Is OMAD + weekly 48+ hour fasting too aggressive?

Hello all,

First time posting here…

Pre-pandemic, when on Keto, I was skipping breakfast most days anyway. I would just jump right into work and not bother with breakfast. Then I began working out around lunch time and stumbled into OMAD. While trying to figure out what was causing my abdominal pain (before I knew it was gallstones), did a couple 48 hour fasts without too much discomfort.

I am trying to get back on the wagon after a couple years not adhering to my Keto lifestyle. Now after gallbladder surgery I am trying to shed the 40 pounds I gained since mid 2018.

I know I need a plan in order to see results. So I was contemplating OMAD Monday & Tuesday then an extended fast from dinner on Tuesday through Thursday dinner or Friday dinner if I am feeling good. Then eating with my family 2 to 3 times a day over the weekend before starting the cycle over again on Monday. With the pandemic I usually only get in a good amount of exercise on the weekends, but not too much during the week.

I tend to be an all in kind of person and I thrive on seeing results. I believe that if I stay stay low carb and avoid snacking my insulin levels should stay low and therefore reduce the chance of my metabolism slowing. Is that too aggressive?

(Bob M) #2

It might be. There’s a danger in overdoing fasting. If, for instance, you find yourself getting really cold, that’s an indication of overdoing it. By this, I mean REALLY cold, as in you can’t touch your hands to your own body cold. (Getting a bit cold is typical; it’s getting ferociously cold that’s not.)

I don’t think we place enough emphasis on the “feasting” part of the equation.

But you could try this one week and see what happens. If it gets tough, try 2MAD instead of OMAD, then the extended fast. It’s also possible to do something like 36+ hours twice a week.

And it’s even possible to vary it, eg, one week as planned, one week 2MAD mostly but 1-2 36 hour fasts, one week with multiple OMADs and 2MADs, etc.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

If you are just getting back into keto, perhaps you might wait for a bit before starting to fast again. What I mean is, wait at least until you find yourself satisfied enough to start accidentally skipping meals before you start skipping them on purpose.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

Curious. Why do you think OMAD and weekly 48+ hour fasts are something you ought to try?

I’m not a Big Loser™, but I lost 35 pounds the first 6 months just doing standard keto. That’s all I lost and have maintained +/- a pound or two for four years since. Why don’t you try simple first?

(Michael) #5

Hi ehawk01,

You seem to be a lot like me, I just started Keto in June and I have already done a few fasts and am currently eating only beef (all in so to speak). I would say no, provided you really feast and feast hard. As mentioned, feasting is the key to fasting – otherwise you just starving yourself. Having said this, if your goal is simply to lose weight (as opposed to working on insulin resistance or curing a disease), I would not go with extended fasting as the main tool, only as a complementary tool to your diet, which can take care of weight loss very well.

I have done the simple. I started Keto in 2016 and lost close to 80 pounds over two years. I stumbled into the OMAD because of that. I simply did not feel like eating in the mornings. However I stalled out with that approach and would bounce back and forth + or - 15 pounds for the next 18 months until developing very painful gallstones. I added another 25+ pounds through the pandemic up until now. I have to watch which and how much fat I eat now that I no longer have a gallbladder. I think the carnivore is now out of the question. So I am trying to figure out a schedule that helps me get back to where I was or to be in even better shape. I hope to keep it until I a lose approximately 40 pounds. At that point I will reevaluate how much more body fat I should lose and how my overall health outlook is.

So far in the last couple weeks I have dropped about 8 pounds. I am sure much of that was water weight. But I am definitely back in ketosis and not feeling like I need to eat/snack all the time. I just do not want to slow down my metabolism by going at it too hard or get demotivated by little or no progress.

I am defiantly trying to improve insulin sensitivity and keep from having to go back on medication in addition to reducing body fat and generally feeling better.

key to it all in the bitter end is an eating plan that is long term sustainable.

that is what gets results and holds results.

all the tricks/tips/going insane on ‘dieting plans’ that will wreck us cause they aren’t sustainable are just fluff ya know…in that a few can tackle it, do well, but MANY can’t and won’t…as most of us know thru our years of ‘trying to diet’ and ‘get healthy doing it’ and failure is what I see in this ‘new plan’ you are wanting to jump on board.

think long term sustainable and results that come slower and change your life vs. an immediate instant weight loss gratification that when you do ‘stop cause ya can’t maintain it’ (but ya might be that 1 in a mil who can) is the best way to go.

back on great good keto. back to long term health sustainability that suits your life and let the lbs drop in a slower form then to force what you probably can’t maintain and trying to starve down the body, cause once off the forced omad and fasting…the weight comes back…well all that crazy tough tight plans happened that way for me so?

you might do ok…give it a go…see how ya do and learn thru it…but the best laid plans…right?

alot of times most of us never see the big picture and what it takes, that long term commitment that gives to us vs. the fast and furious that most times ends in a car wreck situation…just thoughts I have on it now :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #9

I agree with @Naghite about not needing long term fasts. I try to do a 4.5 day fast periodically, and 36 hour fasts at times, but that’s because my fasting insulin is still a bit high, and I’m looking for anti-cancer effects (if such exist).

@ehawk01 Without a gallbladder, is that mainly a fat thing? Right now, I’m eating a lower fat, mainly meat diet. Today, for instance, I’m doing OMAD, reduced calorie, with lean beef, goat’s milk yogurt with added protein. Though I will periodically eat some fat.

But I think it’s possible to eat (primarily) meat, without necessarily adding a lot of fat.

@Naghite yes the gallbladder is mostly a fat thing.

@Fangs I think you are probably right about it not being sustainable.

Maybe I will try and stick with OMAD during the work week and maybe only eat twice on the weekends. See how far that gets me and if I hit a wall throw in a 48 hour fast to get things moving again.

yea you got time to learn what works best without giving it that very tough eating regime…you will find a good pattern to suit you :slight_smile: