Is My Weight Loss normal?

(Dan) #1

I started Keto a month ago and am absolutely loving it. Keeping my carbs at or below 20g a day. I am 5’10 and started at 255lbs. The first week I lost 7lbs, which I am assuming was water weight, which I was happy about. Then I went 1.5 lbs for the next two weeks. Again, I was very happy being down 10lbs in 3 weeks. At week 4 I dropped 5 lbs, I was not expecting that at all. Is it normal for a big drop like that? Should I be concerned something is not right? Thanks in advance.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

5 lbs in one week a month into keto is a very large amount to lose. Are you undereating or doing fasting? I would suspect you’re not consuming enough calories possibly and you might hit a wall soon if your body decides to go into famine mode to conserve energy. At any rate it will slow down the more fat you lose especially towards the end. People usually hit a stall at some point and have to tweak their food habits to get more loss. I hope this was helpful. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jennifer) #3

I’m not an expert, but I’d say that’s within the realm of normal. I mean, everyone is different and will lose at different rates. I’ve held on to weight for a couple weeks, then BOOM 5 pounds gone.

(Christy) #5

I’d be doing back flips, personally lol … or at least trying to! Congrats!!

How do you feel aside from the weight loss? Do you have any underlying health issues?

(Carl Keller) #6

Not counting the intial water weight, I would say losing 10 pounds per month puts you at the head of the weight loss class. I experienced similar losses and I have noted a few others who have lost this quickly.

I’m just hoping that your energy levels are high and you are not having to deal with a lot of hunger. If either or both is happening, then I agree with @David_Stilley that you may not be eating enough. If you feel fine, then enjoy the ride (while you can). Your hunger will probably come roaring back sooner or later as it will revolt against the drastic weight loss.

(Dan) #7

Thanks all. I’ve been eating around 1,600 calories a day. I am not giving myself a hard limit just eat till I am full. I haven’t had much hunger until yesterday. Where food that was making me full doesn’t do it and I have to eat more to get that full feeling back. I was at about 2,000 calories yesterday. I would imagine I will be around that today also.

(Dan) #8

Also, no energy issues. I feel great, way better than I did before keto. Like @CarlKeller said, my hunger has come roaring back starting yesterday.

(Karim Wassef) #9

Don’t be too alarmed or too excited :smiley:

A couple of key things to consider - first, weight in the short term is usually a reflection of “food flux”… this is really water and food moving through you at different rates based on the shift in hormones like insulin and cortisol. So, it’s really not you losing weight, it’s just a change in the mass of material flowing in and out.

Second, inflammation is a major source of water retention. As you change your macros, your inflammation changes and you will release a lot of water.

You experience these going from SAD to Keto. I even experience the same effects going from Keto to fasting (same thing, different degree). I can lose 10 lbs in 2 days during such transitions.

The good news is that it ushers in a more realistic phase of real weight loss that will be much more gradual but also more sustainable. :smiley:

(Carl Keller) #10

It happens. :slight_smile:

What helped me was including a few feast days in my week… to fully reset my hunger. The good thing is that it wasn’t the same type of feed-me-now-or-I-will-make-you-miserable sort of hunger I used to get on the SAD. It was much more polite and easier to manage.

From here on out, it’s mosly about understanding your hunger and making the correct response. If you can master that, you will learn something most won’t ever learn in their entire life.

(Jay Henry) #11

G’day DoubleDown,

I am a similar starting weight and build to you, 5’10" and my starting weight at 7th Jan 2019 was 251 lb.

I am now in week 12 of Keto though I’ll admit I haven’t been very strict with macros, just eating very low carb. I have also had my appetite come back at time to time our of the blue.

This is how I have tracked, I certainly slowed after the first few weeks but for the most part it has been coming off:

Week 0: 251.5 lb Starting weight|
Week 1: 5.7 lb Loss
Week 2: 6.6 lb Loss
Week 3: 1.8 lb Loss
Week 4: 3.7 lb Loss
Week 5: 3.3 lb Loss
Week 6: 1.8 lb GAIN
Week 7: 4.4 lb Loss
Week 8: 1.1 lb Loss
Week 9: 0.2 lb Loss
Week 10: 9.9 lb Loss
Week 11: 1.3 lb Loss

Hoping the downwards trend continues!

Aiming to get to somewhere around the 188 - 195 lb weight.

(George) #12

Seems pretty normal. I lost about 23 lbs. just in my first month, then an average of 2 lbs./week, every week.

(Maria Ortiz) #13

Sounds fine to me. Yeah there are tons of “guidelines” but we aren’t robots and are all different. I lost weight faster than you when I first started keto.