Is there Anything Magic About Red Meat/Beef?

(Davy) #1

As an alternative, for a month, could one just eat seafood and the like, on Keto? and chicken?
Like instead of red meat, eat salmon, tuna, sardines, mackeral, chicken, chicken liver, to take a break from beef products?

Of course, but I believe that beef is superior to other products - chicken can be high in omega 6, I (where I’m from) have no trust in the info regarding where the fish are from and/or their nutritional value.
Sardines are the only fish I regularly eat though, they are local, small and delicious.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

I eat mostly herring, cod and pork liver, bacon, not much beef.

(Davy) #4

Interesting that you do this already, and that I’m looking at it now.
Course you live where fresh fish is abundant?
Do you use no coconut oil?

(John) #5

If you like beef, eat beef. I have it occasionally, but generally prefer fish and poultry. You can certainly eat a ketogenic diet without any red meat.

(Davy) #6

So this is beginning to sound like a Mediterranean/Keto Diet, minus the grains? . . . which may be a good thing.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #7

I love pork and can hardly tolerate beef, even though I try. I mostly eat pork, chicken, fish and venison.

(John) #8

I guess. There is a lot of overlap in various “diets”. A ketogenic diet is one that creates ketones. I don’t really care how people choose to label it, or if how I eat even fits into some sort of category.

(Davy) #9

Well, nice to know. I envisioned EVERYone on Keto was eating mostly beef.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #10

I used to think everyone was gobbling up bacon rashers at every meal, not true either!

(Davy) #11

‘rashers’ ? That something they eat up around Cinn.?
Never heard this word.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #12

I learned it on this forum. It’s a slice of bacon.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #13

They’ve always been ‘rashers’ for as long as I’ve been eating bacon - maybe a British thing? :thinking:

(Susan) #14

I don’t really like red meat much, I have never been a big fan. I like a hamburg patty once in a while, but it has to be just occasionally. I eat a lot of fish, chicken, bacon, some luncheon meats, more then I eat meat.

(Polly) #15

English usage I think. England UK :uk: that is.

I did mostly vegetarian keto until recently (when I did keto, I mean, I do low-carb since ages but went on and off keto a lot, it was nice but less than ideal and I realized I must go lower with my carbs and my problems with keto gets solved. at least it seems so this far).
I eat mutton, eggs, smoked pork and some dairy now (I keep my lactose intake very low if possible), I can’t buy beef every month (and I don’t even want to. not my fav, that’s sure. chewy and yeah, I can do something about it but still. I can’t just fry it like some “proper” meat… and the flavor is a bit weak too then and I buy beef from a good place. mutton is awesome and pork is the best thing ever if you ask me).
I mostly ate eggs in the last 9 years but I do my best to change it now a bit. I still keep some, I love eggs.
I don’t like fish except sometimes, especially the fattiest ones (but a lean boring one is usable too, mixed with some eggs).

(Full Metal KETO AF) #17

I eat mostly beef if I can get it on sale. Eating more and more of it on Carnivore.

Today’s OMAD, a 25oz Ribeye.

Beef is best! :cut_of_meat: :cowboy_hat_face:

Maybe this should be retitled ‘Is there anything magic about Beef?’

Lamb, mutton, pork, veal, venison, goat etc are all red meats as well. (I know you all know that, but everyone’s just talking about cow) :grinning:

(Bob M) #19

I would rather see the classification of ruminants. To me, that’s the healthiest meat, and lowest in PUFAs.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #20

I mix it up. Ground beef is my favorite. Bacon a couple meals a week. Definitely smelly fish as in sardines, smoked kippers, smoked, raw and seared salmon and other smelly fish at least 5 meals a week. Pork and chicken if that suits the wife.

Always eggs but of course they are not meat yet.

Steak once a week - rib eye.