Insulin sensitive women mentioned by Dr. Jeffery Gerber

(Sarah Bruhn) #1

Just listening to some of the dudes podcasts and came across the interview with Jeffery Gerber noting that a group that finds it very difficult to loose weight are insulin sensitive women who seem to be able to store a lot of subcutaneous fat easily and it rang a bell for me. He didn’t really say much that was helpful however in how to overcome this except to eat less (which i have done, trust me)
I’m 32, never had any known issue with blood sugars or associated disorders, although have had my gallbladder out and had a fatty liver (yet to be tested as to how that is going on keto) i’m an hourglass and carry weight in my arms and thighs, not apple shaped even at 30kg over a healthy weight. Have managed to loose 20kg over 2 years from first low carb and then Keto (past 5 months). I have stalled for 2 months. I didn’t have an initial large loss of weight but I did loose my migraines, joint pain, anxiety and depression so i’m never coming off keto.
I’ve tried fasting for 2 days in a week, IF 18/6, eating 1400 calories per day, eating more and eating less, and am now adding exercise (again) to try to kick my body into loosing the last 10kg of unwanted weight.
I’m loosing hope that I will ever be at a comfortable weight, should i just accept the weight i am at as i am likely to be healthy on keto anyway? Any ideas?

(Karen) #2

Try Brenda’s Zorn fast.

K

(Jean Taylor) #3

It seems like a lot of people post about stalling and they do different things to break it. A lot seem to change their fasting windows or move into ef from if. As far at the fatty liver goes I think that should improve on keto and fasting.

My understanding is that you liver creates triglycerides from extra carbs and starts storing them when you’re in a non fasted state so your body can use them later, when you’re fasting, for energy. The fatty liver thing happens because people eat ALL the time now so it just keeps making and storing…

When you reduce carbs and get into ketosis there are a lot fewer carbs and you should be using most of them. I seem to remember Fung saying the liver dumping triglycerides into the blood steam if one of the 1st things that happens when you fast. Which means your blood triglycerides go up for a little while then drop after your liver clears out.

If you haven’t already I would look up “the complete guide to fasting” by jason fung and jimmy more. Fung has several books out now that may be of interest.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #4

If you’re MHO (metabolically healthy, obese), there’s really not much in terms of how you process food for keto to do for you. That said, fatty liver, migranes, joint pain, anxiety, depression… not really MHO. It’s great that those things are fixed.

KCKO strictly with the basics for a month, and see what happens.

That’s me too. Metabolically very healthy (per recent blood work) only 0.3 lbs of visceral fat vs 39 lb of subcutaneous (per recent DEXA) and 27% body fat trying to get down to a healthy 22% for esthetic reasons. I have tried everything, I’ve been at this for 8 months, with an initial loss of 30 lbs in the first 4 months and nothing since.

I do long fasts, IF all the time, eat a lot in between, etc. it’s beyond frustrating…

(M G) #6

Hmm you probably have tried it all/ seen it all… so it may sound redundant but some of the things that have helped me through stubborn stalls are: changing the fasting window times by + or - 1 hour; alternating carb macros every other day ( 15-18 carbs one day, 0 carbs the next), and quitting dairy for good. I also couple high intensity training on the days I eat the most carbs…

Its very frustrating :frowning_face:

(Candy Lind) #7

It might be that your body wants this extra weight while you are going through some healing processes. My friend who got me to go keto got started with the ugly discovery of calcification and beginnings of NAFLD when she had an emergency appendectomy. She’s lost over 80 pounds now and is in a frustrating stall, but I think her body is just trying to get some more healing done and keep her cortisol from shooting out of her ears (she is transitioning from one high-stress job to another and moving 500 miles, to boot. :exploding_head:).

And … think about the possibility of your healthiest weight being on the upper end of the healthy range - we voluptuous females need to own it instead of stressing out that we don’t look like VS models. SCREW VS - I’ll shop at Frederick’s for my frufru! LOL If you feel good, maybe you’re where you need to be. Otherwise, KCKO and eventually you’ll find the way to your healthiest you.

No expert but unless you have previously been drinking alcohol to excess, the FLD is often associated with insulin resistance. If the FLD has not resolved, you may want to get your fasting insulin levels checked. You have some signs of possible insulin resistance but in other ways you do not have IR. Were you heavy as a child? Fat cells can be protective against IR since it gives the glucose a place to go and people who were heavy as children often have more fat cells

(Sarah Bruhn) #9

thanks for your answer- I was not heavy until i hit puberty around 14 then i started gaining wait, had 4 children and here we are now. :):grinning:

(Sarah Bruhn) #11

Hi, thanks for the answer,
I am starting to suspect this is exactly where my body whats to be for whatever reason, and i feel as healthy and energetic as i ever have. I guess the idea that “fat is bad” is wrong in more ways than one :sunny:

(Sarah Bruhn) #12

thanks definitely KCKO

Hi,

I would suggest that if your body has laid down fat in your liver (non alcoholic fatty liver disease), then that is a sign of being metabolically unhealthy, even if no other signs are apparent. Unless you have had a fasting insulin test or better yet an insulin clamp test while taking a glucose tolerance test, I don’t know how anyone would know that they don’t have high insulin, and insulin resistance.

If you have a look at some of the work Ivor Cummins and Kraft have done on the subject of insulin resistance, then you will see the growing evidence that the body chooses to lay down fat preferentially - firstly under the skin, then around the organs, and only inside the organs (liver and pancreas) as a last resort. And it is this interal organ fat that is the most harmful.

So I would prioritise getting rid of that liver fat (which may well reduce subcutaneous fat at the same time).

I was looking at an interview on this only a couple of days ago, so I will link to it below, in case you are interested.

I hope that helps.
Please note - I do not believe that carrying a few excess pounds is unhealthy, and I completely agree that some of us are intended to carry a few extra pounds with comfort. But I don’t think NAFLD is ever a sign of good metabolic health.