Irregular period even on birth control!

(Elisa) #1

I started Keto about 6 weeks ago and have been doing great. I’ve also been on birth control for 15+ years without any issues. On birth control my period was always light with very few pms symptoms. Now, 6 weeks into Keto, I got my period about 4 days before I’m done with my active pills. I had horrible cramps all week leading up to my period and it is significantly heavier than it has ever been. Has anyone had similar experiences? Does this even out after time? I also was reading that for some people their birth control became less effective. That really scares me. Can anyone weigh in on that as well??

Thanks!

(Janelle) #2

If you do a search,you’ll find that a lot of women experience this due to a change in how your body handles hormones with more fat and less glucose. I’ve heard that some women go keto for fertility. It’s also a double edged sword if you’re not trying for a family (at least at first).

This was an interesting article.

(Kristen Ann) #3

Hi Elisa, this is super common. I haven’t been regular on b.c. since starting 14 weeks ago. I believe it has to do with the release of estrogen from stored fat cells. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. Like @CatGirl said, if you do a search a lot of threads come up where you might find useful information.

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #4

Hello. As far as birth control I cannot comment on that as my tubes are tied. However I started Keto day one of my period hoping that maybe things would regulate better. It lasted 3 days longer then usual but the following month everything was back to normal with the next cycle.