Is this fat right?!

(Claire) #1

1 week in and been doing a lot of reading on here to get hints and tips… thanks so far!
After worrying about too much protein I have read from you guys that I should drop it a little (currently exceeding my 97g goal) and up my fats for weight loss… i just want to double triple check this is right because it goes so against what is ingrained in us… just would like an answer of if I’m on the right track… got the carbs right I’m sure.
I’m using Carb Manager app and have lost 1lb in 5 days… pee strips show I’m in ketosis on a midway scale… please any advice!!

(Ron) #2

Sounds like your doing everything right!:+1:
You might start doing Ketoaide to supplement electrolytes as it will make transition (keto flu) a little easier.

(less is more, more or less) #3

You wish to increase your fat consumption, right? Remember not all fats are created equal. Focus on saturated fats, coconut or olive oil. Avoid vegetable oils. I’m unclear on seed-based oils, though I generally avoid those.

(Claire) #4

Thanks guys… just tried the chicken broth adding butter… bit weird but think I’ll get used to it! Any more advice greatly appreciated!.. plus if any of my Stateside keto people could show me what a cup of kale or something looks like would also be fabulous…We British people don’t use that measurement and find it difficult to visualise… thanks in advance!

(Chris W) #5

Seed oils are in general bad and cause inflammatory responses so avoid those.

(Claire) #6

Thanks . Am going to see what outcome upping my fats does :grinning:

(Chris W) #7

Sounds good,
Don’t panic at this point about protein, you are still winding up. In general protein can be a little high or a little low with out much consequence for one day or maybe two. If you stress about hitting the macros in of itself can cause cortisol to rise and give you issues so don’t fret about it. Same thing goes with the scale, if you get freaked out about it you could make it worse, so if you get freaked out by it hide it for a while. Try eating to your macros at first, mainly to get an idea of were you need to be with intake, and to start working on satiety. Eating extra fat may or may not help you but I would wait for a few weeks at least, once you get keto adapted you can play a little more with fat. Once you get fat adapted then you can really start to try things. I would in general not encourage you to try fasting, or restricting calories until you are fat adapted in a couple months time.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

I don’t know why we Yanks insist on volume measurements; weight is a lot simpler. But are you talking about a cup of kale before or after cooking? Before cooking won’t amount to much at all. Try this: about 2 kg will fill a very large saucepan and yield about 5-6 servings, once sweated down. Use lots of bacon fat and some seasoned salt, and it should come out pretty tasty.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful. The only time I’ve made kale was shortly after going keto and before I had any satiety signaling. I ended up eating almost all of it. I’m sure I was well over 20g of carbohydrate that night!

(Chris W) #9

A cup is quicker for me, I don’t have to use a scale, but on the other hand, cooked or raw makes a difference.
One cup is basically a hand full.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #10

If you have a food scale, do 67g of kale. That equals 1 cup.

Protein needs to be .6-.8 per lb of lean body mass, Many people overs estimate that LBM and under estimate the BF percentage.
I kept mine at .8 and less on a bulk doing keto,
did fine and minimal fat gain.

(Ron) #12

Here are some pixs-

https://www.google.com/search?q=cup+of+kale&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_2quZrujbAhXzIDQ

(LeeAnn Brooks) #13

I prefer to go by the weights on any fresh greens, because a measuring cup could vary wildly depending on how you pack it in there.

Just my humble opinion.

(Ron) #14

I appreciate that @Anniegirl9 and agree but do also understand the visual sometimes.:sunglasses:

(Allie) #15

I wouldn’t even worry about measuring a cup of kale as the crabs in it will be virtually non-existent.

(Alec) #16

There are crabs :scorpion: in kale?? … bloody hell, I better start paying more attention… :rofl::rofl::rofl::see_no_evil:

(Claire) #17

Morning all!.. thanks so much for all your advice and I think I get what a cup looks like now. Have ordered a kitchen scale for when I’m unsure!

(Allie) #18

Damn autocorrect :joy::joy::joy:

(Chris W) #19

Scales help, I am not as familiar with food labeling in the UK but if you do google search as well it often gives you portion sizes which makes life much easier. Google will even do the math for you sometimes try it. After a few weeks let hunger be a better scale than the actual scale unless you have a broken hunger/full response. One of the things I did around 3-4 weeks in was I would eat whatever the first meal of the day, then I would just figure out what I needed in protein for the next meal(s) and took extra fat. So I would eat my breakfast subtract that from my daily total in particular protein and go from there. I did a lot of things like salmon patties and hamburger patties so the size was consistent. As IF starts it becomes easier since you are eating in a tighter space and its easier to figure out.