Is it just me or does everything taste sweeter?

(Mike Glasbrener) #21

Yup. I don’t eat any sweeteners and non leafy green veggies indeed taste sweet (bell peppers, cucumbers, celery, tomatoes etc…).

(Allie) #22

I made curry on Saturday and noticed how sweet the tomatoes made it taste

No question this is so. Green vegetables, unsweetened peanut butter…all have a slight pleasant sweetness.

We’re all finally experiencing how things REALLY taste. THANK YOU, KETO!

(Cheryl) #24

I didn’t know that. Nice!

Yes for sure. It comes in handy for assessing foods by taste and spotting sneaky carbs.

(Mike Glasbrener) #26

Spotting sneaky carbs… Absolutely! Especially when my SO makes “healthy” meals and unintentionally skips fats and adds hidden carbs.

(Khara) #27

Yep. A few months after going low carb/Keto I bought a tub of cottage cheese. It was something I used to eat before and was looking forward to the salty flavor. I took one bite and all I could taste was sugar. I read the label and it was one of those cottage cheeses that has 15 ingredients instead of 3 and the 7th one on the list was dextrose. I couldn’t believe it, both that it was in there and also that it made it so gackingly sweet. I threw it out. I like having discerning taste buds.

(Dave Linkston) #28

I read something sweet in your mouth causes an insulin response.

I walked past a cookie (Famous Amos) store last week after a 40 hour fast and the sweet smell was very strong. This might sound stupid, but can this cause an insulin response?

I don’t know about that but you start breaking down carbohydrates as soon as you put them in your mouth with the enzyme present - amylase.

I heard this on a podcast recently, too.

“Tasting sweet food elicits insulin release prior to increasing plasma glucose levels, known as cephalic phase insulin release (CPIR). The characteristic of CPIR is that plasma insulin secretion occurs before the rise of the plasma glucose level.”

(Cheryl Meyers) #31

I noticed the same thing too–but it was back when I first moved to Japan in the 1980s. I found everything the locals considered sweet was not sweet enough for my Canadian “butter tart” taste buds. Years later I had adapted and matcha and bean paste sweets began to taste really sweet while cakes and cookies from home were way too much.
Now on keto, everything is too sweet!

(Nick) #32

That is utterly untrue. For example, fructose is very sweet and doesn’t provoke insulin (it has other problems!)

Also, erythritol etc is shown in lab tests never to provoke insulin either.

(Solomom A) #33

That’s what I used to believe, but research have shown that beta cells of the pancreas have sweet receptors and affect insulin secretion. The BreakNutrition Guys discuss it at: http://breaknutrition.com/episode-20-sweet-sweet-insulin/. So 100gm of glucose + 100gm of fructose give higher insulin response than just 100gm of glucose.

(Nick) #34

But only if accompanied by glucose, which isn’t a problem for us lot usually :slight_smile:

Yup, your now actually getting the true taste of things. We don’t realize how desensitized we get to sweetness.

Yes, even Stevia is a nauseating sweet to me now, and I have only been on this lifestyle change since June 22nd

(Solomom A) #37

Very few do zero carb. Most zero carbers will avoid the fructose in the first place.

Remember, Stevia isn’t a 1:1 with sugar. I used to dos 3-4 tsp of sugar in my coffee. With Stevia it’s more like 3/4-1.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #39

When I first came to the US, I noticed that candy bars like Kit Kat were distinctly sweeter here to cater to the sugar-adapted American taste bud. Could be that hfcs is simply sweeter than sucrose.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #40

Yeah I notice the same thing especially with soft drinks. HFCS is definitely has a sweeter taste to me.