Instant Pot in Australia and New Zealand

(icam108) #41

Hi Clare,

Thanks for your post. I was just about to go out and buy a Phillips All in One Cooker but your post and thread have persuaded me otherwise. The Teflon Pot in the Phillips version seems to flake off so I like the idea of the Stainless Steel inner pot.

I live in Australia, so do you think plug adapters are easy to get for this appliance?

Is the pot you have, the 6 Qt, 5.5 L suitable for people who live alone? Or is it too big?

This pot will cost my AUD$250 but I guess its best to get top of the range than something that will have problems.

Any other tips about purchase?

Thank you!

All the best,
Ian (Melbourne)

Hi Ian, the power cord youā€™ll need is widely available. Itā€™s the same sort you would use with an electric kettle or rice cooker, (or even a PC/computer monitor)
You should be able to pick one up easily at an electrical store. You may even have one already.

Do make sure you order the 220/240v Instant Pot from Amazon UK site. To ensure that the voltage is compatible with the Australian mains supply.

The 6qt is what I have. No problem if you are cooking smaller amounts in it. Although itā€™s very handy to batch cook and freeze the extra portions if you are cooking for 1.

If I was you I would try order a spare seal or two to have handy and save on postage.

All the best!

(icam108) #43

Thanks Clare, your are a real helpful pioneer on this product! The cooker cannot ship from Amazon.com.uk until early July so I thought Iā€™d ask this question: Is insurance worth getting - 20 pounds? If the product is so good, maybe it doesnā€™t need to be insured? 20 pounds is stretching my budget but if you think it well worth while I shall do it.
All the best,
Ian

Oh I have no idea. I guess youā€™d have to ship the product back to UK if you needed to claim. Honestly, I couldnā€™t advise you either way. For what itā€™s worth Iā€™ve had my Instant Pot 18 months and not had any problems with it. I didnā€™t buy any extra insurance. Only you can make the call about what best suits your circumstances. All the best with whatever you decide :slight_smile:

(Olivia) #45

Hi Clare - is there any way of staying notified of when the Instapot goes on sale on Amazon? Or did you just keep checking online?

Do you know of any other brands with stainless steel pots that are easily available in AUS/NZ?

Not that I know ofā€¦I just kept checking and it just happened to be around the black Friday sale so I got lucky.
I did look for a local stainless steel version but only ever saw Teflon coated ones here in NZ.

(Olivia) #47

Thanks for that info! Is there a particular danger in pressure cookers having teflon coating?

Not as far as I know. I personally avoid Teflon in general, and wouldnā€™t want to invest in an expensive appliance that had it.

Iā€™m guessing that the Teflon would degrade faster when used to cook under pressure.
Any flaking and peeling would likely limit the longevity of the appliance and Iā€™m not sure if those manufacturers have a setup where you can buy spare parts.
You have none of those concerns with a stainless steel inner pot and can also use any cooking utensils you want with it.

(Alan Murray) #49

I wanted to buy a Slow Cooker/Pressure Cooker in New Zealand but could only find non-stick varieties for around $300 (Maybe a little less in sales etc). I read this thread, was amazed at the massive following Instant Pot has and bought one off Amazon.co.uk for around $300 delivered. It has just arrived and really looking forward to experimenting! I bought the only one available which was the Duo 2.

(Ruth Lawrence-Blackwell) #50

Iā€™ve been on Amazon.uk and they say they canā€™t deliver it to Australiaā€¦can you help by explaining how I go about getting one please, anyone?
Thank you

(Debra Dane) #51

I have been researching and it looks like when amazon launched in australia they killed the delivery from uk.
A friend has a New Wave cooker and recommends it highly. Hth.

(Just add butter) #52

Just get an All-in-One Multi Cooker, same as Instant Pot.

Here in Oz I have a Tefal, had it for at least 4yrs, no problems. I recently bought 4 Sunbeam Aviva for nightshift work cook ups, made awesome Red & Green curries for 25 people. Bought from Myer on Sale down from $189 to $129 free delivery. Just checked back to normal price but Myer Ebay store still has for $129 free delivery.

Things I like cooking most:

1. Bone broth, just so easy
  2. Curries
  3. Beef cheeks