Is the magic starting?

Ok so I have been eating keto for 2 and a half months now. I usually keep my carbs around 20g. My urine sticks were the right color and then started going pale. I was worried that I might be doing something wrong, but then I found out that when your body actually starts USING those ketones for energy, they can show up less in your urine. Then I read about all the people doing IF and fasting for whole days and I thought “How do they do it?” I had a rare day in between when I didn’t need any breakfast, but later on the hunger kicked back in. I also have been eating keto sweets- and realise that they might also have stalled my weight loss by inducing an insulin reaction- but I couldn’t resist the need for something sweet. At least it was all keto. But now- since 2 days- I am not hungry at all. I worry that I might be sick or something?! Where has my appetite gone? Dr Boz talked about needing discipline in order to begin fasting, and I just didnt have that discipline yet- or so I figured. But now I dont need any discipline? Yesterday i did OMAD just because i wasn’t hungry at all- in fact i only ate because I didnt want my veal liver to go bad and have to throw it away. I woke up this morning and again- I am not hungry.I think “But what about my delicious bacon and eggs?” Nope. Its like the thought of eating right now is the furthest away from my mind or system. Is THIS the new normal? Is THIS what happens when we are fully fat adapted? Am I even fully fat adapted? I keep expecting the hunger to return. Will it? Could you tell me your experiences? Or maybe I have some hidden disease and this is causing my loss of appetite? (I worry I might have cancer somewhere or something- that is how much this loss of appetite is foreign to me!) Is this what happened to you and then IF or OMAD becomes easy? If so then i can’t imagine keto WOE being such a double whammy of a miracle: you burn fat AND you are no longer hungry.

Going by my own experience with this, I found that the more fat I eat, the less hungry I am. I figure that once converted to burning fat, this is what your body is looking for. Provide enough and it is sated. I do intermittent fasting most days now, and if I feel hungry in the morning (it happens) I just eat some nice bacon or sausage and eggs fried in butter and I am sated til dinner. I anticipate this getting easier and easier as my body continues to adjust. I am not big on self discipline, I am kind of a glutton. This just happens when your body is ready.

(Rebecca ) #3

Hello! Your experience sounds pretty much like mine. When I started, back in mid June, I ate 3 ketogenic meals a day. I still remember the day I didn’t feel like eating breakfast. I had my coffee, and made it through my work, with mineral water on hand, until lunchtime at 1:30. I was amazed!! Now I rarely eat breakfast except for my coffee. My meals vary between 1 and 2 a day…I guess you could say I eat when I am hungry and don’t eat when I’m not! It sounds like you’re doing great!!

(back and doublin' down) #4

Yep! Sounds like your body has transitioned to fat burning, so it’s got the fuel it needs. Isn’t it amazing?? Breakfast, or anything before 11 or 12, is rare for me these days. And if I eat a decent sized lunch, an evening meal is very light cause I’m just not that hungry.

I get ya on the fat bombs, they helped me at the beginning too. Can’t remember the last time I made anything like that up, just don’t crave it anymore. My next goal is to eliminate artificial sweeteners in my hot tea throughout the day.

Your subject heading reminded me of a favorite quote from Richard Bach “Learn what the magician knows, and it’s not magic anymore.”

KCKO! You’re rocking it!

(Marianne) #5

Yes, this is your new normal. My time line was pretty much the same as what you are experiencing.

In my experience, I didn’t become fat adapted until 4.5 months in. Even though I had switched to OMAD after about two months from starting and ate very clean keto, very low carb, I still would get tired and winded with minimal physical exertion before that. Even though I wasn’t hungry, I would have to take frequent breaks to rest, and my heart would sometimes pound when doing anything strenuous to me. (When I was overweight, I was a total slug and couldn’t do anything, let alone want to, so I was extremely out of shape.).

When I became fat adapted, I remember working in the yard doing heavy gardening, and I didn’t have to stop. I had so much energy, it was surprising. I went all day (could never have done that before), and still didn’t need to eat before dinner. The difference for me was so extreme, there was no question that this is what being fat adapted was.

Maybe for you, your time line to fat adaptation is faster than mine. If not, you are well on your way and doing great!

Oh thanks to all of you! This is so wonderful to hear. I have to look up fasting because I did not eat until 6pm today. Is it Ok to drink some drops of apple vinegar in mineral water while fasting? Lots to learn. But for now, I like OMAD. And I also still have a burning sensation in my thighs when I climb stairs, so I guess maybe I am not fully fat adapted either. But this is just AMAZING.
I would just as much love to hear any more stories of the same phenomenon because it is so uplifting!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

No magic. Before your metabolism was coping as best it could living in a ‘Mad Max’ carb distorted world and consequences were what they were - less than optimum. Now your metabolism is in the real world it was evolved to live in. It’s not magic; you’ve just dropped the anchor you’ve been toting all your life.

