Is one way better than another?

(Lori) #1

I’ve been reading a bit about IF and I want to give it a shot. I did it breifly in the past where I was basically eating one meal a day at about 7 or 8 PM after I got home from the gym. I found that it didn’t work well for me but I also was not eating ketogenically at the time. I’ve also been reading about different methods of IF and have recently purchased and begun reading the book “The Obesity Code” by Dr. Fung to learn more about insulin resistance, ketogenics and IF.

I think what I would like to try is an every-other-day type of thing. So from what I understand, that means today I would eat my normal foods (ketogenic / low carb) but then not eat again from dinner tonight until dinner tomorrow night. After that one dinner meal tomorrow, I wouldn’t eat until the following day when I again eat my normal foods. And basically it just alternates so every other day I would be doing a 24 hour fast (from dinner one night until dinner the next) and eating normally on the other days. I also read that once in a while you should do a higher calorie refeed on your “normal day” to prevent your body from lowering its basal metabolic rate. I’m thinking this might be the best approach for my lifestyle and also for me to have success.

I’m wondering if anyone else has done this or if you have found more success in eating one or two meals every day (more of a 16/8 type of IF) as opposed to the every other day thing?

And one last question…I’ve read conflicting information where one doctor/study says to igenst nothing but water on a fast day and another says it is okay to have broth, coffee/tea, etc (even with cream) providing you don’t go over 500 calories for that day. Any opinions on that?

I’d really like to hear if anyone has done various ways and has found more success with one way rather than the other. Just to clarify - my goals are to lose weight (approximately 15 to 20 lbs), maintain muscle mass, maintain or increase performance at the gym so that is what I would be measuring success by.

Thanks for your help!

Two things…

1. everyone is different. Some people (like me) cannot touch broth or cream during a fast, as it breaks the fast, while others can do broth and cream.
  2. recent 2 keto dudes episode had Megan Ramos saying that it is good to change things up, not fall into a long term routine, to keep your body challenged

Fungs book on fasting has three different schedules, what you are talking about sounds like the 24 hour fast, which you do 3 times a week.

Sunday
Breakfast: Fast
Lunch: Eat
Dinner: Eat

Monday
Lunch: Fast

Tuesday

Wed

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

So you fasted 24 hours three times each week. This is dinner to dinner, you could do lunch to lynch too.

I suggest the book on Fasting… it talks about IF and EF and has lots of great info.

The “best” way is whatever works for you.

(Nora Torres) #5

Hello, I have the Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung. Which fasting book are you recommending? :blush: thank you!

(Daniel C.) #6

Sfast 48 hrs if u may eat for 1 full hour and then fast again 48 hours. Fast results. Ussualy a month will do the job

16/8 is good but that s …newbie

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Fasting-Intermittent-Alternate-Day-ebook/dp/B01MF8SC2X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490394737&sr=8-1&keywords=the+complete+guide+to+fasting

(Nora Torres) #8

Thank you :+1::blush: