It's like I'm an addict

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #21

@Hoteski
For what it’s worth. Prior to keto I ate typical SAD and ate a host of fave carb-loaded foods. Breads of all sorts, pasta of all sorts, potatoes in all renditions, rice, pizza, ice cream, frozen yogurt, beer. Probably a few others I no longer remember. When I started keto I simply dropped them all cold turkey. Never ate any of them for the next 12 months, never missed them a bit. A year later I hardly even thought about them any more.

Sometimes the radical works better than the gradual. Had I simply tapered off over time, I’m sure it would have taken me months to wean myself off and delayed and interfered with ketosis and fat adaptation. And I’d likely have had to endure weeks or months of carb withdrawal while doing so.

(Susan) #22

Thank you, Jeni! and welcome to the forum!! I am in Ontario.

Thanks for the info, but I am not able to get to those stores. I shop at Walmart, Costco, Dollarama and online basically. I don’t drive, so generally on Friday evenings we do those shops while my hubby waits in the van and I go in the stores with our 3 year old grand daughter (that lives with us). My hubby had brain surgery December 16th so his first time driving since then will be this Friday (as he has a doctor’s appointment) and we are just going to Walmart as it is very close to the doctor’s office --we are very low on everything atm so I can hardly wait to get more food in. The freezer has lots of food in it, but it is mostly Carbage --no eggs, or cheese, or vegetables left at all.

I ended up ordering a larger size bag of it last night on Amazon.ca and topped up the order to over $35 ordering a pillow case my daughter needed for a body pillow that I bought her for Christmas so it all worked out fine for free shipping. I ordered the one above in double the size -so it was a pretty good value still I think. I hope that you enjoy and love the forum as much as we all do =).

(Hoteski) #23

Thank you, today is day 2 of sticking to keto and not fucking up. Still Coke zero but I’ll take that. Had yesterday leftovers for lunch and fish green Thai curry with green boiled veg . Broccoli fine beans and Brussels. Was delicious. Lunch was Sheppards pie but with colliflour and broccoli mash rather than potato. Also went for a walk to the supermarket rather than drive so feeling good today. Determined.

I’m sick to death of being the fat friend. The oh your face looks nice and your not that fat so you don’t have to change comments. (I’ve had that comment regardless of weight… even when I was 17st… why do people do that… it’s not kind in my view) I want the fuck me your hot comments instead. All I have right now are huge tits and a half decent looking face if I bother to put make up on.
In the last 20 years I’ve had 2 years of feeling great. The rest of the time I’ve felt like I was fat and could do so much better for my own body.

(Roxanne) #24

I buy these Susan. I combine them with 98% pure cocoa mass (available in large bags at Lindt stores), coconut oil, coconut manna and natural peanut butter to make a sugar-free chocolate square that we have for dessert if there hasn’t been enough fat in the meal.

(Susan) #25

Okay, thank you, Roxanne =). I did order the powder stuff but I will remember this for next time, thanks very much.

(Jeni) #26

I’m in Ontario too! Wow you certainly have your hands full! I bet being keto helps you keep all the balls in the air though.

I’ve been eating this way on and off since Spring 2016 and love it - until I get bored. Now I know I need to keep changing up the recipes so have variety and novelty!

Thanks for the warm welcome Susan :blush:

(Susan) #27

I am sure you will find this forum awesome, like we all do. All the wonderful people certainly make my Keto journey much more enjoyable for sure!

(Hoteski) #28

Day 7 of keto and day 3 of sticking too it.

Lost a pound and still sticking too it even if I had a late area meeting with all the food that came with it afterwards, full of carbs. I just left and made myself a stir-fry

Btw is there a way to move this thread do I can keep adding too it. It helps to keep myself in check

(Hoteski) #29

Not to.worry moved it to progress

(Paulene ) #30

You are spot on. Found some in the wholefoods shop today and was very pleased with the taste and mouth feel. :ok_hand:

Also bought some cacao nibs before I checked their carb content - 58g per 100g! :astonished: but I think (hope) it would be hard to eat too much at once.

(Hoteski) #31

Thank you all for the cacao butter suggestions. I don’t have a sweet tooth so not having sweet treats has never been my problem. It’s the carbs stuff, bread pasta rice potatoes. All the stuff that goes with the meat and veg that I struggle with.

If you guys wish to carry on discussing the cacao butter then feel free to start a new thread on it. I don’t feel it’s relevant on my progress post.

Today is day 4 of sticking to keto. Last night I made a lasagne… I made 2. One for me and one for everyone else. Mine had motzarella mixed with an egg yolk to make the ‘pasta’ and everything else was the same. I make my food from scratch so I know exactly what goes into my belly. No hidden anything. I have to say my lasagne was delish and o don’t feel like I was missing out at all. Had it with some salad as usual.

I did buy dark chocolate the velvet one with orange and almond as it’s.lowest in carbs and I know I can eat it if I want but I’ve just popped it in the fridge for emergency use only as I don’t want to get on the habit of eating any sweet treats including dark low carb chocolate.
Things I’ve noticed this week.

