Is the ketogenic diet right for you?

(Richard Morris) #1

So let’s ask some registered dietitians.

Would it be invoking conspiracy theories to observe that the peak organizations for dietitians in both Australia and the USA are sponsored by the Cereal industries?

Ladies and Gentlemen - I give you registered dietitians talking out of their fundamental orifices.

(Larry Lustig) #2

Sorry, I don’t know what the word “peak” means in this context. Is this the same as saying “leading organizations”?

(Richard Morris) #3

yep dietitians in Australia have a peak body organization that represents them called the Dietitians Association of Australia.

(AnnaLeeThal) #4

Worst effing article ever. So…their reasons for not recommending the Ketogenic diet for weight loss is that it’s not sustainable because people really can’t stay away from the carbs? Let’s give the human population some credit and look at all the people that have actually made this a sustainable and highly enjoyable way of life! Oh, and it doesn’t supply all the essential nutrients?! My diet is more nutrient dense now than it ever was!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #5

Y’know, there was a time when I’d have leaned towards ‘yes’ on the conspiracy theory question, but it’s becoming ever more apparent that industry does absolutely deeply influence medical/nutritional practice through funding of both research and professional associations.

It’s awful.

For folks who haven’t seen it yet, give “Sugar Coated” a watch (it’s available on Netflix in the US). Gary Taubes and Rober Lustig are featured, among others. Certainly appears that the sugar industry has followed the blueprint of the tobacco industry in terms of protecting their profits and turf. Hopefully they’ll eventually reap the same reward.

(Larry Lustig) #6

But does “peak” mean officially recognized? Or just respected in some way? Or that they meet on mountain-tops? In other words, are there other such organizations in Australia, or could there be?

(Richard Morris) #7

Yeah they have a legislative requirement to regulate the profession in exchange for a monopoly. The AMA is the peak body for doctors for example.

(ianrobo) #8

This piece is not that negative. OK the conclusion is based not he nutriontists but note they are not saying Sat Fat is bad for you …

I take that as a big positive for once …

(Meeping up the Science!) #9

@AnnaLeeMI That is why most medical bariatric programs, including the best in the country, encourage you to eat 130g carbs/day. They feel eliminating carbs is not sustainable psychologically. Rather than provide behavior support this is what happens.

(Guardian of the bacon) #10

That article is rife with contradictions. It’s basically saying, “This is the way to lose weight but you’re too weak to sustain it so don’t bother”

Overcoming big business $$$ is going to be a huge hurdle.

(Larry Lustig) #11

To be fair, that is an accurate characterization of CICO Eat Less, Exercise More dietary advice.

Did u know both AMA and DAA are both self regulating bodies and are not under AHPRA but of course are free to make complaints.

(Richard Morris) #13

Yeah I get why the Dietitians Ass. of Australia are … apparently diet is considered a low risk low value treatment.

But the Aust. Medical Assoc. should be surely.

(Clive Butler) #14

To be fair, it makes a good point, because when I introduce this WOE to a lot of people, their basic response is that they could never do it for an extended period. When you think about it in terms of addiction it is right, addicts don’t give up their drugs lightly

How sad…here is how the article ends…

"Bottom line

The ketogenic diet is a very restrictive plan that most people can’t stick with and shouldn’t try for weight loss, the nutritionists said. People with heart disease or diabetes should especially stay away, …"

The two segments of people who need the most help are those with heart disease and diabetes…and they receive the strongest warning…how sad…

(paddy0761) #16

That’s actually a fairly soft approach compared to what we are used to here in Ozland.

I’m NOT nominating that for the Australian National Astroturfing League’s (ANAL) hit piece of the year award.
Although the Dieticians Assoc. of Australia (DAA) and ANAL are a match made in heaven, they can do much worse than that.

…just testing Blur Spoiler - Hope it works as I think it does.

(paddy0761) #17

That works. Cool. This forum platform is da bomb.

“shouldn’t try”? :rage: What the ever loving fuck?!! Seriously, what type of arse-hattery approach is this?

Better to try and discover that it may not be for you, than to not try at all, right?

Pre-keto my favourite foods were potato (in all forms) and bread. These two items were basically incorporated into every meal I ever had; I followed the food pyramid and basically did everything dieticians say. Yet there I was fat, depressed, exhausted and hungry ALL THE TIME.

If I can stick to this WOE, then anyone can. An odd non-keto choice or slip up along the way doesn’t mean Keto is useless and not worth bothering with.

Perhaps if people were encouraged more and the focus shifted from what was being “given up” to “what can be gained” this WOE may not seem so scary or prohibitive to the uninitiated.

Sorry for the rant, but this attitude from the DAA is just so frustrating. While I don’t blame my doctors and dieticians who have provided me with nutritional advice in the past, I do wish I had been made aware of opposing positions or views so that I could have made an informed decision much earlier, ie. before I became so heavy. On the up side, since starting keto and seeing success in my numbers, I have peaked my GP’s interest in keto as an alternative. :smiley:

From John Mason

To keep things very simple (so please don’t go all geeky on me)…Every living creature’s structure on this planet is made of proteins and fats. For humans, that’s 35 trillion cells, relying on a supply of protein and fat to repair and replace.
Protein’s function is to provide the essential building blocks to enable this ongoing process to take place. Protein is NOT a primary source of energy. Dietary fat provides the same, but also provides our energy!! Is it any surprise that fat contains over twice the number of calories than protein, so it can accomplish both functions?
Inadequate protein will lead to a breakdown in the health of those cells. Excess protein will be converted to energy and ammonia, urea and uric acid ( a process that creates excessive heat, and damage).
Protein comes primarily from meat, poultry, fish, dairy, and crustaceans. All of which contain necessary fat too.
Eating 1 gram of protein per kilogram of bodyweight is plenty. The average person, therefore requires around 60 to 80 grams of protein a day.( or roughly 400 to 600 grams a week, to allow for daily variations in intake). Not too little and not too much!!
Eating between 100 and 200 grams of dietary fat fulfills your macronutrient requirements.
Please note, that there is no need for any carbohydrates.

(Georgia Dodd) #20

“People with diabetes should definitely not try”. Right.