Instant pot butter chicken

(Cassandra Higdon) #21

Can you use frozen chicken?? Does it change the cook time? (I have a lot of frozen meat lol trying to use it all, and I’ve heard it cooks super fast n the instant pot , even frozen, but haven’t tried yet…

(Maria W) #22

I don’t put frozen meat in the instant pot often but the few times I have it worked great! IIRC I didn’t have to extend the time. I don’t know if it would be advisable with a whole frozen chicken though.

(outlawpirate) #23

Great recipe! One of my pottery students told me to try this specific recipe, and it’s delcious. I doubled the recipe and froze half of it in vacuum sealed containers. The bonus of cooking Indian food in the Instant Pot—at least with this recipe—is that the house didn’t smell afterwards. I love the aroma of Indian food, just not 4 days later. :wink:

https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/butter-chicken-murgh-makhani/

Older thread but I wanted to ask: do you think browning the chicken first (saute in the IP) would add flavor?

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #25

Trust me, no need at all.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #27

Trying this tonight great idea

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #28

Booyah – just hit 1000 clicks on this recipe. Don’t thank me, thank the “butter chicken lady” (and the magic of garam masala, butter, and heavy cream.)

(Windmill Tilter) #29

Lol. Make that 1001. I’d eat a fried sock if it had enough butter chicken sauce…:yum:

I’m making this tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe!

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #30

It’s legitimately as good as any Indian joint’s butter chicken. Superb

(Karen Thompson) #31

I made this for the 1st time tonight, using 3 lbs of frozen chicken thighs. I increased the time to 15 min, but that was not enough time. I pressure cooked it for 6 more minutes. I’ll go for 20 minutes next time if the chicken is frozen.

(Tammy) #32

I think browning the chicken would add more flavor. I tried this recipe tonight and it was very good. But, I made the butter chicken recipe from Head Bangers Kitchen (non-instant pot) and it was a bit better. His recipe does call for browning the chicken, so next time I am going to marry the two recipes. I think this would give me a magnificent butter chicken.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #33

This sounds great; I wouldn’t go to the extra effort personally. It turns out perfectly for me. Hard to go wrong with the mix of spices and butter and cream.

I’ve played with this recipe a few times and you can, in a pinch, sub out fresh garlic and ginger for powdered versions. You can also play around with the spice mix a bit. My guess is the turmeric is less essential than the cumin and garam masala. Really just hard to go wrong with this general mix of ingredients; the proportions are key but you still end up with a decent tasting recipe even if you mess with them!