Intermittent Fasting on keto

(Eleonora Fois) #1

Do you manage Intermittent Fasting on keto to loose weight?
How many hours do you manage to extend your fasting time?
Do you manage 72 hours fasting and if yes how many times do you manage that time in a month?

(Allie) #2

We have a regular monthly thread to chat about all things fasting, you may like to have a read through or ask any questions there as it’s a very active thread.

(Eleonora Fois) #3

(bulkbiker) #4

72 hours would usually be considered an extended fast… intermittent is usually a certain time within a 24 hour period like 18-6 or 16-8 for example.
I’m not a Berg fan so didn’t watch.

(Bob M) #5

I rarely watch videos. I used to fast 3 days per week every few weeks, when I was full into it.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #6

I combined 24, 36 and 72 hours of fasting each week.
I generally do 1 3 Day fast, 2 36 hour fasts, and the rest I eat OMAD.

(Daryl G Jackson ) #7

I get away with OMAD. With a fasting window of 20 hours usually, I try to get my macros in one meal, but usually I have to supplement in those 4 hours to come close to my macros of 80% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs. And this has helped me to lose weight along with better overall health. I have even stopped biting my fingernails since they are thicker and stronger, amazing.

(Eleonora Fois) #8

I wish I could start the same as you do! I hope to start today a longer fast, yesterday I was fasting for 24 hours but than I feel I needed to eat keto. I run regularly at the gym very long distance so maybe this is why I do not manage anymore to extend the fast. Do you do gym workouts or do you rest while fasting that long especially on the 72? thank you for your help. I always eat OMAD never had anything during the day only dinner…

(John) #9

I occasionally do an inadvertent fast which starts out as skipping a meal because I’m not hungry and then having to work late and skipping the next one. Ends up as a 24 to 30 hour fast and then I just eat normally again.

I’ve done this maybe 3 times in the past 4 weeks, all unplanned but surprisingly easily.

I am now in week 8 and seem to be fairly well fat adapted (energy levels stable and hunger under conscious control), so I may try some more planned IF, though I think alternate-day fasting with max 36 hours would be my target.

SERIOUSLY??
That’s 6 days fasting a week!!

(Carpe salata!) #11

Could be like breakfast, breakfast, dinner the next day, skip 2 days, dinner, skip a day.
In which case, it might really be 22, 34, 70 … something like that.

Ah I see.

(Bob M) #13

I recommend taking a break from that schedule. I was doing a lot of IF and long term fasts, but got to the point where I was getting ridiculously cold (especially my hands), even when trying to fast 22 hours. As soon as I ate, I was fine. I’m taking time off now and eating a lot. I think you need to build in some high calorie days or even weeks.

My theory is that combination of fasting and eating is so similar to the body to low calorie eating that the body can’t tell a difference. So, your basal metabolic rate starts diving. If you mix it up, and have some high calorie days, this might confuse your body.

(Eleonora Fois) #14

Yes I totally agree the key point is to trick the body and surprise it…too much routine is not good…I get extremely cold too on extended fasting…I would like ideally to train my body to eat only once a week on a keto OMAD but I need a long training to do it…I like fasting but what I like does not go along with my body coping with it…my metabolism is slow…I fasted too much so yes tricking the body is the key…

(Eleonora Fois) #15

I need a ‘buddy’ while fasting because being on your own is hard…in my family they all eat normally…I do not do any fasting with the kids I would never do it as they need to eat normal food…my husband does not like fasting…it is hard to extend the fast because the food at home is everywhere and unless I am in hotel without a fridge it is hard to keep going…but I notice that strictly keeping a keto with no cheating days there is much less cravings and it would be easier to extend the fast? Thank you all for your advice

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #16

Most of the time I am on a schedule, but I always deviate from it because I believe in still enjoying life. I am fat adapted, and I have more willpower these days so it’s easier to enjoy myself.

I work out 3 times a week and I fast each of those days, and feast on the days in between except the weekends when I am leaning towards feasting on both days.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #17

I did not mean at a time!

I meant I started off with 24, then 36 then 72
I do one 3 day fast a week OR 2 36 hour fasts, and the rest I eat OMAD.

@ctviggen Sorry i should have clarified!

(Scott H.) #18

I fast Monday through Thursday and Saturdays. I am off of work on Fridays and Sundays, so I usually eat two meals. In other words, I fast while at work. I drink coffee and water, but otherwise have no caloric intake, eating supper at about 8:30 most nights. I eat about 95% keto, meaning that I have less than one day a month where I might eat a few non-incidental carbs deliberately. It works pretty well for me.

When I have a day where this doesn’t work out–e.g., a lunch meeting–I don’t sweat it. If that happens once a week, I still fast four days. My biggest reason for doing this isn’t weight loss, though that has been good. The reason is mental clarity. I’ve got a high stress job that requires clarity all day long. This really helps. Also, like everyone else says, on bad days, I just eat some salt. Also, I try to drink lots of water.

Finally, I have been doing this for years. It’s normal for me now. Fasting=work schedule.

LOL, I should have realised :grin:
I thought you were cramming them all into 1 week!

(Eleonora Fois) #20

Hi guys I really think that to go on an extended fast doing keto the day before is not ideal. I end up always not able to extend the fast longer than 24 hours. If I have more carbs on a OAMD I will be much more ready to extend the fast even longer than to 48 hours…I do struggle to do this every week, at the moment I only manage to do a long fast especially beyond 4 days only once a while…I do fast for mental clarity and weight loss…I enjoy the day when I fast because I have more reflective space and I tend to not workout at the gym as the day when I eat…keto is at the moment difficult for me to manage my workout because of the long hours at the gym I need the carbs to recover as sometimes - twice a month - I run 20k…I hope to adjust into keto and extended fasting one day without doing a 20k run…I do struggle a lot guys to find a balance. If you have more suggestions please write to me…Happy Thursday to all of you