Intermittent Fasting (IF) -Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)

(Onkar) #1

Hello Experts & Experienced folks:

Question about IF. I have been doing 16:8 IF for past 2-3 weeks now.
Usually, I eat my last meal around 7-8 pm and then have lunch aroun12 pm.

When I get up in the morning, I have black coffee (just water and coffee) and then postwork out, I have about 30 mL of ACV diluted in a cup of water.

My question is: Does any of the above break my fast?
Also, any tips will be helpful.

I have come across contradictory information wrt use of ACV or coffee during IF.

Thanks in advance,

(Jeb Bower) #2

I thought one of the primary reasons behind IF was to reduce insulin spikes. Not a doctor, but I would think you should be fine given the fact that there are essentially 0 carbs in ACV and also since one of the benefits of ACV is that it is supposed to lowers blood sugar and insulin responses.

(Khara) #3

My understanding is anything under 50 calories shouldn’t break a fast. I believe this comes from Jason Fung(?). And if I remember right a small amount of cream in coffee or some bone broth, 50 calories max, should be fine.

(Diane) #4

What I’ve seen from Dr. Fung is that he states that even his recommendations are best guesses (albeit according to his own research into the area and according to the anecdotal data he’s collected from lots and lots of patient experiences) because definitive research has not been conducted. It’s a fairly new field of research and I believe it’s complicated and expensive to do the testing.

That said, I found the article in the link below helpful because the author discusses the idea that people fast with various goals in mind. He also explains his reasoning behind his determinations as to why some things, but not others, might break a fast. It provides useful information that allows you to make your own best guesses.