Is dietician full of it?

(Buffy) #1

Today, 3 weeks ago, I started my keto journey. I have had some struggles, but am in love with this lifestyle. At the urging of my family, since i am a cancer patient, in treatment, I met with the dietician for my oncologist’s group. When I told her I was eating keto, she’s said it had great short term benefits, but in the long term, it was disastrous for hormones & people gained all the weight back + some, then weren’t able to lose it.
I’ve lost 17lbs. I have more drive, energy, focus. My joint & chronic pain are improving. Headaches are vasdtly improved.
Her recommendation : 100g of carb
125g of protein
Fat to satisfy
So her breakdown: 1-2 protein per meal
1-2 veg per meal
0-1 fruit & starches per meal
Don’t use dairy (she never explained or quantified)
Drink a protein shake with my keto coffee in the morning
Work up to eating 5-6 meals per day (I’m not hungry because my
metabolism isn’t firing, as per her)
And the coup de gras: I won’t lose any weight until my thyroid gets regulated. I just started back on the med this weekend. Note: prior to the start, I have dropped 17lbs. I feel like I have entered a fun house maze! She honestly considered this as modified keto diet. Do :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: ¿what?
One last thing: I am reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney & Volk. Any further reading in an academic vein is always welcome!

(TJ Borden) #2

The Obesity Code by Jason Fung. Also check out the 2ketodudes podcast. There a couple episodes that deal with keto and fasting for cancer treatment.

Probably worth doing some searches within the forum also. I know there are others here that are battling cancer that might be able to provide more insight and/or support.

(Buffy) #3

Thanks for responding. Already follow the Dudes. And the Obesity podcast. Have found the cancer forum, too. Will check out Dr Fung’sbook!

(KetoCowboy) #4

100 grams carb/day is a heck of a “modification” of keto.
I think dietitians have software installed on their computers that prevents them from reading anything related to insulin.

(Buffy) #5

Kind of what I was thinking. She prefaced the 100g of carbs statement with, "I’d like to see you be not quite as strict with your carbs. " so, I’m thinking, "What, 40-50g? " Then she drops that hot mess! Lol

(Candy Lind) #6

KCKO. IIRC, eliminating carbs starves the cancer cells, according to recent research.

Article 1

Article 2

3rd article with citations

Maybe you should also be reading the carnivore topics! You’ll have science backing you. Won’t THAT drive the nutritionist over the edge?? :sunglasses:

(Samantha J Ross) #7

I find that odd because my mom’s doctor told her to get on a ketogenic diet since she was precancerous. And I’ve heard this diet is great for preventing cancer and for cancer patients. I would KCKO and find another dietician. Even if it isn’t a permanent solution for you, doesn’t mean you have to give it up immediately.

Watch the movie The Magic Pill, I found it on Amazon Video. It has a pretty profound testimonial, although it is light on the scientific studies. I still found it a good movie.

(Chris) #9

Food for thought: dieticians won’t make money if everyone gets healthy on their own.

(Karen) #10

What’s with the protein shake? Is she selling them? Shouldn’t an egg breakfast do the trick too?

K

Not every cancer responds well to cutting out sugar, there is a list somewhere but most do, there are some that are not sugar dependent but most are. It is considered an adjunct to therapy to fast or do low carb. Fung in his blog IntensiveDietaryManagement has a whole series on cancer.

Moderate carb as a diet will not satisfy your hunger in the same way as keto or LC. Your insulin will spike each time you eat and you will not lose weight. Same with eating often. In the presence of carbohydrate too much fat is not healthy. In the absence of carbs it is much better. Your dietician is not doing you any favors. She means well I think.

As for regaining, the world is full of people who did Atkins for 6 months and then went off and regained. This is something you need to commit to as a permanent way of eating, not temporary

(Jay Patten) #12

Ask your dietician what his or her success rate is. Be sure to ask him or her if they have cured (reversed) any of their diabetic patients. Then ask them if being ketogenic is better or worse than being diabetic, overweight any laying on an operating table getting your foot amputated. Make them squirm. YOU are your best advocate.

100 g of carbs?!
weight re-gain and hormone dysfunction typical on keto?
Short answer: yes, she’s full of it!

Great! Congratulations and good luck to you!

(Ethan) #14

I’d ask her to show you the studies where people lost weight on a ketogenic diet and gained it back plus more all while STILL ON A KETOGENIC DIET. I don’t doubt that stopping the ketogenic diet will result in weight gain for many, and certainly any diabetics will gain a lot of the weight back when off keto.

(Chris) #15

To add to this, the Obesity Code podcast has tackled cancer in a few episodes, a recent one starring “Derrick” was especially enlightening. Not only did it go over the possible benefits of keto and fasting, but also was sure to dispel any myths that chemo and radiation may not be necessary, they were careful to state that many if not most cases still require medication or surgery, but still brought out the benefits this type of eating can have.

(Melanie Armistead) #16

You’ll probably find this podcast interesting.

Dom D’Agostino is researching metabolic therapies as adjunct treatments (in combination with standard treatment) for cancer. He’s found that cancer cells have abnormal mitochondria and generally won’t grow in the presence of ketones - and also that a hyperbaric chamber can kill cancer cells.

(Sarah ) #17

This doesn’t make sense , in terms of how keto actually works; a low carb diet (what she is suggesting) isn’t the same as keto. To be in ketosis, and get the magic, you have to really restrict carbs, there’s no gray area. At all. Calling a low carb diet “modified keto” is like calling a motorcycle a modified car or something, it makes no sense. Her recommendations may fit a healthy diet, according to her training, but she’s just making stuff up if she’s trying to compare her plan to how keto works.

(Buffy) #18

Thank you for all of the replies! What an outpouring! Will definitely check out out what had been suggested by the Forum folks. I tend to trust you more than her ast this point. She obviously bass her agenda. And it doesn’t seem to be my best interest. I sure she thinks she is doing well. I won’t be back to her. The things she suggested were flying squarely in the face of all I had learned. Glad to have you guys&gals!

(Sarah Bruhn) #19

I have noticed that in research literature there are two types of ketogenic diet popping up, the “very low calorie ketogenic diet” which is basically severe calorie restriction and often involves those shake diets obese people are tortured with and the actual ketogenic diet. My suspicion is that health professionals don’t understand the difference, somewhat like the confusion about ketoacidosis and ketosis. I’d be tempted to hand her a stack of studies in refute, but i’m odd like that.

(Rob) #20

If they aren’t given a diet plan from a recognized top tier clinic or university, it doesn’t exist for most doctors.
There is a reason that doctors and lawyers will be the first to be replaced by AI since both are little more than human rules engines. If they were all like Gregory House and had more than 10-15mins per patient visit, maybe we’d need them but most are just authorization vehicles for pills.

Nurses… we’ll still need for a long time. Have you seen those janky robots that can barely open a door let alone draw blood and soothe frazzled nerves. :woman_health_worker: :+1: