Is Faster’s High a thing?

(Alec) #1

For me, fasting creates a huge sense of euphoria, and it is getting stronger the longer I fast (2 days per week).

Is Faster’s High a thing? If so, what’s the science here?
Cheers
Alec

November 2023 IF/EF Fasting Chat Thread - All Welcome
Attempting a 24 hour fast
(karen) #2

Lucky you! I’ve heard it is. For me, it’s mostly happy dance time when I Stop fasting, I’m looking forward to Faster’s High at some point down the keto road! I came across this:

“In periods of starvation (also extreme crash dieting and bulimia) endorphins are released to relieve pain and this in itself can become addictive.”

No idea if that’s actually true, they make faster’s high sound like a bad thing rather than a nice side benefit. I don’t know … maybe I have to experience more pain? I find fasting to be just like any other day.

(Alec) #3

Karen
It is strange, for the past couple of weeks at the end of my fasts, I am not sure I want to stop the fast. I don’t feel that hungry, and I feel euphoric, as I said.

However, I usually stick to the plan and end the fast when I planned to. Not sure whether that’s a good strategy or not.

I think part of me just wants the euphoria to continue, I am getting addicted to it! I always look forward to my fast days.

Today, I did break my fast as planned, but have decided to do ADF this week instead of going longer on my current 36hr fast. We’ll see if that goes well.
Cheers
Alec

(karen) #4

I’ve just started trying ADF. The one issue I had is that day 1 of a fast is the hardest for me - it’s an interruption, I’m still thinking about food and so on. I fasted about 40 hours (dinner on Saturday, fasted Sunday and back on my IF schedule with lunch today). I found that by lunch I was no longer thinking about food and just fine with continuing to fast, but it was “time” to stop so I did. Not sure how well every other day is going to work or if I’m just going to be constantly in upheaval. But KCKO, right?

(Robert C) #5

Faster’s high

I do not think “Faster’s High” is a thing.
Just because fasting is not a substance you can get high from.

But, I do think “Zero calorie intake” causes many primal adaptations to emerge:

• Hyper-vigilance (where is my next meal?)
  • Ketone production (burn my fat stores to make it easier to hunt)
  • Growth hormone production (burn stored fat instead of the muscle needed to hunt)

Honestly - day 3 and 4 of a longer term fast feel really good.
Late day 1 and day 2 suck.
Days 7 plus start to feel like diminishing returns.

(icky) #6

OMG YES IT IS

It’s incredible!

I get this every time I do an extended fast.

I don’t know the science behind it but yeah, it feels like euphoria, or what people with Biploar Disorder describe as hypomania (i.e. mania, but not full-blown, just enough so it feels euphoric)

I adoooooooooore fasting highs :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I swear, if anyone could take whate ever body chemistry leads to fasting highs and turn it into a pill, they’d be a multi billionaire!!

(icky) #7

I’ve been part of a forum just dedicated to extended fasting for 10 years now and sooooo many ppl describe this.

During a fast, most of us at that forum usually start doing a major spring clean of the house, etc…

The energy is simply incredible

(Alec) #8

Icky
I don’t want to jump the keto forums ship, but which fasting forums were those? I am interested in joining. Sounds very interesting.
Cheers
Alec

(Alec) #9

This used to be true for me as well, but recently, I am getting the high at 36hrs. Just when I plan to stop my fast! Hmmm… time to think a bit.

(icky) #10

Hey Alec :smile:

I’m bilingual and the fasting forum I’m in is a non-English speaking one.

Dunno if that’s any good to you? :blush:

I’m sure there’s some good English language forums dedicated to the experience of extended fasting.

You certainly get true experts there who know fasting like the back of their hand and then some - just like everyone here has amazing knowledge about Keto.

(I can PM you the link tho…?)

(Alec) #11

Icky
Alas, I am mono-lingual! :cry:. But thanks for the offer. I will go trawl for some fasting forums.
Cheers
Alec

(icky) #12

I have always continued my fasts for as long as my body has said “yay”

My longest fast to date was 3 and a half weeks.

My body definitely calmly and politely tells me “It’s enough now thanks” when it’s time to stop.

As long as you’re not “pushing yourself” or determined to reach some goal of X days or X weeks and therefore refusing to listen to your body saying “It’s enough now thank you” then you’ll be able to hear it.

For extended fasts it’s really important to clear your gut. Find a laxative that works for you. You don’t want digested food sitting in your gut for days or weeks.

Clearing your gut also signals your digestive tract that there is NO food available and that you are fasting, which helps you get into fasting highs, so it’s beneficial from that point of view too.

(icky) #13

I think it’s probably more related to “runner’s high”.

Also people who do extreme sports (sky diving etc) can get literally addicted to the body chemistry of their endorphins.

(Alec) #14

Karen
I think that the upheaval is part of the mechanism here. It doesn’t make it easy, but keeping your body guessing I think is good. I am currently on a plateau and trying different things to shake things up.
Cheers
A

(icky) #15

Well, then you have NEVER experienced it :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Fasting forums are full of people who have :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

(Robert C) #16

I have had the feeling of feeling very well at 36 to 96 hours away from having calories.
I was just trying to indicate it is not a substance high (as so many companies would like you to believe).

(icky) #17

Btw, gambling addiction or PC gaming addiction is real even tho it’s not a “substance” either.
Those people are getting addicted to their own endorphins that the brain releases due to a specific trigger (gambling/ gaming).

(Alec) #18

Icky
You read my mind, I am a runner, and I definitely get runners high, and I would say Faster’s high is similar to that feeling. However, for me, it is not as intense as runners high but it is prolonged, it just goes on and on, whereas my runners high lasts for an hour and then diminishes quickly.
Cheers
A

(icky) #19

I’ve never tried cocaine or heroin, but fasting high is the closest I’ve ever felt to that (but it feels healthy, not unhealthy).

It’s your own body’s chemicals.

Drugs/ substance are just chemicals that dock onto your brains receptors for your body chemistry.

Drugs/ substances just MIMICK your body chemistry of endorphins etc.

This is pretty easy to research, if you are interested.

(karen) #20

Well, I’ve never had a runner’s high either, I hated every M***F***ing step of it. Lol. But I can get high from the right music (the same song over and over and it just gets more delicious), like ridiculous euphoric clean out the garage high. So maybe there’s hope for my endorphins yet.