It seems that the ketogenic diet is making me ill

(bulkbiker) #64

Thats from diabetes.co.uk a rather different and (in my opinion) far better place…

Don’t get me started on Losartan. It made me quite sick, to the point that I was diagnosed with COPD because I had huge issues breathing, my sinuses were constantly stuffed, and I was always thirsty, thirsty, and peeing all the time. I happened to run out of it, thought I had another bottle, but no. Ordered it (I get meds by mail) and it took 2 weeks to arrive. Meanwhile, I was feeling a lot better, not breathing hard, not as thirsty. I took the first pill and - bam! Breathing issues, unquenchable thirst, peeing constantly. Since I am well aware that correlation is not causation, I waited a week and then took another pill. Was fine for that week, took the pill and - bam. I have totally stopped taking it, I do not tolerate the side effects well. Perhaps, without the Losartan, you would not be as thirsty and would not need the electrolytes as much? If I were you, I would look up the side effects of all your meds and see if there is a culprit among them. We don’t all metabolize the same chemicals the same way.

(Alex) #66

A bit of a late response, but I was just listening to a podcast and it got me thinking about your post again. At approx. 1hr19 mins in the link below she starts talking about how cloudy urine can be a symptom of oxolate flushing that happens when someone switches from a high to low oxolate diet.

Going off keto presumably would increase your consumption of oxalates if you’re eating wheat, potatoes etc. and so may be switching your body back into absorbing rather than excreting? Just something to bear in mind if you go back onto keto at any point and find that your cloudy urine, back pain and sleep difficulties return as these are all potential symptoms of your body trying to rid itself of oxalates. Second the recommendation to mention it to your GP when you see them though to rule out an underlying medical condition.

Personally after experiencing a flare up in my eczema and joint pain again which keto wasn’t helping with I’ve joined in with world carnivore month (less catchy than veganuary) and my knees and back are hurting a lot less after only a week.

I think ultimately the benefit of strict carnivore (just ruminant-based) is that it removes pretty much everything from the diet that might be causing a problem, and therefore speeds up healing compared to playing around with multiple factors. It’s also nice to avoid a massive list of rules of what, how much, and when to eat, and to just eat fatty meat and drink water. That said, I know I’m coming from a keto background so going ‘zerocarb’ is less of shock to my body.

I’m glad you’re feeling better and I think that being less stressed makes a huge difference so if keto is causing you stress then it might not be best for you.

https://www.peak-human.com/post/sally-norton-mph-on-oxalates-plants-hurting-your-health-and-never-eating-spinach-again

@VirginiaEdie you’ve sent me down the rabbit hole with this one!

(Edith) #67

I would add that eating keto can also increase consumption of oxalate because on keto we tend to eat “healthy” greens and lots of nuts. We also make SAD substitutes using almond flour. These tend to be high in oxalate.

I believe that’s the problem I ran into as a result of eating Keto. I am now carnivore and I do believe I am experiencing oxalate dumping on occasion because carnivore is the ultimate low, well really zero, oxalate diet.

(Alex) #68

I think I am experiencing the same thing. My joint pain actually improved when I took a break from keto over christmas, but my eczema and sleep got a lot worse and the itching was driving me crazy so I went almost-carnivore which was carnivore plus green veggies. But a week of having creamed spinach every day and not only was my knee pain back but I started getting pain in my fingers which I hadn’t experienced before.

My new plan has been to stop over-thinking it and just eat ruminants and their offal. I can get a whole lamb for cheap here from the local farm so that’s what I will be eating mostly! I used to eat a lot of nut porridge and spinach so I’m hoping the oxalate dumping isn’t too bad but I have noticed some teeth pain and flaking skin already. But, my depression is a lot better and my eczema is improving so overall I’m feeling positive about it!

(Tony ) #69

I dont eat almost any green leaf plants at all ( and never have all my life, now aged nearly 70 ). I might have an occasional bit of lettuce ( nutrition value almost 0 ) and even rarer a bit of cabbage or brussell sprouts in a soup, but thats it. I suppose I’m quasi carnivore but like a few berries ( and heaven forbid ) a few peas and onions as well. I never actually liked the taste of spinach or kale and the like. The more I read about them, the more damming is the information and reported bad health results.

(Brendan Duff) #70

Hey guys. I’ve been on the Keto diet for 16 days now. I was in the optimum ketosis bracket earlier tonight. But now I am on negative / very low (urine test sticks). I haven’t eaten since lunch due to having severe Diarrhea earlier. Why am I out of ketosis??? How long before I get back into Ketosis?!

Help!

Hi Brendan. Welcome to the forum. Sorry about the diarrhoea.

You are probably in nutritional ketosis if you are eating very low carbohydrate or fasting and not doing anything to stimulate insulin release. You are just not spilling one type of ketone (aceto-acetate) into the urine. The better way to track is to check blood glucose and extrapolate a low glucose to a low insulin state. Or directly track blood ketones. Dietary change can create diarrhoea. Fasting is s good idea versus diarrhoea. But keep up your fluids and electrolytes (salt) Keep Calm and Keto On. KCKO

(Brendan Duff) #72

Thanks very much. Appreciate the advice.

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #73

A high level of ketones is not required. Would you say that we’re good in glucose metabolism if our glucose is through the roof? :slight_smile: People get fat adapted with time and their ketone levels drop. My ketone breath levels used to be around 2.5, now they’re around 1.0 after half a year of keto.

As @FrankoBear said, if you’re not eating carbs then you’re in ketosis or you’re dead. :slight_smile: