Instant Pot Beef Roast, a priori

instantpot
beef
recipe

(Meeping up the Science!) #1

I threw this together randomly after spying a super sale - swanky angus beef for 3.50 a pound? Oh yesss. Why a priori? Well, it’s customizeable and I basically just deduced the heck out of this meat. It was an old grad school joke we made about cooking which…well, I don’t even remember, but it was still funny in the moment, okay?

Hail to the beef?

The victim as charged. Beautiful meat, really. Yes, I have crap light in my apartment, okay:

Laziness dictates I start the sear right in the IP. Just hit “sautee” and let her rip!

First flip - make sure you let it sear enough or she’ll stick because the IP pot is stainless. See the fond on either side? Deliciousness in the making.

After this, we want to get all that delicious fond out of the pan. How? With my classy friend here. Toss in a bit. Don’t need much since the beef will release decent water - I added about 8 ounces. Most gets left behind, but it leaves a nice taste - and yes, white wine, at that.

I then had to flavor it. Chucked a few rosemary springs in so the roast can sit on it, whole garlic, a bay leaf, and 1 tsp of this. This is my stock magic right here. Barely any carbs for the whole recipe, but adds delicious beef oomph.

Added 3g total to the recipe.

With saute on I deglazed the pan by 1) removing the roast, 2) tossing a bit of salt in, and 3) whisking it about. I added 1tbsp of butter because why not? This is a picture of the roast back in the pan, with rosemary underneath.

I cooked this for 55 minutes on low pressure. Could probably have done 35, but I wasn’t sure it was tender yet. Came out fabulous! The result is about 5 meals of meat (about 5oz meat each) for me. Even if you eat more, can’t beat just spending 15 minutes to prepare dinner before letting it cook for 55 with no fuss!

You made me look up the meaning of priori. :smirk:

That meat looks delish…five meals, ten bucks of meat…sheesh…can’t beat that!

And great job photo documenting, too!

(Kevin Ruther) #3

I’m going to try out this recipe this week. We got an IP recently and haven’t had the chance try the "sear’ by “sautee” option yet.

:smiley: