Intermittent fasting and keto?

(Dut) #1

Has anyone does this? Does it really work?

(Robert C) #2

Yes, it works very well - for a while.

You should probably undertake an IF scheme after you are sure you are fat-adapted (after about 6 weeks or more). This is to be sure you are burn body fat instead of accidentally pushing your body into calorie restriction (and accompanying metabolic slowdown).

IF is another way to keep insulin low for a bit longer.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, it will accelerate fat loss.

If you have a little weight to lose and/or you are on a near-goal-weight plateau, it can help break the plateau.

(bulkbiker) #3

Depends on why you want to do it… as a T2 diabetic I found that IF and keto allowed me to reverse the condition pretty fast while loosing over 100 pounds in weight. If you are in that position then I would heartily recommend it.
I stopped eating breakfast the day after I was diagnosed and am currently following a one meal a day (OMAD) eating pattern for the month of January.

(Dut) #4

Yes I have alot of weight to lose Im 5ft 5 inches weighed 301 on January 4th. I was 283 last week. Started IF this week I’m at 279 now but also on the keto. I’m just skipping breakfast

(Dut) #5

Your just doing one meal a day? I just started the 16 /8 . Wonder if the 16/ 8 is any good

(bulkbiker) #6

Yes it should be… once you become fully fat adapted then you can try reducing meals more but that may take some time… I’ve been following a keto way of eating for over 3 years. 16:8 is a great way to start.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #7

Start with 16/8 or 18/6. Don’t snack between meals as well if possible.

Wait to be fat adapted before you try OMAD or EF.

IF helped me get in touch with satiety signals. Still don’t have them all the time but much more often now. I do several days of IF or OMAD a week and are now adding a 2+ day EF to the weekly mix. But I have been fat adapted a long time.

(Bryce P.) #8

100% agree. 18-6 is a great IF to help bridge to EF

(Kay) #9

I’ve been doing IF for the last few weeks normally 16:8 but as time going on if I’m not hungry I’ll go longer and do 18-22 hr fasts some days. It’s definitely getting easier and I’m hoping to break my 7 week plateau sometime soon!

(Dut) #10

Are you doing with the Keto diet too?

I thinks it’s pretty safe to assume that everyone here is eating keto :slightly_smiling_face:

(Kay) #12

Yes absolutely keto first, then once adapted I tried IF, really enjoy this WOE

(Dut) #14

Yea I started IF cuz my weight stalled for 3 days. I lost 19 pounds 1st 2 weeks on keto. Then it stayed like that. Then threw IF into the mix and lost six pounds in a week. My weight was 301 wen I 1st started

(Daphne Pitts) #15

I am also wondering about IF. I am not diabetic but need to lose about 50 lbs. I tried IF right out the gate last year…supervised…I did 42 hr fasts. I was only able to lose 8 lbs the first month…none after that and then began having a lot of irregularities in my heartbeat. I started in January and by June when the palpitations had become unbearable, I saw a cardiologist who recommended a lot of things i didnt agree with (beta blocker to slow my pulse…my resting BP is 106/60…so…NO)

I quit IF and the palpitations stopped after 5 days. I gradually transitioned away from keto altogether and put on the 8 I had lost plus 7 more.

This past weekend, I decided to start IF again along with keto but my fasting interval is only 18 to 24 hrs. Anyone with any suggestions to help this time be successful

(Cindy) #16

Daphne, were you keeping tabs on your electrolytes the first time you were fasting? I think palpitations can be a side effect of an electrolyte imbalance.

(Daphne Pitts) #17

@cw2001
Yes I was…I was mixing Remyte, Remag and Himalayan salt in my water on fasting days

(Cindy) #18

Are those normal for you? The Remyte and Remag? Maybe you were supplementing too much? Just thinking along the lines of “what was different” during your fasts.

(Daphne Pitts) #19

@cw2001
I was used to those supplements, having taken them before. I was not doing much different except … I was fasting🤔

(Sharon Mason) #20

I also had heart palpitations . I take magnesium and palpitations are minimal or none. You might want to research magnesium. I thought it might be electrolytes too but I was covering all bases with electrolytes.

(Daphne Pitts) #21

Yes, I was already on Magnesium and electrolytes as well. I just figured that the fasting window was so long that my body percieved it as a stressor and the adrenals just kicked out too much epinephrine :disappointed: