Is Costco a Good Investment? And progress report ... and freezers

(Jon) #1

I’ve been considering a Costco membership since near the time I started my keto journey, though with the pandemic, I decided to hold off for a bit until things hopefully got ‘somewhat’ back to normal. So I suppose my biggest question is, does Costco have good enough prices on a wide enough variety of products to make it worth a membership in comparison to shopping Walmart/Aldi/Amazon?

Right now I get a lot of my staples from Amazon (and some of the meat specials are pretty decent … you just can’t depend on them being around when you want them), some of my products from Walmart (the almond flour seems fairly decent), and order my sweeteners through amazon for decent sizes at decent prices. I know the whole idea behind Costco would be buying larger quantities to get lower prices, but is there enough to make it worth the yearly membership fee (especially for an individual, as opposed to a family)?

Secondly, a progress report. In four months on keto I have lost 75 pounds (only a third of the total I need to lose), and I’m still going strong, though as to be expected, things have been slowing down. My first month I lost 30 pounds, my second month, 20, my third, 15, and my fourth 10. I’m hoping to stay at 10 pounds a month for a while, as that seems like it ought to be fairly reasonable and achievable.

Finally, anyone know a good place to get an inexpensive chest freezer, currently? Walmart lists 4 or 5 in the 5-7 cubic foot range for what I consider a doable price ($150-$200), but they’ve all been listed as out of stock for months. Everywhere else I look, the prices are double to triple that, and outside of what I feel I can reasonably budget, but if I want to shop at places like Costco, I need some freezer storage space!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

10 pounds per month long term is phenomenal and probably won’t last either. 1-2 pounds per week is more realistic.

I work at Walmart in Vancouver, Canada. In Canada, you can order anything online and have it delivered to your nearest convenient store for pickup. That’s how you avoid ‘out of stock’ at the store. I presume the same service is available in the USA.

(Jon) #3

It’s the online that has been out of stock for months. I try to avoid going into Walmart, especially now.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

Bummer. I’m sorry that’s the case. For the first couple months or so, the Walmart where I work had a tough time keeping certain items in stock, like toilet paper (who knew toilet paper prevents/cures COVID-19?). Then it was hand sanitizer and bleach wipes. But the store stays well stocked now, and has been since the beginning of June. To my knowledge there were never any appliances out of stock. So maybe Canada and/or Vancouver specifically wasn’t drained of inventory to the extent of other areas.