Iron bread. Zero carb, mineral-filled loaf made from stuff you normally throw away!

bread
calcium
bone
loaf

(Steak and iron) #1

Hey everyone, this has been making its rounds on twitter and reddit so I figured it was a good idea to post it here as many of you prefer to stay away from those places.

I recently made bone broth in my instant pot from the scraps of two whole chickens. I used the organs, skin, and bones including spine which I pressure cooked for two hours. When the broth was strained off I had a pile of leftovers, mostly bones, and I discovered that the process made the bones soft and crumbly, edible, and delicious! Because food is a bit more of a hot commodity now, I have been focusing on eliminating as much waste as possible and using everything that I possibly could. I had intended on saving them to sprinkle on top of other food to add a bit of crunch but I decided to get wild. I would bake this into a loaf of meat and minerals and pray to the keto gods to see what would happen. The result was, frankly, delicious and effectively free because you were probably going to throw this all away anyway!

So here is the method

Strip two whole ~4 pound chickens of meat, reserving giblets skin and bones. Chicken meat yield is 58% of total whole chicken weight, so 8 pounds of chicken probably gave me around 4.5 pounds of meat and 3.5 pounds of scraps. Put these scraps into a pressure cooker and cook on high for two hours. Drain the bone broth for use later. Roast or air fry these scraps until mostly dry, I used an air fryer on 400f for 20 minutes and that got it to a good level. Dump this mixture into a high powered blender or food processor (I have a vitamix 5200, worked great) and process until completely uniform. Add one tablespoon of baking powder, four eggs and mix until even. Transfer to a half-loaf sized pan and bake at 400f for 40-45 minutes or until you reach an internal temperature of 200f. Allow to cool, slice and serve

FAQ

What is the texture like?

It’s hearty but crumbly with a grainy quality. I’d say it’s most similar to a whole grain rye quickbread.

How does it taste?

If you like the taste of chicken you’ll love this. All the bone marrow gives it a VERY rich roasted chicken flavor!

Does it toast?

Not even a little bit lol.

How do you eat it?

I’ve been cutting off slices and eating it lightly warmed with a high fat spread like butter or bacon fat.

Is there anything you would change about the recipe?

5 or 6 eggs may improve the texture a bit but i’m not complaining with the way it turned out and at least around me eggs are currently hard to come by so I’m being stingy with them. I may try adding other flavors to it in the future such as rosemary and thyme.