Is it just me or does everything taste sweeter?

(Ryan Tuttle) #1

It seems like my taste buds have become more sensitive to sweets now that im not eating sugars and carbs. What i mean is things that i would not have thought of as sweet now seem to be sweet like pecans or some other nuts and seeds.

Anyone else experience this?

(Anderson Herzogenrath Da Costa) #2

Same happened to me.
I now find 70% chocolate sweet. I always had sugar on my coffee, now my coffee must be black.

(Sophie) #3

I think it’s pretty common to readjust and become more sensitive to sweetness. If you want to blow your mind try a single strawberry or blueberry. lol

Avocado is sweet enough for me to satiate craving if I feel like eating something sweet. I can’t eat store bought banana anymore. I switch to wild blueberries for less sweetness and more fiber.

(Kathy L) #5

About one month in -went to my nephew’s graduation. Had some celery w/dip - & turned around & exclaimed to my sister -“wow! This celery is sweet!” It’s amazing how sweet things taste when you don’t eat sugar!

(Dave Linkston) #6

Even when eating a slice of fresh lemon I can taste a slight hint of sweetness, wife and work colleagues think I am mad.

(David) #7

My wenchie @Karo_Isst_Keto and I had a slab of erythritol-sweetened cake recently in a Keto cafe in Berlin.

By gods it was sweet and sickly.

(Sonia A.) #8

That’s nice that you have keto cafe in Germany. You’re way ahead of us French. That’s something that I’d love to see flourish here. Maybe in the future :blush:.

And yes, everything seems sweet since going keto. I love that because just one or two strawberries satisfy my sweet tooth. That’s great.

(Allie) #9

Normal from what I know as your taste buds adjust when they’re no longer used to that sugary sweetness, so everything else tastes sweeter.

(Doug) #10

Yes - it was standard full-sugar icing on a piece of cake, and WOW - “so sweet it makes your teeth hurt” did not cover it; it was almost unnatural, like the hammering taste of undiluted artificial sweetener.

(Jessika Nilsson) #11

The look on bartenders faces when I order a mojito without sugar, and they think it will be to sour for me… I find that the lime juice in it sweetens up the drink enough for my taste buds :wink: Or as one of the bartenders who made one said after he tried it, “It’s really refreshing!” :cocktail:
And I really enjoy dark chocolate nowadays, preferably a minimum of 85% :drooling_face:

In conclusion, going keto, and I guess even more if you usually don’t use sweeteners, will make you taste the sweetnes of regular food :smiley:

(Doug) #12

Right on, Jessika. Even with no sugar present, we perceive the fruit essence as a ‘sweet’ taste.

Totally. I had as Little as 3 blackberries the other day and it felt like eating gummy bears. Vegetables taste sweet to me now lol

(Ethan) #14

It’s very common. I make desserts for myself and have family members try it. Often the response from them is that, “it’s good–not sweet.” I find the desserts very sweet though.

The good news is, there are also sugar sensors in your stomach which have a large influence on your insulin and leptin reaction to food. So changes in sweetness taste could be related to healing in that regard.

(Teresa Driver) #16

That’s the best news I’ve had all day. I taste sweet in pretty much any vegetable matter now, and accidentally got hold of some sandwich dressing being presented as mayo that was so sweet it gagged me. I was afraid the increased sensing of sweet was going to keep my insulin high, so this is a thing of beauty.

(Nick) #17

Yes! I was dicing some carrots and ate a slice. It tastes as sweet as an apple to me. Even plain raw cabbage tastes sweet to me, as do macadamia nuts.

Talking of tasting like apples: I ate a small crab-apple the other day. I was warned it would be “inedible”, but it tasted nice and tangy to my palate.

And I don’t think this is merely avoiding sweet tastes. I make custards with erythritol, for example, so sweetness per-se is not a stranger to my palate; but I think there’s something specific about fructose here - when you cut it drastically from your diet (or sucrose), then your taste-buds become especially and specifically sensitive to it.

It is one of protective by-products of following a keto woe. As we become more sensitive to the natural sweetness in foods, processed food become too sweet and less appealing.

(Jodi) #19

Smell gets me, I can smell the candy aisle in a store from a distance. I can’t even…:nauseated_face: the bread aisle smells like mold.

(Sophie) #20

I noticed this too walking past the monster decorated cookie place at the mall. Seriously Yuck!