Introducing myself & asking a question re- Low Blood Glucose

(Ann Taylor) #1

I’m a grandmother of 67yrs young and been T2d for 6years. 5yrs ago got rid of sugar and ultra-processed food couldn’t understand why I couldn’t get my HbA1c more under control was on 9 medications and so ill and depressed. Eventually I discovered Carbohydrates and the damage they do, the trail then led to LCHF and hey presto I found the KEY and what a key it as been. Off med’s completely, BP is normal and health issues eventually one by one have either disappeared altogether or greatly reduced. Now I am at the point where I need a community of like minded people as everyone else in my family and Dr think I’m bonkers! I don’t care, my inflammation has gone! I exercise four times a week, fast 8-8am and through to 12pm 4 days a week. My blood glucose though has give me a bit of a scare yet I don’t feel ill, quite a few times the last week it has been 3.4 & 3.8 Ketone’s are in the range of 1.5 - 3 My meter tells me Blood G. is low but in ketosis is it?
Anyone any ideas to throw my way

(Duane) #2

I’m not one to talk about low Blood glucose (lowest I’ve managed so far is 4.4) but what an awesome story Ann!!!
Well done with it all.
I am yet to introduce the ketogenic ways to my parents but being in their mid 70’s with high cholestorol,sugar, blood pressure,early signs of Alzheimers etc etc I think they would definitely have similar benifits…
Again, well done!!!

(Ann Taylor) #3

Thank you Duane It has been a long hard road but so worth it! It took me quite some time to realise what things were wrong with my diet and it has been a step at a time. One of the first thing I did was get rid of all processed food that was hard but what a difference it makes I had no idea the damage Vegetable oils do to the body plus there so much misinformation out there it takes time to hookup with those who know what they are talking about and you have to gleam from them and read. So sorry you have to see your parents that way it really pulls at the heart strings doesn’t it? Take heart though and be encouraged there are things that can be done. :wink:

(Consensus is Politics) #4

You’ve landed at a great site. The 2 Keto dudes, this forum, and the (dare I say thousands) of members here, are truly an endless font of knowledge. Even when the occasional internet troll shows up, it can prove to be beneficial. Asking questions that force you to think a little harder, and prove your science. This way of eating (I hate the acronym) is based on science, not the belief that it’s good for you. It’s. It based on scientific consensus, it’s based on facts. It’s a hard pill to swallow when you’ve lived a life in the matrix. But once you’ve seen the truth, you want more. And it’s and endless journey of learning it seems. I don’t think a day goes by (ok, maybe a few days at a time) that I don’t learn something I didn’t know about diet, exercise, calories, blood sugar, stress, hormones, insulin, etc… etc… etcetterra!

(Darlene Horsley) #5

Yeeeaaay Ann! I am sure someone with more knowledge than I will jump on here regarding the low blood sugar issue. Just wanted to congratulate you and give you a warm welcome. You are an inspiration!

(bulkbiker) #6

Were those levels when fasting? I usually only get to the 3’s on the third day of fasting. First time felt a bit odd but after that fine. Never stay there for long though back up to the 4’s [retty fast your body won;t let you be there for long. Don’t worry about it enjoy it!

(Tammy Kidd) #7

You are a diabetes warrior! I would think that if you feel good i wouldn’t worry so much about your numbers.

(Karen Ogilvie) #8

You’re asymptomatic and unmedicated with this low BG? I’ve noticed an interesting correlation between this a impaired thyroid function in around a hundred people. Maybe it’s time to get some labs done. You’d need a T3, T4, and reverse T3 plus the TSH. Don’t let the doctor just test your TSH and tell you you’re “fine.”

Hmmmm, that raises a question.
I am 67 too, type II for 24 yrs. Started keto 11 months ago and immediately taken off industrial dose of long acting insulin. Then off metformin, cozzaar. Since I began LCHF then switched to keto over yrs am down 105 and another 10-15 to lose. In stall for months so increased my EF to frequent 3 day fasts. My BG can drop to 3.7 and I feel fine. I am hypothyroid, for yrs, on desiccated thyroid and all labs norm,imho, not my doc, free t3 could still be more optimal.
So would the low BG indicate my thyroid function could use a boost.I am very very cold still, dry skin. Getting natural thyroid in Canada the last 6 months is almost impossible so I haven’t upped it as hoarding what I do have. On 1/2 gr a day.30 mg.
Thanks for any insight.

(Karen Ogilvie) #10

I honestly could not say with any certainty why hypothyroid seems to coincide with asymptomatic hypoglycaemia on keto but after seeing this time and time again - every single person I’ve suspected and has had labs done has come back with suboptimal levels. Literally batting 100 here with this. It’s bizarre.

(Cathy Schroder) #11

I get readings in the threes sometimes. I asked my GP about this and he assured me that as I wasn’t taking any glucose lowering medications/herbal supplements that lower glucose levels that this wouldn’t be a problem. It never has been. Congratulations on achieving such fabulous results!!

(Allie) #12

I sometimes get readings that low too. If you feel OK, don’t worry.

I get freezing cold, bought an electric throw👍

Thnx Karen!

(Candy Lind) #15

Karen, I wonder constantly about my thyroid level (cold feet A LOT, and BP low-normal with symptoms), but I should emphasize I’ve never been told I’m T2D. Last A1c was high IMO, 110 I think, but doc ignored. Where can I read more, from you or others? And maybe find local help (Austin, TX)?

(Karen Ogilvie) #16

I’m found at Impulsive Keto on FB. We work with a functional medicine NP named Teresa Mealy who’s an expert on disfunctional thyroid and hormones.

(Ann Taylor) #17

I don’t think I have thought as much as I have since I started LCHF it is mind boggling at times :frowning:
I do like the fact though that I can connect with folk about it and thank you for the warm welcome here’s to the journey:

(Ann Taylor) #18

Thank you Darlene and for the warm welcome I hope to make friends whilst communicating :slight_smile:

(Ann Taylor) #19

Hi Mark 3 were 8-8 fast and then a couple through the day before eating then as you said it doesn’t stay for long, I seem to be around 4-4 - 5.2 then an hour after eating around 7ish, trying to eliminate foods that raise my glucose too much.

(Ann Taylor) #20

Thanks for that Karen whats asymptomatic? Your right though I do have a thyroid problem which is a bigger problem with the doctor as he will only do the TSH! And gave me Levothyroxin which I believe is synthetic, as I was on 9 different drugs and getting worse each year I decided to take my health into my own hands, to a degree the dr not very sympathetic and just kept giving one drug after another, ENOUGH i said! Anyhow that’s why Im where i am and trying to work it out. Changing dr next month which may start another journey where I hope they will work with me. As I understand it the NHS will not give any other drug for hyperthyroidism, and I have NEVER seen any lab work! Since I came off the statins and other drugs I have had no symptoms from my thyroid so thought I was okay until this last week with the 3.4 -3.8 readings and even then not felt unwell. will see what happens at next doctor. Just so you know the nurse told me that “the thyroid is not that important, it doesn’t do much” she said! That’s what I’m up against but I’ll get there!