Is Protein in keto important?

(Simon Saunders) #1

Hi All just finished a 5 week post and wrote about optimal levels of protein in a ketogenic diet, enjoy.

I'm lean now.....so now what?
New(ish) and Now Struggling

Very interesting compare and contrast methodology you got here! Nice job! Thank you for synthesizing this info.

(Patrick B.) #3

This is a very frustrating thing for me because doctor/scientists have such a range of opinion on the matter. I’ve decided to split the middle and go with .7g

(Simon Saunders) #4

At 1 meal a day 0.7 is sustainable.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #5

I notice that they all specify it in terms of grams per kg, but in various places, I’ve heard or read Steve Phinney express it in grams per pound, and this is more useful to me, because I weigh my food in grams (and that’s how it’s sold in the UK), but I weigh myself in pounds (well, actually stones and pounds, because we’re quirky like that over here (where 1 stone = 14 pounds).

And the numbers that I wrote down and have kind of internalised are 0.6 g to 1.0g per pound.

( personally aim towards the lower end and often round it down to 0.5g per pound - at least that’s the aim - not always the execution).

hmm…however, even 0.5 g per pound is more than 1.0 g per kg, so maybe my numbers are a bit on the high side. But for my estimated LBM, my numbers only allow me about 60g of protein, which isn’t a great lot really.

So how many gram of protein are you guys eating?

I usually eat 60 - 100 grams of protein and I’m around 163 lbs at about 16% bodyfat which is roughly 1.0 to 1.6 gm/kg of LBM.

(Patrick B.) #7

I haven’t landed on something I feel is right. I fluctuate between 92g and 113g of protein.

I eat around 45-55g of protein a day. I weigh 140lbs (12% body fat). I’ve sustained this for a while without problems. When I was higher protein GNG was a big problem for me. I think sudden changes in protein consumption are a problem, whether raising or lowering.