Is Faster’s High a thing?

(karen) #41

To add, I’m throwing that out there because I will be doing 2 TMAD days in a row and then an ADF or maybe a 2 day fast during the days after because I’ll be by myself, so I’m not going to be the best metric for ADF.

Day 1 I do feel pretty hungry & it’s a pain cooking for others, but I quite enjoy the challenge of cooking for others after day 1, maybe it’s partly the day 2 or 3 high! I’ve 2 nearly grown up lads, who work hard, & funny hours, so end up doing often meals from 4pm- 9pm, plus baking for them, so I think I do need a halo ! :angel: I don’t work full time, so I do see cooking & looking after them as my job…

(Allie) #43

We work opposite hours so rarely eat together, it works. He doesn’t even know I do IF let alone EF, actually he can’t even understand why I’m keto… but he accepts it. If we do eat together then it’ll be something I’ve cooked and he’s happy to eat whatever I put in front of him.

(Sarah Slancauskas) #44

Thank you for this useful framework! I’m going to follow this as you’ve laid it out and will let you know how I get on. I’m going to start tomorrow! I must be crazy to feel excited to start a fast :joy:

(Alec) #45

Sarah
I started fasting 2 days per week a year ago well before I knew anything about keto. I didn’t understand the science, I was just folllowing Michael Mosley’s 5:2 diet.

It worked really well for me, but I was not fat adapted at first (I had no idea what that was!) and I can tell you it was pretty tough. I got through the first few evenings of fast days by simply toughing it out. But I was hungry and had headaches. I went cold turkey into it, and from my experience I wouldn’t recommend it.

Much better to learn how to fast gently via the method I described. It is essentially teaching your body how to fast.

Good luck!!
Cheers
Alec

(LeeAnn Brooks) #46

Is BPC allowed while EF?

(Alec) #47

LeeAnn
There are different flavours of fasting, so it is a matter of personal preference, and what you are trying to achieve.

BPC has fat, right, so therefore it is ok if your goal is to reduce insulin load. It is essentially like eating a fat bomb during a “fast”. To the purist, this is not a fast, as you can’t eat calories on a strict fast. However, I come from the school of thought that close enough is good enough, so BPC during a fast, no dramas.

However, if your goal for that fast was autophagy, I would say the general view of the experts is that any calories (including fat calories) will prevent autophagy, hence a BPC would be out.
Cheers
Alec

(LeeAnn Brooks) #48

Do you think it would be a good way to ease into EF?

(Alec) #49

LeeAnn
Better than going cold turkey into it, but probably worse than easing into it by increasing meals missed over time. Depends on how much of a hurry you are in (we shouldn’t be, right?), and how fat adapted you are.

But definitely worth trying to see if you feel good with the BPC. It is important to feel at least comfortable (if not really good) during a fast. If you are feeling shitty, you need to ease into it more gently.
Cheers
Alec

(LeeAnn Brooks) #50

Thanks. I don’t think I’m there yet. Today is my second OMAD. I like the idea of doing one or two of these a week while sticking to 16:8 or 18:6 the rest of the week. Maybe in a few weeks I’ll try for a 24 hour fast, but not yet. Just trying to clear up some confusion on things.

I think no matter how much I try to prepare and learn ahead of time, it’s going to be one of those things that you just don’t get it until you try it.

(Alec) #51

LeeAnn
Absolutely. And don’t be in a hurry, just not necessary. Take your time. We have the rest of our lives to get this right!
Cheers
Alec

(Raj Seth) #52

I agree that it is probably more N=1 than anything else. I would definitely recommend reading Jason Fung’s Blog on this - he has over 20 fasting posts, and also his book, where all the info is concisely presented.
I now have considerable faith in my “fasting muscle”. My fasting journey started after I was well fat adapted. I first tried a 36 hour fast. I went in with considerable trepidation. I had certainly given in to the brainwashing about fasting. I was at home, ready for weakness and lethargy and hunger. I had tubs of broth (Kirkland, of course) and I probably had a mug of broth with me at all times, and I probably had a gallon of broth that day.
Was it a true fast? nope. Autophagy - nope. Lethargy, weakness, hunger - nope, nope and nope!
At the end of the day, I finished my first fast with a great feeling of success.
A week later, I made it a 3 day. This time with home made bone broth, with the fat skimmed off - so fewer calories. I only had couple quarts over the 3 days, and I drank water, sucked on salt crystals, and drank diet pepsi. I felt fantastic again.
From then on I was off to the races. I was so confident, I did the next as a 6 day a week later while at work.

I consider myself fortunate that fasting fit me well. YMMV. The moral of the story, per Fung/Ramos, is that use whatever support you need to start your fasting journey. “Progress, not perfection”. As you work your fasting muscle, it will tell you what it needs.

Yes, it gets easier
Yes, it feels great
Yes, it turbocharges your keto transformation

KCKO KCFO

(Robert William Gurry) #53

I have got to try this. I recall certain periods in my past, I wasn’t consciously trying to fast or anything, but sometimes due to the immersion in the flow of work I enjoyed, I just didn’t eat much for a day or two. And it felt good.

I’m sometimes hypomanic anyway (not nearly enough!), so this would be a boon, and frankly, a significant reason to try ketogenic dieting, which as yet I have not…but am considering if I think I can commit to it enough and work into the stupefying priorities of a chaotic life.

(Robert William Gurry) #54

I meant to put this here.

I have got to try this. I recall certain periods in my past, I wasn’t consciously trying to fast or anything, but sometimes due to the immersion in the flow of work I enjoyed, I just didn’t eat much for a day or two. And it felt good.

I’m sometimes hypomanic anyway (not nearly enough!), so this would be a boon, and frankly, a significant reason to try ketogenic dieting, which as yet I have not…but am considering if I think I can commit to it enough and work into the stupefying priorities of a chaotic life.

(Marfi) #55

For me it was more of a “mania” than a “high”. I felt GREAT, but found it really hard to do my morning meditation because I just couldn’t quieten my mind.

My theory is that the brain is flooded with feel-good hormones maybe to take your mind off the fact that there may not be any food around for a while.

(Rose) #56

Yes, I can confirm that the faster’s high is definitely a thing. I really hope this isn’t triggering to anyone but I was anorexic/bulimic for most of my teens and 20s, and after a few days of starvation, it becomes super easy to not eat. You don’t even think about food or feel hungry. I always thought it might be due to the positive feedback of seeing and feeling yourself getting skinnier, and/or actual endorphins being released from the body being in starvation mode.
I haven’t started doing any fasting on keto diet, it’s not wise for me to go down that road!! I just eat whenever I feel hungry :slight_smile:

(Alec) #57

Rose
Given your history, I think you are very wise. Fasting can be very advanced stuff for some folks, and for some it may always be a step too far. Make sure you always keep your wise head on.
Cheers
Alec

(Rose) #58

Thank you Alec! :slight_smile:

(Keto T) #59

After a a year of Keto,if, and most recently extended fast, I lost 100 pounds. At my most recent appointment my doctor was pleased with my weight and told me to not lose anymore. I never thought I would hear that! I am navigating the balance of doing extended fasts for the benefit of autophagy which I hope decreases loose skin. My main reason for fasting is mental clarity and energy. I feel fantastic when fasting!
I definitely get “fasting high” and a really peaceful feeling in my stomach. I am not sure how to describe it.

(Tina) #60

have you considered joining Jason Fungs IDM Group? there’s a monthly fee, but you can do a free 30 day trial and see if it’s for you