@amwassil
Well it feels like magic when you go from "OOOO- Mac and Cheese with cauliflower " and “Oooo- chaffles with cinnamon and erythrit.” and then “Ooooo- loving my whipped cream with sugar free cocoa.” to - “Nah, no thanks.”
LOL
It feels damn great!:smiley:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke

(Susan) #10

Yes, it is fabulous =). I am glad to see that you have done so well, and wish you success for the rest of your Keto journey =).

@Momof5
Thanks momof. Now I understand how it works. Hopefully I dont have any glitches, but simply by having experienced this - I know that it is what keto is all about and one can always get back on it. This morning I am not hungry again… Hurray!

(Marianne) #12

:hugs:

Just keeps getting better and better!

(Deidra) #13

I had major racing heart, lack of energy (a couple of days having a hard time holding my head up), sore body for the 1st week. After a WEEK it was like I had snapped out of it and am so much more energetic, with a lacking appetite… Granted I am 33 and ate horribly before starting :thinking: Just depends on the person I guess. Kudos though, cuz Idk if I would have stuck it out for months of feeling like that. I felt like I got hit by a Mac truck!

@Deidra
Oh no. I didn’t feel like that. Some sleepless nights. A bit of lead in my arms kind of heaviness. But nothing like any kind of severe keto flu. i do have a rash now though.
My appetite came back. Sadly. But it is muted. I feel like I might be some kind of motor which is still sputtering or something. But I would love to have that high of energy and absolutely NO hunger again! You could have put a plate of hot chocolate croissants in front of me and I would not have been interested.
And I think I will feel this again, even if it isn’t constant.

I have been experiment with Ketosis and Low carb diets now for a period of 8 years. I lost 20.3lbs in 3 months (confirmed with DEXA scan pre and post) I do not use the urine strips. (too many false reading) Only blood tests. I eat 20-50 grams of carbs daily. I also do blood test 2-3x per year to check certain blood markers. On the weekends when my activity level is much higher, do I go up to 100+grams. (performance not weight loss) I have not been hungry since I started this journey 8 years ago. I rarely over eat. My first meal of the day is after 12 pm. Fat definitely satiates you. I believe one of the reasons why people lose weight is because they don’t eat as much as they once did. I will force my self to eat as I think I need to nourish myself. I do not want to downgrade my metabolism. This can happen on a Keto diet. My hack for this was fasting. No food or coffee, just water with sodium and magnesium. It seems to upregulate your metabolism. My Keto level is now not as high as it used to be. Morning levels are .3 to .6 mmL/l. After a two day fast maybe 3mmL/l. Never had the keto fog. It was pretty easy for me. I think biology also may play a role. I’m blood type O. If the goal is weight loss then no carbs and definitely no cheater keto sweats. Try to have the same amount of calories.
This is hard to do. Once you have reached your magic weight continue to eat LCH diet. You can still be in ketosis. I measure my 2-hour and my 12-hour blood fasting level, maybe 1x per week.

@ffskier
Oh I can only dream of having 50g of carbs/day. If I want to lose weight I have keep them below 20g. In transition, I definitely needed keto sweets. I might have slowed down my fat adaptation, but only now is my sweet tooth disappearing. But I have only been doing this for 2.5 months. I have lost 5 kilos. Slow is OK with me. What do you mean by: “I do not want to downgrade my metabolism” ? Downgrade? You mean to slip out of fat burning? Or inducing insulin secretion? How can that happen on a keto diet? By cheating? Or do you mean like the way something sweet- even stevia- can illicit an insulin reaction? Or are you talking about something I don’t know yet? 8 years is a very long time, so I imagine you have learned lot more than me.( Oh and as a PS - another absolutely not hungry day today. They come and go with me now. LOL)

(Jill F.) #17

I remember eating bacon and eggs everyday when I first started keto, and still feeling hungry at times. Then about 2 months in I made 2 eggs and 4 pieces of bacon like usual and I couldn’t finish it all! So next day I ate less, and less, and then I realized this is the magic they speak of!

I hit my goal weight last June and I still eat breakfast on days I wake up hungry but for most part I eat from 12 to 7 pm daily and do fine. I can eat around 50 carbs a day now to maintain but I also had to stick to under 20 to lose.

@MommyJill2005
Yeah - somebody who knew a man on keto told me “He began to really lose weight after 3 months” and I thought “Why? What happened after 3 months?” Now I am beginning to understand! I guess a lot of people give up before they experience this change in the way they feel!

(Jill F.) #19

Yes indeed! My first couple if months I lost more inches than pounds. Then it started falling off! I went from a size 14/16 to a size 2/4 just doing keto and moderate exercise. It was like a miracle, just had to rethink food once and for all.

@MommyJill2005
Did you do anything special or different, or is it “simply” the IF?