Indian butter chicken (Murgh Makhani) (from America's Test Kitchen)

(Bob M) #1

I thought this recipe was great:

We couldn’t find a serrano chile, so we used a jalapeno. I did not replace the sugar with a sweetener such as allulose, which would save some carbs. We used 3 pounds of chicken and fat-free Greek Yogurt, only because the proteins are supposed to brown and provide a charred flavor. For 3 pounds of chicken, I used 3/4 cup yogurt. I thought high fat yogurt would limit the browning. For my oven, I need to get the meat closer to our broiler element, as we didn’t get enough browning.

I thought the 3 pounds chicken per sauce was a pretty good ratio of chicken per sauce.

We forgot to put in the fresh cilantro. Tasted great without it though.

We cooked the sauce days in advance and reheated.

1/2 cup tomato paste = 25g carbs, 1 tablespoon sugar = 13 grams carbs. 1/2 cub Greek yogurt = 4 grams carbs. Somewhere maybe near 50 grams for the whole thing, which is easily 4 servings.

Butter chicken is AWESOME!!!

I’ve got ton of cool ideas and recipes watching ATK!

(Bob M) #3

ATK does have a lot of great recipes, if you can make it past the many high-carb options they do. The above recipe, in particular, was just like you’d find at an Indian restaurant, only with more meat.

I find ATK to be a microcosm of dieting. It seems like you have people who are heavy or thin. No one seems to be in between (at least not on TV, anyway). I saw a thin woman who remade chocolate chip cookie, ice cream sandwiches, so the cookies were soft while frozen. The person discussing everything with her was much heavier. I was thinking to myself that the thin woman probably had one ice cream sandwich, and was full and didn’t need to eat for hours. Whereas I’m sure I’d be like “That was good! Think I’ll have another! That was good, think I’ll have another!”…until I would have to force myself from not eating more. AND I’d be starving 30 minutes later.

Some thin folks just seem to have some type of appetite feedback/suppressant that I don’t have when it comes to sugary food.

I started to think roasted chicken thighs are a bit boring and the pretty tasteless meat would need some sauce… This recipe gave me some ideas. I would skip the yogurt and obviously the sugar (I will be happy if the tomato and onion won’t make it too sweet! I hate sweet meat) but a big part of the sauce sounds good :wink:

But that’s not how humans work, necessarily… (Or my mind. I always am shocked when someone get satiated by some carby sandwich or an apple, no matter what.) Some people need big meals, no matter their body fat. And I find it logical that some carby thing makes many of us hungrier. Even if I see hints that people get satiated by tiny carby meals like sandwiches… So surely that happens too but many of us never were like that and never will be. Though as time passes, I lose the ability to eat big carby meals. Unless they are somewhat carby but super fatty, that probably will work forever. Fat doesn’t satiate me well so it can’t keep me from eating a ton…

(B Creighton) #5

I’ll give it a whirl. I need a new chicken recipe… I typically just use a garlic, herb sauce,

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #6

Love it. and the another recipe I saw there would go well with it. Ethiopian collard Greens

collard greens

NOPE! I have a whole lot of ZERO when it comes to that!

What?

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #9

Though some cooks add sugar out of habit. eg a Tomato sauce. Or Chinese stir fry.
Even pre Keto I never did that. It’s a bit like sugar in tea or coffee, don’t miss what you never had…

I love Butter Chicken nice and spicy! But I use full fat Greek Yogurt. I love Indian and Pakistani foods!!

That’s so crazy to me, tomato is sweet to begin with… But people in my country sometimes do it to PEAS… The thing is so very sweet and often used with carrots, I always avoided peas when I wasn’t home as adding sugar and not adding paprika were the two crimes they could do to my pea dish… And they even did the latter. In Hungary. (I can’t translate the thing but we have a dish type with most vegs and some other plants, roux is used in them. It’s the normal veggie dish. Most have paprika.) Even the 2 pea soups I know has paprika.

(I admit I ate tomato soup with sugar in my younger times… Well. Exceptions tend to happen here and there… I even have one nice meat dish with sweetener in it. A little but it’s part of it and it’s not bad. It’s disturbing that I say this but true.)

Lucky. I had to train myself out of sweetening it. The coffee one, I mean. The tea was quick and easy, I only needed proper, tasty tea leaves…

By the way, I only saw 10% fat Greek yogurt and I thought Greek yogurt means it’s 10% fat. As it’s very nearly always the case here. But then I saw a low-fat one (IDK, 7%?). 10% is low enough! (Never was a yogurt person. I am a sour cream person. 20% fat unless I manage to find the rare, elusive 25% one and not for double price at that… If it’s dairy, the fattier, the better for me ;))

(Jane) #13

I do too and where I live I have to make it myself if I want any.

I bought this cookbook and use it all the time and everything I have made was delicious. It is a book of Instant Pot Indian recipes, so very convenient and doesn’t heat up my kitchen in the summer. The butter chicken and tikka masala make more sauce that you need so the recipe recommends freezing the other half.

(Jane) #14

That looks good! I will try it next year with my trunip greens from my garden.

(Jane) #15

Saw a neat trick to make cilantro last longer. Put it in a glass of water, cover with the plastic bag you brought it home in and put in the refrigerator. Lasts 2-3 times longer that way.

(Bob M) #16

@Janie That is a good idea. I’ll have to try that next time, as I just found the batch of cilantro in the fridge…and had to toss it.

@Pjam Those collards do look good, and meet my criteria for eating most (all?) vegetables: either fermented or cooked.

@GreeneggsNham Does using the full fat yogurt still allow the proteins to burn, which I think was the idea behind using the non-fat stuff? I will try full fat next time, as I didn’t like the non-fat stuff to eat by itself.

@coopdawg (which seems to be gone?) I think @lfod14 was saying that he has no appetite feedback/suppressant for something like ice cream sandwiches.

I started out as a body builder, way back when. So, I have the ability to not eat things, even if they are in front of me. No junk food, no ice cream, etc. If, HOWEVER, I DO eat some, then I overeat. Give me ice cream, and I’ll eat at least 2 bowls or pieces of ice cream cake or sandwiches…and want more.

So, if I worked in the kitchens of America’s Test Kitchen, where you have to eat what you make in order to test it, I’d weigh much more than I do now.

(Bill) #17

“The cheese adds unhealthy saturated fats to the dish.”

Sigh… they just can’t help themselves can they…

(Bob M) #18

We had this again, and it’s a great dish. (Regardless of how much “saturated fat” it has. :wink:)

DAMNIT! Forgot to report back, I made it about a week after you posted it…AWESOME!.

I could literally eat butter chicken until something bad happens! Worst case, I’d free up some room… for more butter chicken!

(Bob M) #20

Thanks! It’s a great recipe.

I will buy something like this from a restaurant, but it’s way more expensive, as they’ll only give 6 ounces of meat if you’re lucky. With this recipe, and adding extra chicken, my family of 4 can have a meal and have at least one lunch for my wife.

(Alec) #21

I love curry. I do a great butter chicken:

Chicken thighs (as fatty as possible) chopped up, fry up a bit
Cream (lots)
Butter (lots)
Butter Chicken spice mix (yes, yes, not carni)

Cook up in a large pan, simmer for 20mins (spices seep into the chicken), pour out into a large bowl and consume. No rice (of course!).