It's like I'm an addict

(Hoteski) #1

Day 5 of diet… This will be the first day I’ve managed to not fuck it up in one royal fuck up or another.

I feel like I’m some sort of an addict and I keep messing up. I’ve done this before. I did keto for a year before and lost 3st. Then stopped for a year and today will be my first day of sticking too it all day minus Coke zero earlier today.

In the year I didn’t diet so all of 2019 I gained 12lp … Could have been worse but I refused to go over to 15st something. It was too damn hard to loose it in the first place.

Now I’m 14st 10lp as of this morning.

I do feel I’ve done well today. Hopefully I can do well tomorrow… A week of keto and I know I’ll be ok. But right now I’m weak and have to retrain myself to say no to carbs

(Susan) #2

Most of us were Sugar and Carb addicts before finding Keto. It will take a while for your body to rid itself of the sugar and carbs again. You are an addict, most of us here are as well, but you can do this, and we will cheer you on =).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

I’ve never had the carb craving/addiction problem so I can’t speak to that from experience. However, I do have a suggestion: whenever you feel the craving/need/urge for sweet and/or just plain carb, eat a piece of cacao butter. It tastes like chocolate and even somewhat ‘sweet’ although it’s 100% fat. I’ve only just discovered it recently due to discussions on this forum. If you’re curious use the forum search for cocoa butter or cacao butter. I think this might turn out to be a very useful tool to retrain one’s sweet/carb obsessions. Maybe. :roll_eyes:

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #4

One day at a time, @Hoteski. Keep going. Eat things that you enjoy and enjoy the things you eat.

Mr S started keto at 14st 10lb as well! That was in early September. He’s just reached the high 12s.

It was a relief to me that I suddenly didn’t have to cater for him in the form of potatoes, bread, rice and pasta, the stuff that I was already avoiding on keto. We don’t miss them - instead we really enjoy buttery greens, creamy sauces and the odd fried egg as random side orders!

You can do this - just take one day at a time.

:+1:

Good luck! Think about your goals AND all the delicious keto food you can eat. And eat some of them. It always helped me if I was full, less room for problematic desires (I wanted carbier keto food and sweets, not true carby food but maybe it’s similar to some extent). If you have a dessert stomach like me, that’s tougher though complete satiation is still quite effective. I usually ruined things with starting with worse food. Just because you can allow carbs on keto, it’s not necessarily a good idea to start with a bit carby food, I learned that eventually. Eat some proper, fatty, protein rich food you like, that’s the best.
But we are all different, maybe something else makes it easier for you. Or just be strong/determined/stubborn, it will get easier soon, probably and you know you will benefit from it!

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #6

It’s so filling, too! I bought some cocoa butter drops around this time last year - I was so excited when they were delivered that I overdid it that day - the subtle chocolatiness was rather too moreish so I ate too many and was very sick…

I would just have one or two a day after that. It was lovely melted into hot tea! My supply is finished now and these days I don’t snack anyway - but they were brilliant at the time for tiding me over and quenching my thirst for something really gorgeous!

(Susan) #7

Where do you buy these? On Amazon.ca I only see powdered forms of it?

Dr. Robert Cywes approaches low carb eating treatments from an addiction model.

He has interesting things to say that may ring true and potentially help many of us.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

This one is available at local health food stores here in Vancouver

Woops! I had the wrong link above, sorry. It’s BUTTER, still powder and chunks. The chunks are quite brittle so break up into the powder slowly but steadily during handling. The best price I’ve found so far locally is at Nutraways, $21 for a 1 pound package. So if you’re eating 50 grams per day (which would be a substantial amount) this is about a 9-day supply. For example, I use 10 grams in my creamy bone broth now instead of MCT oil. I also eat small chunks of it before/after meals so I probably do eat 50 grams per day. But I’m not your average cautious experimenter. I’m a go for broke kind of guy who sees every hill as worth dying on. :heart_eyes:

(Heather Meyer) #10

Good! The first step to recoveey from an addiction is to actually acknowledge you have a problem in the first place!
This doesnt mean you are condemned or a failure when you relapse into old patterns. It means you are learning to take a risk and get your self healthier in a positive non-destructive way. So dust yourself off… dont carry shame or guilt about messing up. Ask for help even if you dont know if you need it. Find an alternative patttern of behavior to replace what eating is for you. Just not something destructive or harmful to health. Find a goal and a purpose in life and stick to working towards it step by step.
Find a support system-be it here or someone or another group.

You got this! One day… one hour…one minute at a time!

(Susan) #11

I won’t be able to get to any health food stores, so my options are Walmart, Costco and Amazon. I am guessing that Walmart must not have it, since you work there, and bought it elsewhere? Amazon has some though, so I will check it out on there, thanks =).

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #12

I got them from https://www.realfoodsource.com/. They’re in Scotland.

(Curveball: I gather cocoa butter is an ingredient in handmade soap… I don’t know whether it would be food-grade, but it might be worth trawling soapmaking suppliers if you draw a blank with online food stores?)

(Susan) #13

Would this be similar, I can order this from Amazon.

Or, maybe not, I just see for 8 ounces it will cost a lot, as it is $8.29 shipping too eek. We are on a very tight budget, so there is no way I can justify that. Thanks for answering though =).

This one might be good from Amazon and I can just wait until I am getting other things totally $35 and will be free shipping:

(Katie) #14

Keep at it!

Best advice I have is to chase down carbohydrate cravings with fat and salt.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #15

There’s nothing at Walmart that I’m aware of and I just did a search of Costco and turned up nothing there either. So Amazon it is, then. As I’m sure you are aware buy now, watch for the hidden costs that only show up at checkout. Also, the prices of stuff on Amazon can be breathtaking. If you’re seeing stuff that costs much more than $20 per pound, that’s more than it’s worth. The Ecoideas might be cheaper if you can buy 1 pound bags of it.

Just in case you did not notice it, I had the wrong link in my above post re cacao butter. I’ve corrected it to point to the correct product.

(Susan) #16

Thanks, Michael. I noticed on your site, that you can order it from them directly as well, but it is only free shipping if you spend $75 or more. The amazon I have to spend $35 for free shipping, but I could wait until we need to get something else from there.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #17

If you can get 1 pound bags of the Ecoideas at $21-$22 per pound (should be at least couple dollars less than two half pound bags) order two to get the Amazon free shipping. I’m searching for some source that beats Nutraway’s price, but no luck so far. I buy red palm oil in 4 liter jugs from an African market in east Vancouver at a fraction of the price of red palm oil in heath food stores. I’ve seen both cocoa and shea butters there. I plan a trip to check them out. The one time I asked about it, the guy at the counter said they were for skin care. But if they don’t have non-edible additives, I’ll probably give them a try.

(Susan) #18

My shopping choices are limited. location wise, which is why I end up buying stuff on Amazon. Thanks, though, I will order some from Amazon soon =).

(Hoteski) #19

Thank you for your responses. I don’t have a sweet tooth so unlikely to need sweet replacement. My.problem is bread, pasta, potatoes,rice, carrots and any rooty veg. That’s what iv been struggling with, that and fast food.

Yesterday i managed a whole day without breaking diet. the highest carb i had was colliflour and broccoli mash i make with cream cheese and a dry stock cube

I know what I can make in terms of foods i.just need to make them rather than grab a sandwich or heading towards the nearest pasta salad or Uber eats.

(Jeni) #20

If you live in Canada you can also get it at Bulk Barn and Winners/Home Sense for about $12. It’s really yummy putting the powder (in the bottom of the bag) in your keto coffee too