Is it just me or does everything taste sweeter?

I just treated myself to three strawberries with homemade whipped cream and had this experience. They tasted very sweet. (But delicious!)

I also had a sip of Kirkland’s flavored sparkling water the other day. It was way, way too sweet for me. Blech! Amazing how that can change in a few short months.

(Sylvie) #42

Hello everyone, This post is what made me sign up for this Ketogenic Forum. I am grateful I found it. Thank you. I am 51y. I hit the 4month mark today on Keto, have lost 15kg ( ca.33 pounds) and have been off sugar all this time. In the last couple of days all berries taste so sweet. I buy them frozen , when off season. I became suspicious…for sure they are adding sugar I thought…Then yesterday I ate a fresh red bell pepper…and there again…so sweet. So with this post, I got what is happening. Thank you!! Hope to be able to give back

Zero carb eater here.

I can taste a molecule of sugar from 10 miles away LOL, I can smell sugar laden foods from 20 miles away HAHA

yes everything will get sweeter as you delete foods and eat very clean.
Many LC, Keto people experience this.

My worst was when I ordered unsweet tea and the waitress filled me with sweet tea. I took a giant big old gulp and darn near spit it in my hubby’s face at the table. I spit it back into the cup. WOW. It was like someone poured straight white sugar into my mouth and said, here, eat up LOL I dropped unsweet tea from my life now also a while ago. yuk.

(Sylvie) #44

Hi Fangs,
Thank you for sharing that info. I so get it!!
And tasting a molecule of sugar 10 miles away…? LOL
S.

TOMATOES! So sweet now!

I can relate though I am not quite there yet, I am more sensitive to the bad tasting sweeteners, they makes anything horrible even in super tiny amounts. But sugar and carbs in general are very obvious to me if there is a small but significant amount. It is so odd to me that some people seemingly can’t notice if they eat a very low-carb or a carby stuff sometimes. They are totally different to me, carbs can’t hide.

Things get sweeter on keto but even cutting out sugar does that even if the one in question eats lots of sweets and even sugars but not table sugar. It happened with my relative with diabetes and with my SO as well and they eat lots of carbs and sweet stuff as well. They feel things about as sweet I do after several years on low-carb and traning myself to enjoy unsweetened stuff.
I always felt the sweetness of vegetables, it’s real, sweet sugar, after all but I feel them sweeter now and some vegetables and fruits are just too sweet sometimes. But some items stayed just perfectly sweet and some fruits are still not really sweet. Freezing and cooking can seriously change perceived sweetness, in any direction.

Light black coffee is sweetish to me sometimes. My tastebuds are bad with logic. It’s not like I am not still used to very sweet things… In moderation. My old favorite wine with its 20% sugar content is firmly in the past, even a few drops are impossible to enjoy I guess, I don’t want to try it again. I bought one with 11% sugar and it was like pure honey with some twist, it obviously tasted different but it felt just as horribly sugary the first time.
And I ate table sugar or honey with big spoonfuls as a kid, literally, sometimes… It’s a scary thought now.

oh yea, what I ate back in the day…heck most of my life til I hit lc was insanity when I look back. I so get that LOL

I used some minced garlic on frying up my steaks when I went carnivore before. I had to drop it. That 1/4 teaspoon of minced fresh garlic was SO sweet. I was shocked something so small could truly taste so sweet. Everything is way sweeter than one would think.

I remember hubby ordered a meal out and it came with whole green beans and he said those were the best darn green beans he ever ate in his life…I tried a nibble and I said instantly, those suckers are sugar loaded. He said no way. We got the waitress and asked how they are prepared and she said they shake a combo of sugar, spices and a little garlic butter on them. AH HA, I got hubby good on that one fast…I said everything is sugar out in the world ‘for taste’ and people lap it up like pavlov’s dogs…thing is I was one of those also…so I get it HA

Can confirm! :+1: Even broccoli and zuchinni fries tastes heavenly to me now. Grilled Zuchinni Fries now taste like sweet potato fries to me (which means I’ll probably find the later insanely sweet should I ever try it now).

I can definitely tell if something has sugar. I remember drinking something and spitting out while proclaiming in horror that it absolutely had sugar :joy:

Macadamia nuts just tastes like candy to me now…which doesn’t help giving that it’s already very moreish.

(Susan) #49

I find that not only are things really sweet tasting to me (I find cooked cauliflower is very sweet) but also all flavours are intensified.

A lot of foods also taste much more bitter or sour to me! I think our taste buds are just super sonic sensitive on Keto. I have never been a big lover of spices, and now I cannot tolerate them at all, by example.

(Anne) #50

I have been finding that my water tastes sweet. Not sure if that is normal ha ha but it truly does. Our water is not softened or anything. Just tastes sweet. :blush:

Garlic is sweetish, true but it’s still good, I can handle the usual tiny amount with my meat sometimes. (I am pretty sure meat is often sweetish too… But as I feel black coffee a bit sweet sometimes, I just accepted practically everything is sweet, period.)

Sugar on beens? People are so crazy, putting sugar on everything… I absolutely hate sugar on vegetables (despite my Mom actually did that and it somehow worked with lots of sour cream and vinegar. her lettuce soup was extreme, garlic AND sugar, I still can’t wrap my head around the fact it was good. once or twice in a lifetime, at least) and despite I dislike if my vegetables are too sweet, I can’t help but adore tender green peas and they are totally sweet. Whenever I went to some simple eatery in my past, I looked at the green pea dish and wanted the peas but for some insane reason, absolutely everyone but me and my mom used SUGAR in the dish that mostly contained green peas. It was so shocking even when I was still a high-carber eating sugary sweets. Sweet, tender green peas needs lots of salt to balance out their sweetness, adding sugar seemed a crime. They ruined my green peas (but they ruined it twice, no red pepper in it. unacceptable).

Sugar enhances flavor, they say (I just usually doesn’t notice). So people put it into everything.
But when I was a kid, there was sugar in things. Now there is sugar AND horrible tasting sweeteners in them. It’s good I almost never eat processed stuff since ages.

I almost never ate macadamia nuts but I ate huge amounts of peanuts in my life and they are quite sweet. I still was addicted to them until recently, I just added lots of salt (it was already salted but not enough for me. I add salt to too sweet things if it’s not some sweets. Vinegar too if it fits the food. For sweets, I use unsweetened chocolate or black coffee. Practically everything is salvageable.)

Sweet potatoes are interesting as I truly thought I will prefer the not very sweet kind. They are popular here now and one farmer has various kinds, very sweet (orange), less sweet (yellow) and almost not sweet at all (very pale yellow). All has some lovely flavor though, a bit like vanilla or more like some complex spice. The last one is nice as chips but I still prefer the sweetest kind in tiny amounts, not because it’s so sweet, it has a stronger flavor. I realized I can eat very sweet things, just in ridiculous amounts.

(Liz Ellen) #53

I used to add sugar to coconut curry pre-keto. Now coconut milk tastes so sweet to me. I can’t believe I ever thought it needed to be sweeter.