Is it common to get kicked out of ketosis with a cold/infection?

(Kristen Ann) #1

I’ve been dealing with a cold-turned-eye-and-ear-infection for several very miserable days. I haven’t been in ketosis for 3 days now. Haven’t changed what I’m eating, but eating less due to less appetite. Is this a common phenomenon? Not worried at all, just curious if this is something I should expect every time I get sick. Also, meds could have carbs, but with as little as I’m eating I can’t imagine I would be going over my limit…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

How are you measuring your ketones? If it’s urine strips, don’t worry about it. If blood, that would probably be more accurate, but still don’t worry about it. The one thing I’d be concerned about is carbs in cough syrup, or whatever. A lot of medicines contain sugar to hide the nasty taste. And if the medicine is sugar-free, some artificial sweeteners can cause insulin to rise in some people—possibly enough to inhibit ketosis in your case—according to people’s experience on these forums.

If your carbohydrate intake is still low, however, you are probably producing ketones and just matching output to need better. (You may be using more ketones, for energy to fight off the infection.)

The old saying, “Feed a cold and starve a fever,” is not advice, but rather a description of what goes on. If your body temperature is up as part of your fight against the infection, that would inhibit your appetite.

In any case, just relax, take your medicine, and get well. The best thing you can do for yourself right now is to keep calm and keto on. Once you are better, you’ll be able to get back on track with your ketones and everything. Feel better soon!

(Kristen Ann) #3

Good point. I was also thinking maybe cortisol was inhibiting ketosis?

Yes I use the strips, but since eating carnivore on most days (past couple of months) I always test positive on them except mornings. I know they aren’t reliable but it has been consistent for me.

That’s interesting, didn’t know that. Yes, fever on and off and I’m forcing myself to eat when taking large dose of antibiotics.

Not worried so much as wondering why. Thanks for the input.

Thanks Paul.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

That’s another possibility.

But also, since you mention using strips, don’t forget that the reading they give you also depends on how hydrated you are. It wouldn’t be surprising that your hydration is out of whack for the duration.

Furthermore, I know illness stresses the body, so that’s bound to have an effect, though by what mechanisms I could only guess (in addition to cortisol, I mean). I don’t kown if @carolT is on the forums right now (she’s got a lot going on), but she knows a lot about this stuff. Perhaps, if she has a moment to spare, she might wander by and post an insight or two.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #5

I thought it was the other way around…not that its advice, as you said.

(Jill F.) #6

I have been sick with stomach bug and ate crackers and soup today, 1st time in almost 9 months. Unsure if it helped but nothing keto sounded good. I am not stressed about it though I am sure I will get back on track tomorrow when my stomach feels better. Get well soon!

(Cristian Lopez) #7

I think a clear analogy can be made by saying “feed a cold” like adding fire wood to a camp fire and “starve a fever” like removing fuel from the camp fire. Clearly the most unprofessional thing I’ve ever said in my life as health advice but it sure sounds nice! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

Kristen this is what I found. Basically a fever or cold are an infection and pretty much should be delt with the same way. A fever will often suppress appetite but you actually need some nutrition source while sick.

“As with other types of infections, individuals with less robust immune systems (such as very young children, the elderly, and people with co-existing illnesses like diabetes, cancer, or immune disease) may suffer more serious colds and infections by an inadequate intake of high-quality calories in the early stages of an infection. And the body requires additional fluids above the norm in the presence of illness, including colds or flu.”

The starve a cold, feed a fever is from the 1500s and not rooted in real medical knowledge but erroneous logic.

I hope you feel better fast. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #9

I wouldn’t be at all surprised, @kaclp

Some time ago I had a humdinger of a kidney infection and was very poorly for three months.

I’m type 1 diabetic using an insulin pump, and my insulin requirement during a lot of my illness was up to 180% of my normal basal dose - nearly twice as much! - just to keep my blood glucose under control.

I would therefore think that in a non-diabetic person who is suffering an infection the demand for insulin would also be greater.

That would I am sure have a negative impact on fat burning and therefore keto production.

I find if I have a cold, I don’t need more insulin than normal. A bacterial infection, however, wrecks any kind of decent blood glucose control unless I turn up the tap on my pump.

I hope you feel much better soon! I would expect normality to resume once you’ve kicked the bug into touch.

(mole person) #10

I’m exactly the same. High fat/Keto-carnivore gives me excellent ketone control. I pee purple daily at my 5 pm reading (I too am negative earlier in the day).

I know they get a lot of hate here but I love the urine strips. There is no easier way to monitor the effects my lifestyle and food choices are having on my metabolic state. I’m certain blood readings do give a lot more precision but that doesn’t make the urine strips useless at all. In fact I’ve found them so satisfactory that after 2.5 years on keto I still don’t use anything else and I’m a tracking addict.

This is super interesting!

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #11

I had a cold or something recently, and yeah, I was kicked out from taking it meds. Sugar and other sweeteners are added to a lot of medications. I took them to feel even slightly not like death, kept eating right, and went back into ketosis without any trouble after I could stop taking the cold meds.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #12

Get well soon ! :slight_smile:

(Susan) #13

Maye taking pill forms of medications is better then liquid forms for adding things like sugar. I know Neo Citron and cough syrups have sugars and other additives.