It happened like yall said

(Mandy) #1

Hey yall.

19 days on keto today. I think I’ve finally got my sodium in check… Took long enough! Also… Been using the ketosix for 2 weeks or so and getting some dark purple results. Past few days it’s backed off to light pink. I ordered a keto MOJO beginning of the week. Not because I’m super obsessed with checking myself (although there is some weird satisfaction to it) but because I’m definitely a data nerd/scientist at heart. It arrived today and showed 1.5 mmol/L. So it appears some of the spilling of ketones is gone and I’m getting to use them! Looking forward to more progress! I feel pretty good today with sodium in check. The scale has not moved really at all during this time but I’m gonna KCKO!

Thanks for all the help.

(Tammy Kidd) #2

Awesome! KCKO!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

Nice. I’m 6.5 weeks in and still showing high levels of ketones. I don’t think I’m fat adapted yet. I’m thinking it’s like the saying about being in love. If you have to ask, you probably aren’t.

But I’m not going anywhere. Just KCKO.
Of course I hope I’m not one of those that take 3 months to adapt, but if I am, so be it. N

(Mandy) #4

@tammy_steve1219 thanks!

@Anniegirl9 oh I’m definitely not fat adapted (or keto adapted? Is there is a difference?). I’m happy to be in steady ketosis but I know I have a good ways to go before I start burning the Krispy kremes I had 5 years ago, or the bags of gummy bears I had last month. Doh! I’m good with heading the right direction. KCKO!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

From what I’ve read, most people become fat adapted between 6-8 weeks, though some individuals can achieve it sooner and some can take much longer. But one of the indicators beside how you feel (more sustained energy, being naturally able to go longer times between feeding, clearer mind…) is that you will notice
Your ketones go down. That’s because your body is burning them for fuel efficiently vs still looking for other fuel sources and peeing them all out.

(Mandy) #6

I think I’ve read the same as far as time to get adapted. While I’m not a total pessimist, if the mail tells me I will get my package between 3-11 days, well…i can expect 11 days. That’s just how the cookie, err bacon crumbles for me. I’ve definitely got some new alertness and good happy feelings but who can say if that’s ketones or coincidence.

Ha! :joy:

(Ashley) #8

What are you guys using to check it?

(Mandy) #9

Keto MOJO here.

(Rob) #10

Maybe we should start a newb’s data nerd thread (jk … I think). I ordered my ketone/glucose meter at about 4 weeks in and haven’t looked back. I like test both my ketones and glucose and have enjoyed finding out how I react to different foods, brief fasts (36 - 40 hour) and once a week just finding out how I’m doing.

Are you planning on any n=1 type experiments or will this be strictly for monitoring every now and again?

Good luck and KCKO!

(Mandy) #11

Hey there. Nerdy keto peeps unite! Lol

I actually did a little test yesterday. I had some wine. Lol. It would appear the experts are right. When you ingest alcohol, keytone production is put on hold. After a glass and a some time passed, I was down from 1.5 to 1.0. I assume you can fluctuate for any reason throughout the day but I feel there probably is a strong link to the science that ketone production takes a back seat to alcohol burning. KCKO!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #12

I’m curious to how long a glass of wine puts you on hold.

(Mandy) #13

I’m definitely interested too. I was at .9 this morning but as I understand it, morning may be the lowest of the day. I’m going to track when I don’t drink wine to see what the morning number is. I’d wager it would be closer to 1.2 or so. I plan to test mid day to see if I sprung back. All this to say, I’m sure I fluctuate even without alcohol.

(Mother of Puppies ) #14

What type of meter did you get?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #15

If it follows the same rule for being in your blood stream, they say 1 hour for 6oz of wine.

But it could be very different as far as how long the ketone production process is on hold.

(Mandy) #16

Sounds right… Such is life. I’m willing to take the lessened production. I enjoy a glass or 2 with friends. Any WOE that doesn’t allow probably won’t be one I will stick to.

(Mandy) #17

For anyone interested, it took me nearly a day to recover. I spent all day yesterday floating between lo and .9. Which for the MOJO lo means less than .1. My eating habits were the same. This morning I’m back up to 1.3. So basically if I drink, I lose a day of ketones. Yikes. While this isn’t ideal, I’m still going to have wine with friends. Probably not as often but it will still happen.

(Rob) #18

@Westieholic To answer your question, I use a Precion Xtra glucose/ketone meter. I tossed the lancet device included with the meter as it made me not want to use it (I found it very uncomfortable). I picked up an Accu-Check Softclix and haven’t looked back.

(Mandy) #19

Hmm…maybe I should do the same! The lancet that came with my keto mojo seems to either not give me the right amount of blood or it goes so deep i have a purple mark for a day. seems a bit painful.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #20

Yikes is right. No wonder I’m so hit and miss with Ketosis. I only have the strips but appreciate your accurate reporting. Report back next time you go out with friends. Thanks for the info.