Is Faster’s High a thing?

(Omar) #61

I think this is how prophets talk to God. :grin:

(Sierra) #62

Yes, it is a thing. One type of ketone body is beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB), almost identical in structure to gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB, the “date rape” drug which is described as being similar in effect to molly or ecstasy) which would explain the feelings of euphoria with a fasting high.

More in-depth medical hypothesis here:

(Alec) #63

Wow! Well that kinda provides some level of support to the idea by suggesting the pathways! But no formal research.

(Jane) #64

Who would fund this research? Can’t make money off people not eating and no drugs to develop.

A few years ago I read a great article on fasting - lots of stories of it helping with a myriad of health concerns and even some explanation of the mechanisms - but the last sentence was something along the lines of “Since it’s known that fasting isn’t safe, researchers are looking into a drug that can imitate some of the great effects.” :woman_facepalming:

(Doug) #66

Cool, Sierra, that’s interesting - never thought of that but yeah, such a similar chemical. :slightly_smiling_face:

What I wonder about is the non-constancy of the feelings, i.e. my own experience is that when I’m several days into a fast and thus surely running on ketones, the euphoria (if any) appears sparsely and without regularity.

I could see an initial “rush” of good feeling as the body ramped up fat-burning and ketone production, but would suspect that some desensitization would then occur and the effect would be muted. For me that does not happen - it’s truly haphazard, maybe it appears, maybe not, and later episodes during a fast are as good or better than earlier ones.

Not too worried about it - I’m really sold on fasting and the benefits it provides. Personally, getting enough sleep makes a huge difference - and I’m foolish for not doing it more.

I think there are times when, after a lifetime of dealing with too much food, too many carbohydrates, additives, refined and processed junk, a fast gets me to a place where things (for once) are really working the way they are supposed to. Ketones, endorphins, adrenaline, etc., may well be playing a part too - I picture multiple cycles at work, occasionally rising to the top together and then that great feeling comes upon me. It’s then that I wonder if this is what it felt like to live thousands of years ago.