It took a year and a half to finally be able to increase my carbohydrate intake

(Mary McNeight) #1

I’ve spent a year and a half on the ketogenic diet. My body has finally started to repair its damaged carbohydrate metabolism. I used to get kicked out of ketosis whenever I ate over 20 carbs. I’m excited to report that I am now able to eat about 35 carbs a day without being kicked out of ketosis. As a type 2 diabetic it’s taken a long time to get here but it’s been well worth it. I never thought I’d be excited about being able to eat more vegetables, but I really am! Your body will adapt and heal itself, it just takes time. Just to give you an idea how to deranged my metabolism was, I’ve had blood sugar issues for probably 15 years. There is hope for You to eventually increase your carbs, but it will be on your bodies own timeline. Hopefully it won’t take as long as me. But I’m living proof a type 2 diabetic with years of bad eating can change their bodies response to carbs.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

Mary,

We each have a journey of healing and some of us take longer than others. I’m amazed at how fast some of our fellow ketoers heal. I’m on a slower path but I’m on that path.

KCKO

(Bob M) #3

What do you mean by being “kicked out of ketosis”? I have been low carb/keto for 5.5 years, and now never have morning blood ketones above 0.5 mmol/L unless I fast more than several days. I’m still in ketosis even when I read 0.2 mmol/L. And my ketones go up over the day, to above 0.5 (though not too much above there).

(Cathy) #4

More veggies is always a plus in my opinion!