever, take another puff of a cigarette.

Why WOULD I, knowing within a couple of hours I’d NEED another one? That would be a really stupid thing to do to myself, so I have zero desire to do it.

So I understand where you’re coming from but to me the slogan “recovering” is more of a reminder that once addicted you are always addicted - and so the solution is to never, ever, have another drink, or puff of a cig’ or whatever you’re physically addicted to, again… Ever.

So I totally support Allan when he says he will NEVER be fat again. For me that’s the only thing that worked, I’m not saying it’s the only way but I’m more than a bit uncomfortable with giving yourself wriggle room such as “for today”. Because that can just as easily be flipped around - "I guess I can have these carbs and pig out a bit, it’s just “for today”.

No, screw “for today”. It’s forever.