Is the ketogenic diet right for you?

(ianrobo) #21

and that whole quote should be said to anyone doubting it, thats science and facts no some made up bunkum based on dogma

(Richard Morris) #22

He pretty much nailed it,

1. Protein to maintain your body
  2. Fat for energy to run your body
  3. Carbs to sneer at

My doctors sent me to a nutritionist after some health issues, and got the traditional lecture about healthy carbs and such. I tried to have a discussion using studies, and she kept going back to a picture of how my plate should look, with 1/4 starches, 1/2 vegetables, and 1/4 lean meat. Finally, we had to agree to disagree! Iā€™m sure itā€™s noted in my chart that I am uncooperative in regards to dietary choices!

Something similar happened to me at my first and only T2DM Nutrition class when I was first diagnosed. Even then it made no sense to suggest eating things that convert to glucose and raise blood glucose for someone who has a problem regulating blood glucose.

(Marc) #25

@BillJay, it sounds like youā€™ve been doing low-carb for quite awhileā€¦ What brought you to low-carb? How did you learn about it?

I was diagnosed with T2DM in 1998 at 6ā€™0", 320 lbs, and a fasting blood glucose of 265 mg/dL (14.7 mmol/l), but before that I was trained as a paramedic so I had a medical background and the basics of low-carb were just intuitive - the problem was the cognitive dissonance from what weā€™re taught about diabetes and heart disease and whatā€™s based on real science.

My first forays into low-carb were more like low-carb, low-fat and Atkins-style with lean meats and vegetables which worked for a time.

Eventually I started reading and learning a lot from the Internet and worked my way into a ketogenic diet.

(Marc) #27

Wow! So, I have to ask, what do others in the medical field where you work think of what youā€™re doing? I have a number of doctors in my family which sneer at what Iā€™m doing. Iā€™m just dumbfounded at how ignorant they are.

As far as diabetes and heart disease, there is a strong link between diabetes and heart disease. Thereā€™s a page (American Heart Association) where they say that diabetics are 2 to 4 times more likely to die of heart disease (Iā€™m guessing this is vastly under-reported). The diabetes groups say to avoid eating fatā€¦ :thinking:

(Keto in Katy) #28

Is the ketogenic diet right for dietetic associations, the processed food industry, or the pharmaceutical industry?

Iā€™ve been a software developer and havenā€™t worked in the medical field in a long time; I started programming early in high school and itā€™s what I really prefer to do. :wink:

Early on most of the doctors didnā€™t really ask about what I was eating and just prescribed medications, but I was lucky in the sense that decreasing what everyone considers ā€œbadā€ carbs, reducing calories and increasing activity actually worked to reduce my HbA1C into acceptable levels without medication after losing weight. They just considered my T2DM to be ā€œdiet and exercise controlledā€. I did stay on statins for quite awhile which lead to horribly low Testosterone and side-effects from the statins.

At some point after trying to add back carbs for a variety of different reasons and getting sick of the statin side-effects, I switched to LCHF and that ā€œhigh-fatā€ is when the doctors began to notice and disapprove; they usually prescribed a statin that I politely refused to fill, or switched to Niacin which I would take to appease them.

I informed my very latest medical practitioner when he ordered bloodwork that my cholesterol would probably be over 400 mg/dL (it was actually 404 mg/dL with a favorable TG:HDL ratio of 0.3) and suggested he add the Quest Diagnostics CardioIQ (it showed benign Pattern A) that would identify the different LDL fractions and to my surprise, but the time the results and my appointment came around, he had gone out and educated himself on the current state of medical science concerning heart disease risk! Then we chatted about Dr. Peter Attia and other LCHF things for a while.

(Arlene) #30

Consider yourself fortunate. In my experience, most doctors donā€™t bother educating themselves like this. Theyā€™re either too tired by the end of the day, or simply not interested in anything that isnā€™t spoon fed to them by sales people and the required occasional seminar of the same old garbage they have already learned. Lucky you.