Is the “too much protein turns to sugar” a myth?

(Running from stupidity) #102

Film yourself using your (reasonably recent) phone. That’s all you need for a good scam these days. YT don’t send crews out for us plebs, no sir.

(Bunny) #103

That statement makes absolutely no sense in anything resembling the confines of reality but ok!

As is the case with such dialog there be a pot of fools gold wait’n at the end of the rainbow fer ya!

(bulkbiker) #104

What does that even mean?

(Bunny) #105

You tell me?

We’ll let you do the research?

(bulkbiker) #106

What ? you don’t understand what you wrote or you lifted it from another Dr Berg piece?

(Bunny) #107

I completely understand what I wrote?

Let’s see if you can complete this simple task?

(bulkbiker) #108

Well you seem to be saying that sugar burners have different insulin to keto eaters… does that about sum it up?
Our insulin changes?

(Bunny) #109

Bingo!

(bulkbiker) #110

Ok I’ll bite… studies? But please not a Dr Berg video

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #111

I believe the phrase is: “Show me the science.”

(Brian) #112

If you’ll forgive the interjection (meant as humor)…

But seriously, there are some differences of opinion, even among the doctors we all admire and respect. There are also variations in how some react to higher or lower levels of protein (and fat, and carbs). Some may even depend upon the metabolic health of the person and could change over time as a person (hopefully) becomes more healthy.

(Doug) #113

Yay. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’d say that while protein can be turned into sugar, in no way does that mean that ingested protein beyond the body’s requirements necessarily will be.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #114

Isn’t that what we’re debating? What happens to excess protein?

I think you’re saying that it’s hard if not impossible to get to that point??

(Doug) #115

LeeAnn, I think it’s easy to get to “excess protein” - we can only absorb it so fast (it’s around 30 grams an hour…?) and our bodies don’t store it - we have dedicated cells for storing fats and carbs, but not for proteins.

When we really turn protein into sugar is when the body thinks it’s starving, when it has no ready source of carbohydrates nor fats, or is unable to burn fat (because of high insulin level or other problem). When we say “too much protein,” that cuts that situation out.

Protein gets digested into polypeptides and then into amino acids in the stomach and small intestine. Charley @Dipper_Actual posted links to two types of amino acids, the ones that can be converted into glucose, and the ones that can be converted into ketones. For the ones that can end up as glucose, does the body need glucose or not? Assuming that one is not truly starving, and that one has gluconeogenesis going on, as with eating very little carbohydrates, then it’s a question if the body will make more glucose from the protein. I think the answer is no, or at least “no” with a high enough frequency that the blanket statement that “too much protein turns to sugar” is indeed false.

Liver function is greatly influenced by insulin, glucagon, etc., and the amounts and ratios of those hormones vary greatly in people who are keto and/or fasting, versus those who are not. This is especially true in human response to eating protein (as per Dr. Bikman). The liver is where the glucose is going to made, or not, as far as I know.

I still think the old “protein-sparing” action of carbohydrates deal is operative for truly starving people (definitely turning protein into glucose and using it for energy) - if one is already consuming their own protein structures, then eating carbs will slow it down or stop it.

That’s far different from those who are not starving, and those who are keto, and the premise in your original post was eating ketogenically. So, I think what applies is: 𝑎 𝑛𝑢𝑚𝑏𝑒𝑟 𝑜𝑓 𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑐ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑠 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑤𝑒𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛 𝑜𝑓 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑡𝑒𝑖𝑛 𝑏𝑦 𝑠𝑢𝑏𝑗𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑠 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ𝑜𝑢𝑡 𝑑𝑖𝑎𝑏𝑒𝑡𝑒𝑠 𝑑𝑖𝑑 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑢𝑙𝑡 𝑖𝑛 𝑎𝑛 𝑖𝑛𝑐𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑠𝑒 𝑖𝑛 𝑏𝑙𝑜𝑜𝑑 𝑔𝑙𝑢𝑐𝑜𝑠𝑒 𝑙𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑙𝑠. – http://journal.diabetes.org/diabetesspectrum/00v13n3/pg132.htm

And hey - if you test your blood sugar, have you tried it with eating protein?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #116

Protein is, in my experience, highly satiating, particularly without carbs. Just based on that, it’s difficult to eat excess protein if you’re paying attention to your satiation.

(Jane) #117

Wow

(Omar) #118

Are we saying that millions of years of evolution and our bodies did not learn how to deal with the extra protein.

So the body will say If I need it now and only now I will use it. and If I do not need it now while I may need it next week but I will toss it anyway.

I will accept such hypothesis under the condition that our bodies are not smart or need more time to evolve.

(TJ Borden) #119

No, we’re jusy trying to figure out what our bodies DO with it? It’s like a Penn and Teller act.

(Omar) #120

sorry If I sounded inpatient.

actually very informative input from all participants

(TJ Borden) #121

Not at all.

Impatient is: will you pick a jacket already? The meat shop closes in less than an hour.