Its never too late to start! 77 year old woman with 22+ years as T2D

Hi all,

Just wanted to share something for the people that think its too late to change their lives. This is about a hispanic woman I found on youtube.

I found this hispanic, 77 year old woman who was 22 years as a type II diabetic that changed to keto. Here is the link (its in spanish). I’ve translated (roughly) what she said below that. Enjoy!

Hello, my name is Susie Cooper and I began this diet in June 2015. I want to tell you guys about my results after 8 months. In May 2015, I had my 77th birthday, and truly I was feeling really bad. I’ve been Type 2 Diabetic (T2D) for 22+ years, had high blood pressure, asthma, bursitis of the hips and shoulder, chronic back pain to where I could barely walk. If I was standing for two or three minutes I would have to sit down due to the pain.

Before I started the diet, my weight was 178-182, although at one time in my youth (59 years) I weighed 252. From there I dropped to 221 then to 192. In the year 2007, I became really sick and after that I maintained around 182 and hovered around there. I’m a person that has a huge belly, typical of a T2D woman.

Now, in 2015 I had my T2D barely controlled and had to increase my insulin from 45 units to 52 units plus I had to take a pill of 10mg of extended release Glipizide. I was also taking two medications for the high blood pressure, medicine for the asthma and medicine for the pain. The pain in my lower back was constant. Not when I was sitting, but when I was standing or walking. I did various treatments including a blocking of the spine but nothing helped.

Well, at this time I became very worried because we don’t know how long we’ll live or when we’ll go to the other side. But, I began to think, if by chance I live to 90 or 94, what will happen to me? If I make it there, I’m going to be in a much worse condition than now. So I decided to find a diet to help me with the T2D and would help me manage my weight and try to burn some belly fat. I found a diet in a book, something called zero abdominal fat diet. I bought the book and tried it. Truly, I didn’t feel bad but I noticed my blood sugar was rising and stopped it.

Then I tried searching again, and because I believe that things happen for a purpose, I found a youtube video of a doctor that talked about this. Look, I’m a nurse, graduated with a bachelor’s from the University of Miami with about +/- 35 years of experience. And Truly, what I saw and heard in that video made my mind spin in reverse, it took me totally by surprise. What I knew about T2D is that it’s a chronic and progressive disease. And that, as time passes, you’ll need more and more medication. For instance, first its diet and exercise, then its oral drugs, then its insulin and more insulin and then…more insulin. In this video I found that this doctor was describing that t2d was completely reversible with diet. I heard this and it interested me very much but I had a hard time believing it. Because I’ve always been one to find out the truth, I began to research and study. I found many, many pieces of evidence that yes, in the last 10 years, a diet was discovered that could cure T2D. What I’m telling you here is from videos and research that I did on the internet from accredited doctors. Not someone trying to con you or sell you something. These were publicized studies about the ketogenic diet.

What I’m about to tell you is not medical advice. Only my personal story, if your T2D and taking insulin, you must talk to your doctor before doing anything because your blood sugar will drop quickly. Your doc will tell you how to manage your insulin.

So, I knew, when I talked to my doctor, what I could do if I began that diet. He told me, in my case, was to reduce my insulin by half and continue the oral drugs. And that’s what I did. I began the diet and reduced my insulin in half. What I have experimented with in these last 8 month, we’re now in feb 2016, has been for me a miracle. I’ve decided to pass this information on because I think it’s worth it. In 8 months, I no longer inject insulin and am only taking 5mg of glipizide. On Monday, today is Friday, I’m going to ask the doctor to drop the dose to 2.5g instead of 5mg because my sugar is dropping too low. I’ve dropped 30 lbs, I now weight approx 153 lbs, which has been my lowest weight in 40 years. I’ve lost about 8 inches from the waist and stomach. My high blood pressure has been regulated and now i’m 120-125/65-72. Of the two pills I was taking for it, one of them is completely gone and the second one, which was lisinopril 40mg is now down to 5mg. The bursitis of the hips and shoulders is now under control. I have not had to inject cortisol in all these months nor have had any pain. My lower back pain is completely gone, and this is a miracle for me, because I’m, once again, walking again! I still use the electric scooter when I go to Walmart or Publix because it’s pretty big, but I think I can do it, I just take the scooter out of habit. When the scooter isn’t there, I’ve walked it fine.

Hence, This is what I have accomplished in 8 months. I want to remind you guys that you can’t compare a person that has just been diagnosed with T2D to a person that’s been one for 22 years. From what I’ve read, new diabetics control their blood sugar in 6-8 weeks. For people like myself, that have more than 20 years, it takes a bit longer, approx a year. I’m 3/4 of the way there and it works. Believe me it works! If you’re diabetic, talk to your doctor to see if you should and can do the diet. Honestly from my point of view, this has changed my life around 100%. Because, being diabetic is nothing to be proud about.

She then goes on about liking and making more videos

That is inspiring, thanks for translating and sharing!

Hey now! This thread got featured in this week’s 2ketodudes podcast. No problem @carl and @richard!

I’m working on trying to contact her to get an update.

(Sue) #4

Susie,
I found your post so inspiring. So often once people hit 50-60 they throw in the towel. It is amazing what you have done and I’m so glad you shared your story with us. I am new to this site and am starting Keto today. Ugh, worried but so ready. I’m also an RN. I work with people with lists of chronic health issues that is staggering. I don’t want to be like that, but I’m on my way if I don’t do something.
Thank you for sharing!
Sue