Is there a fasting protocol when fat adapted?

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #1

I have tried to find a fasting protocol for fat adapted people, but I have been unable to find one.

I would like to understand such a protocol, if it exists, to decide if doing an extended fasting could make sense to me (I did two 5-day fastings in the past, but I was not fat adapted, and I did it without supervision or protocol whatsoever).

Fasting while fat adapted is simply easier because we can access our fat stores (also safer in the long term: since we can access our fat stores easily, our bodies are much less likely to catabolize muscle).
However, I would recommend starting with a somewhat shorter fast (2 or 3 days). It’s harder to do longer fasts when you’re lean, and aren’t you at or close to your goal weight? Take a look at one of the ZornFast threads on here for some good tips at the top of the thread. There should be an electrolyte drink recipe that is very helpful when fasting.

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #3

Yes, I am close to my goal weight. I am thinking in doing a fast after Christmas, to “purify” what I may eat of extra (it will be little, but it will be something; my family will help me on that).

(Bob M) #4

I do that, though usually wait until January 2nd. I usually do about 4.5 days. I take some minerals via salt and fasting drops. I drink my coffee and tea black. I don’t take vitamin D (which is in oil). That’s basically the protocol.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Are you seriously worried that 2-3ml or so of oil in a gel cap will affect your fasting? I can’t believe it would have any effect whatsoever. Coffee has some oil too. I’ve never heard of fasting drops, what are they? :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bob M) #6

I have no idea. Some people believe ANY calories stop autophagy. Are they true? I doubt it. But since I don’t fast for 24+ hours that often, it’s not a big deal to go without vitamin D. Coffee is a bigger deal.

These are what I’ve been using, though there are competitors (and I’ll often drink pickle juice for minerals):

(bulkbiker) #7

Do you think you are "fat adapted?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

@MarkGossage Hey there Mark, Happy Forum-versary! :cowboy_hat_face:

(Susan) #9

Happy forum anniversary @MarkGossage -you are certainly a great asset to this forum, I really enjoy your posts =).

(John) #10

Well I’ve been at this for about 15 months now, and am down to maybe 15 pounds into the “overweight” category, (though could stand to lose more like 25 more) so I assume I am fat-adapted by now.

My fasting protocol is to not eat for a day, during which time I drink a variety of liquids (water, several kinds of tea, regular and decaf coffee), and then go back to normal eating the following days. I continue to take medicines and vitamins during this time. Vitamins: B-complex, C, and D. And a magnesium supplement.

I do this one day a week, generally Friday, so it works out to somewhere between 32 and 42 hours.

Is that a protocol? Or just not eating one day?

(Joyce Russum) #11

I’m wondering as a new comer to this forum, my question is after your 4 day fast was there a significant weight loss and how did you feel after

(ben) #12

What would you consider as significant? 1/2lbs per fasting day is the average. When you’re not fat/adapted in keto, you’d lose more. Probably 8lbs, but you can be sure that’s water weight, which would bounce back fast enough (minus the 1/2lbs/day).