Is there anything in these claims?

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/10/jimmy-moore’s-seminar-on-“safe-starches”-my-reply/

I came across this and it seems to suggest, with at least the appearance of credibility to the untrained eye, that keto doesn’t provide enough glucose.

Unfortunately it appears the issues it alleges are not immediate

(Rob) #2

It’s some folks shilling their book in 2011. They state that they advocate up to 100g of carbs for metabolically healthy people… which many people here would probably agree with.

Most of it IMHO is just speculative smokescreen defending their higher carb diet from hardcore ketonauts so they can continue to sell their books. I would think there is a lot more evidence refuting their speculations in the last 7 years.

Why would people agree with that here? That wouldn’t be ketogenic.

Isn’t that essentially what these diet ppl are arguing in favour of?

(Rob) #4

For metabolically healthy people 100g can be ketogenic.

If you are a typical person your body can manufacture whatever glucose you need.

Is this better than Sad, yes but then so is what my dog eats!

If you are an active, thin, metabolicaly healthy person, this may be good. If you have 50 lbs to lose with IR, this will not work in my opinion. I added some fruit and tubers a few weeks ago as an experiment, after 2 days I was craving regular pizza

that article seems to suggest that people with IR need to increase their insulin sensitivity by eating more fruit/sugar. That struck me as contrary

Is it optimal for the body to produce the glucose it needs?

Or is the body only meant to do that in emergency-type circumstances

(Rob) #8

It seems to be so for many but feel free to do whatever you want based on your n=1. Your nickname suggests that you can safely ignore their advice… unless it is ironic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t want to eat sugar at all.

But that isn’t why I asked. It may be that the body’s ability to produce glucose wasn’t intended as an ongoing thing, rather than in emergencies. I don’t know and would be interested in finding out.

(Rob) #10

But it is about you… there are people who are totally healthy as full vegans and many that fail to thrive (FTT) on the same diet. The same may well be true of ketonauts though anecdotally it seems fewer FTTs. There seems to be an increasing trend on these boards that leaner folks doing it for longevity and prevention are more likely to FTT on strict keto.

There is no hard and fast rule. Many ZC advocates obviously thrive in the long term without exogenous glucose and some people thrive on SAD. Historically, glucose availability was seasonal and year round storage was meagre so I really doubt that evolutionarily our metabolisms on average expect or need higher glucose levels.

The standard response is ask the the Eskimos and the Masai.

I really do not know and be honest have not thought about it. It is a good question but not currently relevant to me. Maybe if I ever get my insulin to 2 and my weight to goal I will worry about it. In the interim, it does not matter because that is not sustainable for me.

I have been eating moderate carb and moderate fat for many years, off and on since the mid 90s when I lost about 25 lbs that way (looking back I ate between 75 - 200 grams of whole food carbs a day). Since when I started keto last year I had over 100 lbs to lose, moderate carb was not working for me! When I was compliant it was ok, but it was hard to stick to. The kids ordered pizza, let me break it this one time, family going out to celebrate, this one time and so on. The problem was it was never one meal, it would turn into a week or a month when I did moderate carb no gluten.

In contrast I have gone off keto twice in the last year, both times were for a reason, one was an experiment suggested by someone here and the other was percipitated by the flu. Once was a preplanned 2 day period, the other 4 days (sick with cold/flu). I would love to eat sweet potato and quinoa but for me they are a gateway food so it really does not matter

(Renee Slaughter) #12

This right here.

(matt ) #13

It’s beyond contrary. It’s stupid.

There are some on here that suggest @240lbfatloss that you should periodically carb up. It simply did not work for me in my current situation

why do they do that?

I’m profoundly insulin resistant so I’m not going to worry about this right now, but if I one day get things turned around and notice the signs they’re talking about like fatigue and very dry eyes, maybe then I’ll do a trial of slightly more carbs.

(Mike Glasbrener) #17

Body builders have been doing this for many, many years. It’s calling cutting I believe. However, body builders aren’t necessarily the pinnacle of metabolic health. Running around with single digit percentage body fat requires severe discipline and metabolic manipulation. That said, for some it could work. However, body builders do significant weight training so perhaps context is also important.

is it actually true those two communities always eat very low carb?

I had read the masai do eat some grains/wheat

why do they do it?

(Mike Glasbrener) #20

They believe that cycling carbs is easier than constant low carb to cut retained body fat. However, body builders have been a niche for years and I doubt they were metabolically deranged to begin with. So YMMV…