Intermittent fasting - can I be more liberal with carbs at dinner if I'm on 16-8?

(Bansaw) #1

Right now I’m on a regular Keto and being conservative with my carbs.

But if I try a 16-8 does that mean I can be slightly more liberal and include some potato, maybe half cup rice, and other things I would not normally do on Keto?
I mean, not to go crazy , but to be more liberal.

(Amy Ramadan) #2

You will probably just have to try and see. Everyone is different and handles carbs differently. In my opinion, a small amount probably wouldn’t make a huge difference, but it may lead to further craving carbs. Sorry if that wasn’t very helpful!! Good luck!!

(Running from stupidity) #3

16:8 doesn’t change the basic rules.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #4

This is not how keto works at all. If you were to ‘be more liberal’ you would just be low carb, not keto.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Because insulin is the primary fat-storage hormone, the point of eating a low amount of carbohydrate is to avoid stimulating the secretion of insulin any more than absolutely necessary (we can’t live without a certain minimum amount of insulin in our system). That doesn’t change, even if your eating pattern does. A lot of people have a higher carb tolerance than the 20 g/day we recommend here, but 20 g is a level that will get virtually anyone into ketosis. The only way to find out what your actual carb limit is, is to experiment.

Personally, I’m not going to risk it, even though I have reason to believe that my carb tolerance may be fairly high. And that is because i am a sugar/carb addict, and if I don’t keep my carbohydrate intake to the minimum, I risk bingeing on sugar and undoing all the good keto has done for me so far. Though I promise faithfully that, if I ever do decide to eat carbs again, I will give you all enough warning to buy stock in Dunkin’ Donuts, first! :doughnut:

(Running from stupidity) #6

I was explaining to a mate yesterday (while were playing Warframe online) that the reason I’ve never had a drink, nor done drugs, is that I am appallingly bad at moderation whereas I can cope with abstention. It’s mostly amusing because he was in the process of getting high during the conversation :slight_smile:

(Troy) #7

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Just getting visuals of this scenario/conversation makes me lol even more!!
Thinking of a PSA commercial or movie clip of some sort

Intermittant fasting is something that comes naturally after reaching 100% fat adaptation, and shouldn’t be forced. I found my eating windows starting to shorten around month 4, and then had my first spontaneous 24 hour IF around month 6.

Have pondered this a bit, after taking in various insights from Dr. Atkins, Dr. Phinney, and the Drs. Eades all of whom have guidelines phases for higher carb levels for folks after the initial induction period - as well as Dr. Fung, who focuses mainly on reducing the eating window.

Fung has pointed to the fact that how often you eat is actually as important, if not more, than what exactly you eat - when it comes to reducing insulin spiking, the key factor in turning around obesity and diabetes. At some point, what you eat does matter of course, it’s just that there’s a huge difference between high refined carb/sugar intakes and low. He’s referred to how traditional Asian people typically eat only 1-2 meals a day within an 8 hour period which contains a bowl of rice or rice noodles - and don’t get obese. They may have other health issues due to high sugar drinks or alcohol or smoking, but obesity was mostly unheard of in Asia before industrial fast food hit.

Some fat-adapted LCHF/keto folks who eat 3 meals a day plus snacks may actually have more overall insulin spikes than someone who eats less meals and has a higher carb intake involving low glycemic carbs (basmati rice, sweet potato, etc).

I combine both Dr. Fung’s info and Drs Phinney, Volek, and Eades in my Intermittent Fasting serveral days a week plus keto eating.

Once you’re 100% fat-adapted, combining Intermittent Fasting with Keto can be very effective for speeding body recomposition in my experience, and testing it out to see what happens for you is important.

I’ve been delighted to find that enjoying all my daily carbs in an abundant way in a small eating window on an OMAD day (120grams total/60 net on occasion, but usualliy around 40-50net) mostly counting only the refined carbs/sugar and high glycemic ones - not counting veg fiber or erythritol carbs or yogurt fertmented lactose carbs - digests them quickly and is very satisfying and has not slowed my body recomposition.

On the other hand, I aim to fit in more protein via having two meals during the eating window several times a week. When I do that, I’m strategic by eating a very low carb first meal so that I can possibly enjoy a foodie dinner that contains wine plus a keto dessert. :sparkles:

(Marie Dantoni) #9

I have also found that I can safely go to 50g or so by doing omad, or sometimes 2mad in a 4 or 5 hour window…provided the first meal is less than 4g net.

(Chris) #10

I have no idea how long you’ve been keto. I’d wait at least 90 days after being under 20g total (not net) carbs per day before attempting anything.

If you have any glucose dysregulation (pre-diabetic, or type 2 diabetic) then adding in more carbs once a day will cause blood glucose swings which are not beneficial.

These will reduce, over time, as your body adapts, but they won’t disappear. There are significant health benefits to keeping blood glucose low and steady, as opposed to fluctuating signficantly through the day.

Check out www.bloodsugar101.com for more detail and a wealth of studies on the subject.

(Casey Crisler) #12

I’m curious. Why “not net” carbs?

(Chris) #13

Because in general it makes it far too easy to allow too much carbohydrate back in the diet. It’s the biggest downfall of Atkins.

Hi @Bansaw - I find I can eat more carbs with IF. I’ve been fat adapted for about 18 months and IF for 9 months. OMAD allows me to indulge in regular ice cream - I just make sure to have it as part of my meal, so that I spike my insulin all at once.

(Running from stupidity) #15

As Jason Fung says, when we eat is as important as what we eat.

If sweetners spike insulin, as in diet drinks, is it okay to drink them with a meal and spike insulin all at once?

(Running from stupidity) #17

“Better” is probably a more useful word here than “OK.” In that you’d be helping yourself more by avoiding them entirely, but if you aren’t going to do that, then yes, all at once is the better option.

(Robert C) #18

I would be careful with this.

If you are keto then I assume your meals are usually high fat.
If you add carbs to the high fat meal you are going to raise insulin (fat storage hormone) significantly AND at the same time, supply yourself with a bunch of fat for storage.

That is not keto anymore and, in fact, I would not be surprised to find out that you would store less fat by adding carbs to a non-keto meal (like with equal parts protein, carbs and fat).

(Robert C) #19

The problem with diet soda is not the insulin spike - it is the damage to the gut microbiome. Those molecules were never expected by our body.

Hey @Gillybean - I confess I do this sometimes, and based on the rationale you gave.

What I have stopped is drinking diet drinks throughout the day.

@RobC - I was not previously aware of that allegation. A quick Google search was enlightening. Thanks for bringing it up.

I may just have to limit my indulgences to full fat full sugar ice cream. Things could be worse.