I’m determined
My mental clarity is returning
My meal sizes are at least half the size of what they where last week. I am still satisfied and feel comfortably full.
I don’t feel particularly hungry and now not craving foods like I was or feeling like I’m missing out
My bank balance could do with it not being January so I can keep making amazing food with good quality ingredients… Right now I’m making do with what I have in the fridge/freezer without breaking keto.
I’ve lost 2-3lp despite coming on today and I usually put on 5lp in PMS week.

So far so good

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #32

@Hoteski Cacao butter makes an excellent addition to your keto menu because of its fat profile. We’re discussing this in a couple other topics. A few of us are self-experimenting to determine how it affects various stuff. Search Fire in a Bottle if interested.

(Hoteski) #34

I understand and the suggestion is apriciated and I’ll be sure to look it up when I am ready to start thinking about sweet treats. Right now it’s better for me to cut it all out so I don’t go off the rails.

(Hoteski) #35

Confused.com

Sorted.

HI

wow you did great making that lasagna. good for you. something you could eat right along with the family and you felt wonderful. love it.

Yup. I get this. For me it was ‘what side dish’ do I have with my meal etc. Like something is supposed to be there LOL

I changed my thinking on that. Hard to do cause it is our eating habits. Meat, potatoes, veggies and dessert etc. Just normal eating thru our lives.

So now we are dumping those heavy carbs from our lives. We almost truly have to mourn losing some of our favorites. I mean I gave up potatoes! One of the hardest things I ever had to do truly! But I did :), I got thru my changes and mourned the loss of my old foods but at the same time I was saying goodbye to them I also listed why…potatoes made me fat. No doubt about that. These foods I am ditching made me sluggy and tired. They kept me controlled. They kept me under their spell. I released them and allowed them to be gone cause they took from me and never gave anything good to me. (So I kinda did a therapy on leaving old crap food by the wayside on myself HA)

Day 4 is gone and you are rocking it out! Keep on going!!

Loved your list of improvements…mental clairity, feel satisfied and full.
That is wonderful, happy for you!!

(Hoteski) #38

Thank you, I’m feeling very good, calm and focused. I’ve just had some bacon eggs sausages with fried onion and mushrooms. Was insanely good and picked the bacon and sausages based on carb content being the lowest of them all rather than the fanciest or most expensive/cheapest. I chose organic eggs as they have the highest volume of nutrients rather than any old eggs.

The motzarella “pasta” is so easy to make btw.

I’ve lost another pound so that’s 3lp this week. I’ll take it

No keto flu or anything but I think that’s because I had been pretty good with my diet before and whilst not strictly keto leading up to this week or the last year I think my body just feels much better on keto.

I am taking the following supplements to help my mind and body

Ashwanganda drops with water (adaptogenic that lowers blood sugar)
B vitamin (helps calm the nervous system)
Magnesium (helps calm the nervous system, I have bpd so this and the b vitamin really help calmer moods over time)
Vitamins d3 (I have soriasis on the skin so know I’m naturally deficient)
Cod liver oil (helps with brain function and joints)
Coconut oil for hair skin and nails

Things I’ve noticed as I’m progressing

I feel strong enough to say no to all carbs
I can go to the shop for hubby who is a sugar fiend and buy him treats he asked for and not feel I’m missing out

I did this diet for a year in 2018 and I am well versed on it, (I tend to research everything to death when I am interested in something), I know what to do and I don’t regret not sticking to it last year and not loosing any weight, even putting on just over half a stone, because I’ve given my skin a year to adapt after loosing 3st before now moving on to loose the other 3st.

(Hoteski) #39

Day 8 of sticking to keto. Felt a bit hungrier than I had been, think it’s down to ‘that time of the month’ I have just stuck with green veg and meat or fish for my meals. Did have to open up that dark chocolate bar and had the 90g the dark chocolate is over a few days. No big deal as it’s the lowest carb chocolate I can find. Also snacked on some pistachio and peanuts as I wanted something crunchy.

Not concerned with weighing myself this week as I’m on so I know my body will have an over inflated ego on the scales. Will weigh myself the day after my period stops. That will be the clearest indicator for me.

Out of 14 days of this year 8 have managed to be keto and all 8 are the last 8 days. Have a massive cake in the kitchen as it was my partner’s birthday last week and I’m not even tempted to try… I just think about all the sugar in there.

put the cake in a cabinet. out of sight. as much as you are doing so well, why look at the ‘pretty colorful, fun to eat’ thing :slight_smile: Hey I do it. out of sight ya know.

So glad you are doing well. Hold the fort and keep on trucking…you are changing and finding yourself! Cool!

(Hoteski) #41

I would expect the cake is too big to fit in a cupboard or fridge. It’s fine I’m not tempted by it. It’s fruit cake and not been a huge fan of those plus it has the fondant icing which I don’t like. I’m good